Friday 7 January 2022

Dance: Matthew Bourne's The Nutcracker

Tonight, North London Friends was off to - Matthew Bourne's production of The Nutcracker, at Sadler's Wells! Aw man, I was dying to see this! Well, they had their own tickets, and all were already sold out - but they were more expensive than I tend to go for, anyway. So I booked one of my regular seats, in the gods, a single seat to the side. Perfect. (Annoyingly, CT offered tickets to this - very briefly - last year, but by the time I checked, they were all gone. But my seat isn't expensive anyway.) Had to reset my password - they've enhanced the security requirements for passwords.

I had an exhausting day - a second interview for that job (which went well), and a scurry to get some essential work done before my boss went home. And in between, I popped into the office - which was completely empty - to clear out my desk. Didn't get all the work done either - I guess that's for Sunday evening, in a panic. Anyway, by evening, I was well ready for some downtime.. from the office, I'd have walked, but as I was coming from home, it was a little further, and I took the bus. Which was kind enough to arrive at exactly the moment I did! How obliging, just when I needed it. And dropped me around the corner from the theatre. Where long queues snaked to the door - they were checking, well, whatever you had! Confused patrons were asking what they had to show, and were told.. whatever! Covid certs, negative test results.. whatever was easiest. So I dug out and flashed my Covid cert, and she instantly waved me in.

I treated myself to the lift to the second circle, and naturally, made straight for the bar. Where I had what I must say was a very overpriced, and rather watery, Sauvignon Blanc. Ah well. As I sipped it, while wandering around because there were no free seats, it occurred to me how weird it is for me to be there without an accompanying Meetup group! Anyway, I finally found a quiet corner where I could people-watch:


And when I'd finished my drink, I climbed to my cosy, solitary seat at the side:


Ooh, was I looking forward to this. But the opening, in an orphanage, was familiar.. so I checked at the interval, and sure enough, I saw this online during lockdown! Never mind, it's always worth seeing twice.. as usual, make sure you have a look around the stage, where visual gags abound. And you know something? I think they changed the ending! So.. whoopee for seeing it twice! Even worth braving the freezing cold. As I made my way to the bus back, one of a pair of what seemed very irate binmen glared at me as I walked around him, and as I passed, remarked, "It's your doing, you know!" (Huh? Was he talking about me blocking his path? or him blocking mine? or the rubbish?) Anyway, after I froze my toes off waiting, the bus finally arrived just before he made his way down to us. Which was nice.

Tomorrow - ironically, the most expensive thing I've booked - I'm headed with London European Club to an Albrecht Durer exhibition at the National Gallery. I could have booked for free if I'd taken out membership, but I don't think I'd get the value of it. We finally got access to the free audio guide that comes with the booking, accessible through our smartphones, today, and of course I'd picked up my headphones. Anyway, we're meeting beforehand at Notes Coffee.

That's around lunchtime - and in the evening, London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) is headed to Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, in Charing Cross Theatre. Not far from the National Gallery - I guess I'll hang around for dinner in the area. Now, this was a funny one, because the organiser and I both booked with TAC - but when someone else wanted to book, he went to the theatre website, where it said tomorrow's performances were cancelled! Much to-ing and fro-ing eventually clarified that actually, the performances are going ahead, but only for an invited audience - including TAC. Well, don't we feel privileged! 

On Sunday, I'm with Discover London - History Walks and Events for a walk entitled Bawdy Borough: Poverty, Prostitutes and Playhouses. Cash on the day, annoyingly - I just about have it, as long as she doesn't mind a bit of change!

And on Monday, back with LCMTG, for a Gabrieli Consort & Players concert at Wigmore Hall. And wouldn't you know it, the organiser gave his seat number - so, when I saw the seat beside him was free, I booked it! Well, I know him now..

No comments:

Post a Comment