Wednesday 21 December 2022

Concert: The Tallis Scholars

Tonight, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - we went to St. John's, Smith Square to hear the Tallis Scholars. Which promised to be lovely! I had to get a ticket for the Gallery - the ground floor was already sold out! I checked again yesterday evening, and there was one ticket left for the Stalls - at £40 - the Gallery now being sold out.

Grabbed a bite in Pret after work - handy for shops! And then a succession of buses. Interestingly, where Google Maps told me I had to change, the bus stop was closed for roadworks - happily, the one before did me just as well.(Why that stop isn't flagged online as closed beats me - I've complained to TFL). 


I arrived first, waited in the ticket office, as the organiser had specified, and in due course, he happened along. We never did meet the third person who'd signed up - well, not at that stage anyway - perhaps he did, later. Now, someone nearby remarked that it was sold out - not a surprise. Certainly, the cafe was full, and we didn't get a seat - never mind, we had a good ole chat anyway, catching up on the news and our Christmas plans. And when it was time, we headed up - me, all the way up. And boy, does a person get tired of the spiral staircases! Not to mention I hadn't been in the Gallery before, and had to ask three people for directions - out a particular side door, turn to the side for the Gallery stairs. Well, I had no trouble getting a seat (upstairs was unreserved).



I couldn't see all the singers without getting up and peering over the edge - but that wasn't the important thing. The important thing was the heavenly music they produced, the polyphony washing over me and covering me - rather like a sound bath, I mused. I couldn't pick a favourite piece - I was just delighted to be there. Should be required listening for everyone, at least once in their life. From an announcement made at the end, I understand next year is their 50th anniversary.. hmm..

I didn't meet the organiser again - we hadn't made arrangements to do so. But it was good to see him. On the way home, more buses - and another unexpectedly closed bus stop! What is it with these.. I've also complained about this one. Well, at least I was home in time to shop - believe me, it ain't easy, these days!

Last London event of the year, tomorrow, goes to (drum roll).. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners!! Oh, it'll be so good to see them again - I'm taking the day off specially. It's for Dickens in the City - a Festive Walk. Ah well now, I wouldn't miss the last of the year.. Starts nice and close to me too, at the Shakespeare's Head pub. It was full, with a waitlist, but there have been some cancellations since, so might be some more spaces now. Nice way to finish the year - I can't go on his walks so much now, while I'm working and he's mostly scheduling them during working hours..

On Friday, it's back to Ireland for Christmas. And would you believe, nothing decent for me in the cinemas - until I Wanna Dance with Somebody, the Whitney Houston biopic, which opens on Monday! Well, see you on the other side.. Have a very merry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment