Thursday 22 December 2022

Dickens in the City - A Festive Walk

Last London event of the year, today, went to (drum roll).. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners!! Oh, it was so good to see them again - I took the day off specially. It was for Dickens in the City - a Festive Walk. Ah well now, I wouldn't miss the last of the year.. Started nice and close to me too, at the Shakespeare's Head pub. It was originally full, with a waitlist, but there were some cancellations. Nice way to finish the year - I can't go on his walks so much now, while I'm working and he's mostly scheduling them during working hours..

No time whatsoever to shop these days - breakfast, therefore, was scavenged from Pret, en route. A smoked salmon sandwich, yum. When I arrived at the meeting point, there were a couple outside - most, it seemed, were inside, but I stayed outside to finish my sandwich. Ah man, it was indeed good to see folks again.

Our walk took us to parts associated with Dickens - and with his characters! Anyway, it was good to be back around the City sights:


This, for instance, is a statue of Samuel Johnson, which I never recognised!


And with impeccable timing, we were here for the hourly chiming of the bells!


Also here, where a chiming of bells greeted us:


Round the corner, we came across a curious statue of wild animals, dining together - a couple of stools are left free, for anyone who cares to join them!



After the main event, we repaired to The Bunch of Grapes, where we were fed (yay)! We had a room to ourselves, upstairs, and for my part, a moreish steak and ale pie. Conversation was also interesting - after a seriously bad report from a member of the 50+ Friendly Frolickers, I've just left that group - certainly, my one experience with them didn't fill me with enthusiasm.

And so, on to The Ship:


..where good conversation was had! Man, I hope to have many more events with these people. For now, it was a great send-off from London for the year!

Tomorrow (early), it's back to Ireland for Christmas. And would you believe, nothing decent for me in the cinemas - until I Wanna Dance with Somebody, the Whitney Houston biopic, which opens on Monday! Well, see you on the other side.. Have a very merry one.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely read, was in London weekend before Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hope you enjoyed the trip..

    ReplyDelete