Monday 19 December 2022

Concert: Charpentier's Christmas Music

I was back in Ireland for the weekend - just worked out that way - coinciding perfectly with a train strike! So I booked a ticket on the bus - mercifully, he cancelled (yet again) our evening work meeting. In fact, it's now gone down to a single, daily meeting - which wouldn't have suited that day, so good timing.

I made the bus in good time -in fact, it was five minutes late. Now, it was to leave at 4.25, for a 7.25pm flight; I didn't want to leave it any later. So, it arrived at 4.30 and we piled on. And.. there we stayed, on the bus, as it crawled up the motorway for the next 2h 20 minutes (twice as long as normal).. in what the driver described as "shit" traffic (gee, I wonder why!). She postulated she'd get us there next week sometime, but she'd do her best - as it happened, we arrived at the airport five minutes before my gate was due to close. Approaching the airport, when it looked as though there was half a chance we'd make it, I'd booked Fast Track, so now legged it there ASAP - made it two minutes after the gate officially closed, and was let through. Which told me - the flight was delayed. Hallelujah - goes to show, if you're with Ryanair, and you're close - run for it. They generally are delayed, in which case they delay closing the gate. I finally made it to the boarding gate queue at 7.20pm - they hadn't started boarding yet. The relief..

.. And would you believe it, there wasn't a single film showing in any of my local cinemas in Ireland at the weekend that I haven't seen and wanted to see.. Bah humbug! Just had to go Christmas shopping. ;-)

Last night was another delayed flight back - I had my return bus ticket, which was just as well, because we'd have been too late for the train. Was very quickly out of the airport - so I made a bus within about half an hour of landing, and got home about 2.30am. Now, I was thinking of scrapping this late-night flight - but if work is scrapping early morning meetings, well..!

This evening, back with London Baroque Music Lovers for the first time in months! This time, we were back to see Les Arts Florissants, who were performing Charpentier's Christmas music at the Barbican. Now, my initial thought was to eat at Cote Barbican - but I checked, and they only had availability from 7pm, which was no good. Second choice was The Lucas Arms, which was on my way to the fastest bus - nope, they only had availability from 6.15pm, which was also no good. Sod it, no point in even checking O' Neill's - I went to Pret. Caught the bus from Stop E outside, afterwards (which Google Maps, for some reason, says is closed) - the departures board there is as much a work of fiction as ever, telling me my bus was 10 minutes away, as I could see it pulling up! In the end, I made it in good time, and chatted to the organiser - whom I hadn't seen in so long - and a couple of newcomers - before we went in.


I actually had a ton of empty seats around me, so could spread myself out as I liked - even more so after the interval, when the lady to my left didn't return! Well, to each their own - in common with the group, I thought the concert was absolutely lovely - as was the moment, just before the start, when someone from the Circle (where I was sitting) yelled out "Happy Birthday!" to the conductor, William Christie: whereupon he turned to acknowledge the gesture, hand on heart. As someone near me remarked, "Aww.."

The first half was gorgeous - particularly the choral parts, in my opinion. The second half started with the Pastorale sur la naissance de Notre Seigneur Jésus Christ, a lighthearted number sung by observers at Christ's birth. This might have been my favourite piece of the evening - but frankly, it's hard to choose. At the end, an encore, complete with tambourines. A concert I'm delighted not to have missed!

Afterwards, we repaired to the Martini Bar, which - unlike the downstairs bar - does stay open after shows. And sells wine, as well as martinis.. and we had a lovely time! Meetup can be lovely, when it throws people together like this.. and wouldn't you know it, we ran right into the orchestra on the way out.

Tomorrow, couldn't see anything on Meetup, again - so I'm with TAC for The Grotto, a Christmas comedy at the Drayton Arms, which was local to me, many years ago! You never know, I might even get to eat there.. I'll have a go. I remember the food being decent, long, long ago.. and they're less central, so it might be possible!

On Wednesday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - we're going to St. John's, Smith Square to hear the Tallis Scholars. Which should be lovely! I had to get a ticket for the Gallery - the ground floor was already sold out!

And - last London event of the year, on Thursday, goes to (drum roll).. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners!! Oh, it'll be so good to see them again - I'm taking the day off specially. It's for Dickens in the City - a Festive Walk. Ah well now, I wouldn't miss the last of the year.. Starts nice and close to me too, at the Shakespeare's Head pub. And it's full, with four on the waitlist. Nice way to finish the year - I can't go on his walks so much now, while I'm working and he's only scheduling them during working hours..

On Friday, it's back to Ireland for Christmas. See you on the other side..! Have a very merry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment