Thursday 8 December 2022

Play: Baghdaddy & Talk: Colin Stanley on Colin Wilson's Introducing the Occult

Yesterday, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Baghdaddy at the Royal Court. About a little girl, realising she's half Iraqi, just as the Gulf War is raging. I see CT now has tickets for this.. unusually for this venue!

I made sure to leave on time - I wanted to eat beforehand, and wasn't risking it, after Monday! So off I went - I was lucky with the bus, the driver was doing something with a ledger, so hadn't pulled away by the time I got to him. Still, it was just as well the only other person going to the play messaged me to say she'd be a bit late, because so was I! Handily, although the bus was terminating early, it was going as far as I was..



I was eating at Cote Sloane Square, of course. And it. Was. Manic. But, true to their nature, one of the people in charge asked me to give her a minute, and dashed off to find me space - then despatched me with another person, who deposited me at a small table in the back, which I could have for an hour. Which was perfect, as I had to be elsewhere by then!

It did take a while for them to take my order, and again to arrive with my soup. I ask you, what is the delay with soup?! Surely they're not making it fresh - unless, perhaps, nobody usually orders this one and they didn't have any in stock? I was also left waiting for the wine, despite being right beside the bar - and as the minutes ticked by, it was a relief when each individual item came. To be fair, they couldn't have been busier - and it was entertaining to watch them dashing to and fro. Funniest moment of the evening came when a waitress, a tray in each hand, stopped dead in the middle of the floor, pulled a face, and sighed.. she had no idea where the order was headed. A beat later, a manager scooted by, and without breaking stride, lifted one of the trays from her hand and continued, at speed, to the back of the room - the hapless waitress in tow..

I started with French onion soup: as my companion later remarked, just the thing for cold weather! I'd have to agree - it was a little salty, mind, and quite stringy. Steak frites for main, as usual - just the thing if you're in a hurry, and a lot lighter than your average steak. The waiter actually took a moment to check that I was ok with it being medium rare - well yes, isn't it always? Perhaps someone had objected. Delish.. and I was nearly finished when my companion messaged to say she'd just arrived. So I finished, put my plate aside, and produced my card, which I casually displayed prominently. A manager passed - might have been the tray woman - scooped up the remains, took them to the bar, returned straightaway with a card machine. Now, that's what I call efficiency..

And so I schlepped over to the theatre bar, where I joined my companion.


When we went in, I was to discover that the Slips operate by a slightly different rule (did I know this before? Possibly..) Although the RHS (as you enter) is numbered up to 11, the Slips on that side only go up to 8 - at #9, I was on the other side!


Now, the place was half empty, so my companion suggested I sit near her, closer to the centre - shortly afterwards, people came in at both sides of her, but the row in front of her was completely empty! So I sat there:


Now, this is captioned - which we agreed, at the interval, is a good thing. For one thing, they do break into Arabic, and it's handy to know that's what's happened. Because it frequently isn't easy to hear what they're saying - one actor, for instance, has a pronounced lisp that makes it very difficult sometimes! Having said that, her diction is generally better than the others'..

Oh dearie me, I hated it. Now, I left at the interval, and sure, it might have improved - my companion did stay, but as I said, it wasn't improving fast enough for me.. The beginning, certainly, is more a therapy session for a nine-year-old than an actual play. She's obviously working through her issues, as the whole thing is presented as a garish children's tv show, characters in luridly coloured suits yelling at everyone. Having said that, it is possible to piece together a story - it's just that I hated seeing everything in this cartoonish perspective, and I couldn't have taken any more of it. Ah well, it was good to get home early, last night was - again - like being in a fridge! This runs till the 17th.


These days, I generally have to be up early for meetings - and this post ran over time, what with having to do the film list! So I didn't have time, last night or during today, to post..

Tonight, I signed up for another Watkin's Bookshop talk! This was Colin Stanley on Colin Wilson's Introducing the Occult. Well, the last talk I was at here was interesting, so.. Now, I also intended to eat before this. But it was on very early, and I was running late, so I didn't - I could have eaten en route, but I'd have been rushing. No, instead, I got there in time to give a couple of Irish ladies directions on which buses to take to where they were going! I tell you, every tourist should be given a crash course in Google Maps..


Also had time to browse Watkins, which is a very interesting, occult bookshop! And when it was time, I schlepped downstairs for the talk. Now, this didn't fill up as fast as the last - I had no trouble getting a seat. The speaker was in situ long before - his wife was sat in front of me, and some of his friends came, and they mused that perhaps the cold was stopping people from coming out. He also, as he remarked, took comfort from the fact that Margaret Atwood apparently recently did a book launch - which nobody attended! Well never mind - people were just late, and it did fill up eventually. Although many of the folks creeping down the stairs, trying unsuccessfully to be quiet, were actually in search of books. One lady, in fact, retreated back upstairs with an armful of them! and, of course, dropped one..

So, it turns out that Colin Wilson - of whom I'd never heard - was a prolific writer, who, despite professing not to be interested in the occult, amassed a library of some 500 works on it. And this book, Introducing the Occult, that the speaker has put together is a collection of some of the highlights of Colin Wilson's writing. Have to say, I wasn't inspired to get a copy. Actually, I found the speaker's voice most soporific - and having been up so early, I was tired.. and my eyes kept closing.. I did make an attempt to keep them open, when I noticed the speaker had started staring in my direction!


And so home.. which took me near the Brunswick Centre. So I stopped in to GBK. Which was, again, packed - but they found me a table, right in the far corner. Asked me to order at the till - and just as I went up to do so, there was a huge group of people, apparently looking for a table, without a booking. Such optimists. They had to leave, I'm afraid. Anyway, as for me, I was anticipating they wouldn't have onion rings, as usual, and sure enough.. although she did ask whether I'd like them to chuck one into the burger, as they didn't have enough to give them to me as a side..! Eh, no thanks. Instead, I had French fries.. and had to have the house white, as they were out of sauvignon blanc. And it was as moreish as ever - the fries were delicious, and were a good idea; I find the burger isn't enough on its own. I ended up eating the second half with a knife and fork, for once - they'd doused it in so much sauce!

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Lightopia, at Crystal Palace Park. As suggested by Over 40 Living the Life, who are not actually hosting a trip themselves, but just wanted to advertise it. 15% discount if you subscribe to Lightopia's mailing list, 20% discount for purchases of 10 or more tickets. And durnit if Groupon hasn't just advertised cheap tickets.. And after tonight's temperatures, I'm going to have to increase the amount of padding I wear, yet again!

On Saturday - well hallelujah, Bucket List London has finally scheduled something I want to go to, at a time I can make! He's off to see the Wallace Collection that morning - and so am I.

In the afternoon - London Social & Cultural Meetups (LSCM) has a bevy of Christmassy stuff! They're off for afternoon tea first - we're headed to the Garden at the Lane (at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane). And she's discovered that she's got a clash for lunch, so, mercifully, I get a bit of a break in between events to have my own lunch!

So, then we're off to King's College Maughan Library, for an exhibition of old manuscripts. Followed by a trip to the Knights Templar pub, time permitting.

And finally, we're hitting the Christmas markets! All part of the Southbank Winter Festival. First is the Southbank Christmas Market, where I hear rumours of white mulled wine.. then I'm not sure whether I'll have time, but we're off to the Christmas by the River Market.

I might have to duck out early because that evening - I've bravely scheduled another meeting of Those who Do Not Come. It's my last weekend in London before Christmas, you see. Well, so far Ivan and my first boss in London are actually coming! while the one person who came the last two times probably not, for once. We shall see - I've booked The Lucas Arms - O' Neill's isn't taking bookings for that day. Deposit payable, refundable with cancellation up to 72 hours beforehand.

On Sunday, I was vaguely thinking of heading to see Carnaby Street's Christmas lights.. but now LSCM is off to the Museum of the Home, followed by carols by candlelight at Westminster Chapel.

And for that evening, CT advertised tickets for Love Factually - a kind of rewriting of one of the relationships in that classic Christmas romcom, Love Actually. Sadly, all their tickets were gone - but I got a full-price ticket from the venue. It sounds good. Showing at 2Northdown.

On Monday, I'm thinking film (hence the film list needed redoing). Top of the list - that I can make, and looks like I might actually enjoy it - is The Sparring Partner, a Hong Kong film based on the true story of a young man who conspired with his friend to murder, and dismember, his parents. Closest showing is in the Odeon Luxe Haymarket - unfortunately, I can neither confirm the times, book a ticket, nor see how it's booking, because the website wouldn't let me in! Even when I got access on my phone, it didn't work right - I always have trouble with Odeon.

On Tuesday - hellfire, if the best thing on Meetup isn't Free Stuff and Free Events, with another online singalong. Uhh.. we shall see.

On Wednesday, again, thinking of film - at least the same list does for both days! So, at the moment (with the caveat that the list isn't completely up to date), it's looking like Ingmar Bergman's film, Fanny and Alexander, which is showing at the BFI. Which has a tendency to sell out - I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Next Thursday, back with the Crick Crack Club, yay! for The Winner Takes It All at Rich Mix. This, the club's last performance of the year, is performed by a congregation of souls known as Pandvani 108, comprising Ben Haggarty, Emily Hennessy, and Sheema Mukherjee, among others.

And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - just worked out that way - coinciding perfectly with a train strike! So I've booked a ticket on the bus - will just have to take that evening's meeting on my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment