Thursday 22 June 2023

Musical: We Will Rock You

Last night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for We Will Rock You! at the Coliseum. Excellent - this didn't have tickets for the night I looked for before. Written by Queen with Ben Elton, promised to be a great night out.

What a day, though! Got the keys to my new flat, quit my job.. fingers crossed for the one I've applied for, which sounds ideal, and is walking distance from my new place. Anyway, I was "tired and emotional" when the time came for me to head out. Food would help - I thought I'd eat at The Chandos, just down from the theatre - and lo, they had plenty of space! Interestingly, they seem to have removed the "table numbers" from the various nooks and crannies around the room that you can sit in - I guess they no longer intend for people to eat there, but at busy times, it's all that's available.. Anyway, I ate well, and sure enough, felt much better.

Enough for the mammoth climb to the Balcony of the Coliseum, where we were all seated - we met in the Balcony bar (there is a lift, but it's teeeny). Speaking of nooks and crannies, this is quite a cosy bar, with lots of those. And it was great to chat to people, after my day - alcohol-wise, I was determined to make a night of it, but not on the sauvignon blanc, although it's not (quite) the most expensive I've seen - rather, I went for the (slightly cheaper) pinot grigio. The cocktails are all named for Queen songs, and there's a picture of Freddy Mercury, arm raised, everywhere you look - on the bar menus, on all the stuff on the merchandising stall..

In the auditorium, I was supposed to be in the very back row, at the edge. But I got a slight upgrade when the guy in the seat in front wanted to sit in my seat, beside his wife!


FYI You can not only bring in drinks here - I think they're automatically served in plastic, for that purpose - but also hot food; a guy in my row came in with a hot dog! Unusually lax.. ditto the lack of policing of the woman beside me, who arrived late, and proceeded to film much of the first half on her phone.

Well, the songs are set around a dystopian future, where all music is synthetic, and fed to the populace by a global corporation. The actual making of music is outlawed - but we follow the adventures of a dreamer, who has unbidden snatches of Bohemian Rhapsody, of all things, coming into his head. And of course, there's a group of rebels - "bohemians" - who dream of finding a dreamer, who will head to the "place of champions" and actually use the instrument there..

The songs are beautifully performed. In fact, I was seriously unimpressed with the crowd around me, who singularly failed to get animated during the first half. They improved in the second half - doubtless after a visit to the bar. And while the hit parade continues, we keep getting teaser snippets of Bohemian Rhapsody. When they came to the finale, I was surprised they hadn't played it! But - spoiler - as people are leaving, they do play a terrific version. So, don't be too quick to leave! My only quibble - I was miffed at the gaps between songs, while they developed the story. Really - who comes to these things for the story?! Anyway, I was well positioned to get out early - it took a while for everyone to get out, and meet outside for a chat. And yes, it was a great night! After the day I'd had, I was way too tired to blog, though..

Tonight - heading out to Elstree, of all places, for Giffords Circus. Well, it was the best of what I saw advertised.. it's a helluva journey, and I'm planning to eat out there - they apparently have "food wagons". Well, not working now, so I can leave at whatever time I need to!

Tomorrow, my sometime-companion from UITCS suggested a murder mystery! The Murder Express: Jewel of the Empire.. set on a train, and includes dinner. Oh, lovely.. she got a Groupon deal, apparently..

On Saturday, delighted to be back with Expat Bucket List London! Well, back with the founder of both this and Bucket List London - I haven't actually been with the Expat group yet. Yippee, back to the Globe - for The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, while I'm in the Lower Gallery, as usual, the others are upstairs.. the organiser did offer to switch with me, so I'd have some company, but I wouldn't subject him to such a lower-priced seat! Anyway, I do like to be close. And if I can organise myself to move some stuff in by then.. I might be walking to this!

On Sunday, back with Discover London - History Walks and Events to Discover the Secrets of the 19th Century London Docks. Always love this part of town - again, this is walking distance from my new place.

On Monday, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I do wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

On Tuesday, back with UITCS again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

On Wednesday, thinking film - and delighted to see that Asteroid City has risen in ratings, and is now joint top of my list! Ah well, that's a no-brainer - a Wes Anderson comedy, with an all-star cast, including Jason Schwartzman, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Hanks, Jeffrey WrightBryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Maya HawkeRupert Friend, Steve Park, Liev Schreiber, Matt Dillon, Steve Carell, Tilda Swinton, Jeff Goldblum (playing an alien, appropriately I guess..), Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Margot Robbie.. and probably some other people I recognise. Anyway, I love Wes Anderson's stuff - and it's on in my local cinema (for flat #1). My new flat isn't so close to a cinema, so I'll stay in the old one for this, while I still have access to it. And there are showings all day, so, given that I probably shan't have any other demands on my time that day, until I get another job, I can go to whatever suits!

Next Thursday, thinking of heading back to Watkin's Bookshop, for the first time in an age - they have an author talk called Holy Waters - Searching for the Sacred in a Glass. There's a new book about this, which considers the use of alcohol in religion - sounds interesting! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 3rd, I'm back with UITCS for A Playlist for the Revolution, at the Bush Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment