Sunday 9 January 2022

Walk - Bawdy Borough: Poverty, Prostitutes and Playhouses

Today, I was with Discover London - History Walks and Events for a walk entitled Bawdy Borough: Poverty, Prostitutes and Playhouses. Cash on the day, annoyingly - I just about had it, and even discovered an extra pound coin, so I didn't have to dig for change! And yes, I didn't get enough sleep again. Anyway, it's close enough that I walked there - if quite cold.


It was handy that the guide posted the Google Maps link - I could click on that and get directions to there, so was reasonably confident I'd got the right place. And just as I was in situ, I spotted her over the other side of the archway, a crowd beginning to gather. In the end, a couple of people I knew from other Meetup groups were there, which was nice! And our first excitement came in the form of a religious procession, across the road: Epiphany? Anyway, they seemed to be heading up towards Southwark Cathedral:


Sure enough, we headed off to the sound of bells - I guess the procession made it safely. For our part, we had a nice stroll through Borough Market:


Now, despite the title, this is one of the less lurid tours I've been on in Southwark - which is no bad thing! I can't remember whether I ever heard the tale of the Austrian general, on holiday in Southwark, mind you, who was so unpopular that he was set upon by the locals, causing a diplomatic incident!


Meandering around the streets behind Shakespeare's Globe, it was fascinating to see how close the original site was to the Rose - and when she explained how a large bear-baiting pit came almost down to the Rose as well, it was an eye-opener! Imagine picking your way through those streets - trying not to have your pocket picked! She also described how the theatres would display coloured flags, indicating the type of play showing that evening - red for historical, black for tragedy, white for comedy. I never have heard the area described quite like that before. But it was nice to come out to the river, and the front of Shakespeare's Globe:



Ooh, and did you know, that house with the plaque that says that Sir Christopher Wren lived there? No he didn't - the plaque was just put there to save the house from being demolished!


We finished back at Southwark Cathedral, where we saw an example of a "withered effigy", to depict the effects of death:


I'd never before noticed the stained glass over Shakespeare's tomb, depicting his plays!



And there's a new statue of him, out the back.


Really, a most interesting and grown-up tour! Very impressed - I highly recommend it. Afterwards - well, I hadn't eaten, and we'd passed so many eateries - so I headed back to the Old Thameside Inn, where I haven't been in years, for a late brunch. I'd never actually eaten there - happily, the lunchtime rush was over, and my, but isn't the app, where you can order and pay at the table, handy?! Especially when you're on your own, and trying to hold a table. I had the pale ale pie - sadly not up to the standard of the pie at the Duke of Sussex, with rather doughy pastry and a taste I wasn't mad about. But the rest was lovely, especially the garlic bread I ordered as a side. Oh, and they have Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc - one of my favourite wines! So, after my main, I had another glass of that - and a bowl of vanilla pod ice cream, so as not to fill myself up. The wine came quickly - I could have expired waiting for the dessert, but never mind, it was delicious! Truly, it's been a terrific weekend.

Tomorrow, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group, for a Gabrieli Consort & Players concert at Wigmore Hall. Programmes available to ticket-holders to download. And wouldn't you know it, the organiser gave his seat number - so, when I saw the seat beside him was free, I booked it! Well, I know him now.. let's see whether we can find the other person who's signed up!

No comments:

Post a Comment