Thursday 27 January 2022

Comedy: Emmanuel Sonubi & Yuriko Kotani

Tonight, I wasn't really seeing anything - but CT then advertised two shows at 2Northdown for tonight. So I booked for both! As you do.

Now, I often head to The Upper Crust, in Liverpool Street Station, for something to eat - in fact, I did so today, and it was delicious. However, I'd also noticed that they do hot chocolate, in different flavours. Since I was picking up my bus from outside of there, I said hmm, what about a mint hot chocolate in the station, just before I head off? So I had one, and it was lovely! I'll be back. As for the bus.. I turned in the wrong direction for the stop, and ended up walking for ages to the next! I'd forgotten that the stops around there are in a weird order, F then E then G..

Anyway, I arrived at the venue in plenty of time. Got my name ticked off - I think I might have been the only cheap ticket customer! And then I ordered a wine - gratified to see they've increased the range of glassware now, and you can have a large glass. And had an excellent packet of crisps, taking a seat safely in the third row. Weird how many decided to sit in the front row, tonight, when they had a choice not to..

Emmanuel Sonubi was first up, and - being a big chap - made a lot of his past as a bouncer. Also played the race card a lot. Both comedians tonight had WIP shows, practicing for the Edinburgh Fringe.. he spent a lot of time checking material on his tablet, and was initially unsure of himself - but as the show continued, he warmed up, and really was hilarious!

An hour's gap separated the acts - most of his audience left, and I decided this was a good time to hit the bar again, before the next crowd arrived. The second act was Yuriko Kotani, a Japanese lady who's been living here for quite a while, but still has a pronounced Japanese accent. Now, she was nominally the headliner - and the (face) value of her tickets was more than the other guy's - but honestly, I found him better. I know her act was WIP, but she often seemed unsure of herself. Still, she was funny - and it was nice that a Japanese couple in the audience came up afterwards to say hi to her. Not sure whether she knew them, but they were certainly all happy to chat away in Japanese.. Anyway, a good night was had, and Google Maps was happy to suggest several bus options home for me, all leaving from the same stop. Cold as the night is, I couldn't bear to be stood around freezing any longer than was necessary, and took the first that arrived. Which worked out perfectly.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and finally get to pick up my new phone! Film at the weekend is likely to be Belfast - simply the best thing that's on in the daytime. Written and directed by Kenneth Branagh, and describes his childhood there. Not much about the Troubles, I believe - after all, his family left before it got too heavy - and the film has earned both praise and criticism for that. Personally, I think we have heard quite enough about them - time to see a different side to the place. Anyway, as usual, I'll see it in the Omniplex.

The Stansted Express isn't running again on Sunday, damnit. And I come back to London, and we'll see how we go, job-hunt-wise.

On Monday, I booked for another Zoom talk - this is run by a new group to me, The Garden Talks (TGT), and the talk for the evening is Are We Living in the Age of Persecution? Which promised, hopefully, to be more interesting than the last online talk I attended - on canals! But just today, Up in the Cheap Seats announced an outing to see Taboo, a charity 25th anniversary concert, celebrating the original musical by Boy George. Taking place at the Palladium, and better than half-price tickets from Show Film First! So I thought that sounded rather better, and booked it. Similarly priced tickets available with London Box Office for that day. 

On Tuesday, I've plumped for something I've seen advertised a lot, but never attended - again on Zoom, this time it's a Free Tuesday Sing-a-long for Health and Pleasure, courtesy of Global Music Fusion & Arts.  As advertised by Free Stuff and Free Events - which might just be the first thing I've done with them. Happens weekly, apparently, lasts an hour - the words are on-screen. Could be good.

On Wednesday, my first Meetup of the year with Civilised London! And as usual, it's dinner - yum! We're off again to Little Georgia, meeting beforehand at The Crown.

Next Thursday, heading with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - and I was lucky to see it, what with Meetup not even suggesting the event when I was looking for something that day! If it hadn't been for some mention over the last couple of events with them, of some event happening next week.. Anyway, we're off to see the LSO at the Barbican - wildcard tickets sadly sold out by the time I booked.

On the 4th, headed with the London European Club to the Puppet Theatre Barge, for a performance of The Red Balloon!

On the 5th, back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, and Laurence Summers - got the last spot on his Passage through Pimlico walk! which, as he was telling me on Tuesday, is through a not very well-known part of town! Well, this one should at least be warmer, being in daytime..

On the 6th - Crick Crack is back! Now, this is an interesting one - Japanese ghost stories, the event is called The Game of Candles, with each story represented by a lit candle, which is blown out when the story is completed. Taking place at the British MuseumTim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson performing. Sold out now - they're only doing half capacity.

And on the 7th - another interesting talk by TGT! This one is What Conditions Create Witch Hunts?

No comments:

Post a Comment