Thursday 29 June 2023

Musical: Ain't Too Proud

Tonight, thought of heading back to Watkin's Bookshop, for the first time in an age - they had an author talk called Holy Waters - Searching for the Sacred in a Glass. There's a new book about this, which considers the use of alcohol in religion - sounded interesting!

But then I saw someone on the list of attendees that I really didn't want to meet, in what is a very small venue.. so I implemented Plan B. The London International Meetup was heading to Ain't Too Proud, the story of The Temptations, tonight - they had their own, limited, tickets, and were sold out, but I figured I could just head on my own. Several outlets have tickets for just under £30 - I picked the first of them I came across, which was London Theatre Direct.

Searching for eateries nearby, I realised it's quite near Chinatown - so I decided to head to New Loon Fung, for a change. Had to take two buses - and in each case, just missed the one I wanted, only to have another come along in a couple of minutes. Got fed to bursting at the restaurant - except it could be quite hard to catch the waiter's eye, in what was quite an empty restaurant. Anyway, it was then a short walk to the Prince Edward Theatre - which I realised I'd never been to before! Now, that is rare.. 

Well, it turned out to be a gorgeous, art deco building: and my seat, one of the cheapest in the theatre, was in the rear stalls - and despite its description as having a restricted view, had one of the least restricted views I've ever seen! Strangely though, as I went in, the usher didn't ask me my seat number, but actually my row - I think there's a separate entrance for the rows towards the front:


I'd love to try the boxes on the next level - they protrude past the rest of the seats up there, and look like they have a terrific view.

Well! Now, I'm no expert on The Temptations - but, like everyone else, I know some of their stuff: not all. But enough to sing along to some, as we were encouraged to do. And I mean, this puts me in mind of Motown: The Musical, which remains one of the best musicals I've ever seen! This is beautifully sung, beautifully choreographed: I sometimes wonder whom I'm applauding at the end, the performers or the playwright - not here, the standard of performance is so high.

Not just a jukebox musical either - this doesn't hold back in telling us all about the personal and professional problems that dogged the band. And it tells a really moving story, from the early days in Detroit, through the fame, the drink and drugs, the many changes in lineup - right through to when people start passing away. So, engaging as well as entertaining - well deserving of that standing ovation! and a pretty packed house. Delighted to have seen this at last. Currently booking until the 7th of January - run and see it!

On the way home, didn't have quite as much luck in the timing of buses - but on the other hand, it wasn't as cold as predicted.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. Was waiting to hear what rating the new Indiana Jones film would have - Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny sees Harrison Ford, back again as the coolest archaeologist in the Western world. And yes, your eyes don't deceive you - that is Phoebe Waller-Bridge, tagging along as the female interest (his god-daughter). So, expect some good lines. And Antonio Banderas shows up as - someone scruffy-lookin'. And I'd be happy to see it - if only for the CGI that makes Harrison Ford look young and gorgeous again.. (there's some time travel, I believe).

However, now that its rating is out, the highest rated is Jesus Revolution, based on a real-life spiritual movement across America in the 70s. Stars Kelsey Grammer as the straight-laced pastor whose daughter convinces him to give these long-haired hippies a go.. Showing, as is Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, in Limerick Omniplex. (Actually, it was also showing yesterday evening in London, but I really wanted to see Asteroid City, so although it wasn't as highly rated, I executed an executive override..)

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for A Playlist for the Revolution, at the Bush Theatre.

On Tuesday, thinking film again - and it's looking like Hello, Bookstore, a documentary in the Curzon Bloomsbury again.

Then two more days with UITCS - well, they book so much stuff! On Wednesday, it's Robin Hood: The Legend - Rewritten, at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment