Monday 31 January 2022

Concert: Taboo

The Stansted Express wasn't running again last night, damnit. So I was back on the National Express again - must have just missed one, because almost no-one was queueing when I arrived! The bus came in due course, I gave the driver my bag and filed on with the others. Have to say though, this wasn't as successful a journey as last time - the WiFi quit as soon as we pulled off, I couldn't understand a word the driver said through the tannoy (so it's a good job mine was the last stop!), and at some point the aircon seemed to switch off. What with the lack of fresh air and the constant braking and jolting as we got into the city, I was feeling quite ill by the time we got off - and was glad when we did! despite the lashing rain, that soaked my coat, my jeans, and my case by the time I finally got inside. Bah humbug.

Today's interview went OK, I thought - except that I discovered that the company describes itself as completely remote. I must have made a face, because he hastily confirmed that there is an office I could go to if I wanted. Honestly, who would've thought it was so hard to get a non-remote job?! Anyway, tonight, I booked for another Zoom talk - this was run by a new group to me, The Garden Talks (TGT), and the talk for the evening was Are We Living in the Age of Persecution? Which promised, hopefully, to be more interesting than the last online talk I attended - on canals! But just at the end of last week, Up in the Cheap Seats announced an outing to see Taboo, a charity 25th anniversary concert, celebrating the original musical by Boy George. Taking place at the Palladium, and better than half-price tickets from Show Film First! So I thought that sounded rather better, and booked it. Similarly priced tickets available with London Box Office for today. 

I had to catch two buses - both of which came early and deposited me ahead of time! Heading in, it was weird to be asked for my vaccination cert, which is no longer the case in Ireland - so there I was, fiddling around first for that, then for my ticket. Which SFF had the good sense to email me earlier in the day, complete with a nice, fat barcode to be read. We had all decided to go for the Royal Circle, so I headed up to the bar..



(BTW, I find the photos even better on my new phone, with less glare!) We all found each other in due course, and chatted away happily until we went in. Where we were very happy with our seats (although I had my usual trouble with the stairs):


It started a bit late, and there was some speechifying beforehand.. it was in aid of the Terence Higgins Trust, and Shelter. But when it did finally start, we were treated to a truly camp, truly 80s experience. The character of Boy George was instantly recognisable, in his classic 80s outfit - less so was the real Boy George, everyone wondering which he was! To be fair, there was an awful lot of makeup, wigs, and general mayhem, which would have made it hard to figure out much. Julian Clary was easier to spot! Oh, and I was rather glad to be upstairs, with the audience interaction that was going on..

The house, it was said, was sold out - and at the interval, it certainly seemed so:


The show resonated more with me when they sang Culture Club numbers I knew - but with none of us having seen the original musical, or knowing the story, this abbreviated version ended up being a bit confusing, as the story skipped several important points, making straight for the musical numbers. Ah well, we kind of got it. And we finally figured out which was Boy George! (Still not sure whether he appeared in the first act, though.)

A few of us were sat together, and came out together - unfortunately, there were so many exits that we were never all going to find each other after! But hey, it was fun - and we had Karma Chameleon in our heads, headed back. And I had to change buses again - although it'd have been helpful if Google Maps hadn't wanted me to change at a bus stop that is closed for roadworks!

Tomorrow, I've plumped for something I've seen advertised a lot, but never attended - again on Zoom, this time it's a Free Tuesday Sing-a-long for Health and Pleasure, courtesy of Global Music Fusion & Arts.  As advertised by Free Stuff and Free Events - which might just be the first thing I've done with them. Happens weekly, apparently, lasts an hour - the words are on-screen. Could be good.

On Wednesday, my first Meetup of the year with Civilised London! And as usual, it's dinner - yum! We're off again to Little Georgia, meeting beforehand at The Crown.

On Thursday, heading with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - and I was lucky to see it, what with Meetup not even suggesting the event when I was looking for something that day! If it hadn't been for some mention over the last couple of events with them, of some event happening this week.. Anyway, we're off to see the LSO at the Barbican - wildcard tickets sadly sold out by the time I booked.

On Friday, headed with the London European Club to the Puppet Theatre Barge, for a performance of The Red Balloon!

On Saturday, back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, and Laurence Summers - got the last spot on his Passage through Pimlico walk! which, as he was telling me on Tuesday, is through a not very well-known part of town! Well, this one should at least be warmer, being in daytime.. and we're getting lunch after.

On Sunday - Crick Crack is back! Now, this is an interesting one - Japanese ghost stories, the event is called The Game of Candles, with each story represented by a lit candle, which is blown out when the story is completed. Taking place at the British MuseumTim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson performing. Sold out now - they're only doing half capacity.

And next Monday - another interesting talk by TGT! This one is What Conditions Create Witch Hunts? Have to say, Meetup seems to have awoken from the doldrums..!

No comments:

Post a Comment