Thursday 15 December 2022

Film: Elif Ana

Last night, I'd arranged to attend another carol service - at St. Stephen's Walbrook - with an ex-flatmate. As advertised by London Cultureseekers. Started at 6pm. But wouldn't you know it - my blasted, pointless, sales induction meeting ran on till practically then. And while I might not be paying attention, it's another thing entirely to sign off! So, so much for that. Instead, I was at the cinema again - top of the list was a Turkish film, Elif Ana. Based on a book, it tells the story of a little girl who grows up to be a healer. Full of music, by the looks of the trailer - and music that I like. Actually higher rated than Fanny och Alexander, which I'd seen the night before - but I didn't know it was on, not having redone the list yet, when I booked that! Well, last night's film's closest showing is in Cineworld Wood Green - at 8.20, so I was ok. Thought I might get food up there somewhere - there's no earthly point in going to O' Neill's without a booking, these days. And they're booked up days in advance.

I passed The Lucas Arms on the way, but it was full too, so I continued on. Just missed a bus I could have taken - it was a very cold wait for the next! And all the way up, I saw icy pavements - the snow we had on Sunday never melted, you know, and bits are treacherous. I prayed that when I had to get off, it'd be on a clear patch - and mercifully, it was! Apart from when I had to change buses on the way up.. I'd just figured out that my stop for the next bus was right beside where I'd got off - and lo, the next bus appeared! Had to park behind another - and right in front of a big patch of ice. Happily, I found a wee clear patch, so had no accidents, and made it to the cinema safely.

Yeah - there just isn't much to eat around there, apart from a Five Guys, which I didn't fancy. So I bought a bag of Maltesers in the cinema. And when I found out the screen wasn't cleaned yet, I opened them.. and having heard nothing more by the time I finished them, I bought another! both from a very smiley lady at the till. I'd booked a good seat, in front of the aisle that runs across, so there was no-one in front of me, and I had a rail to put my feet on. Recliners, how are you! This was just as good. Now, come start time, nothing had started showing - an usher came in to tell us that there wouldn't be any ads (!) but we'd be told when to turn off our phones. And at 8.45, she finally did tell us to turn them off - and bless, she did try and wait for us to do it. Some did.. you'll never get everyone to cooperate, though.

And so to the film, at last. Based on a true story, it seems! It's an odd beast - the title character is an old woman, having an eye operation - she says something about how you don't need eyes to see the truth, and then it flashes back to her childhood (she was born in 1908), and her mother's death. Her mother, dying, removes her amulet and places it around her daughter's neck - and lo, also passes on her gift of foresight. Elif Ana also grows up to be a healer - has an annoying habit (to her family) of running off into the mountains on her own, where they're all afraid she'll be eaten by a wolf. As she grows up, though, her reputation as a healer and clairvoyant grows, and people start to seek her out.

It's lovely, actually. Elif Ana is played rather dreamily, especially in young adulthood - smiles at people rather than talking to them, spends more time talking to the animals, all of which obey her. Her marriage is arranged to a childhood sweetheart, who idolises her - and through her life story, we see the fractious history of her tribe (I think she's Kurdish), who are always afraid of raids. Ottoman soldiers also pass through, and there are sporadic episodes of fighting - later in the film, we meet her son, a musician who has joined the army, but refuses to shoot a gun! Also some troubling scenes of persecution of non-Muslims.

It's set in a picturesque mountain region - and yes, it's full of music. Some people don't like this particular kind of music - me, I love it. For her wedding, for funerals - throughout so much of the film, music for all occasions. There's a curious local guru-type, who has a habit of sitting on the train tracks and playing his flute.. Well, I just thought it was delightful to watch. And apart from a gang of youngsters, who left early, the audience seemed to agree - they seemed mostly Turkish, from what I could hear of what they were speaking. I joined them in a round of applause. Recommended, if you get the chance to see it.

Another cold wait for the bus back - and again, I had to catch two. On the first, I found myself sat beside an elderly Irish lady - one of those who never. stops. talking. Her brand of talking was to ask questions - oh yes, this is the sort of person who'd have your whole life story by the time you parted. Kind of a relief when it came time for me to change buses, before I gave away everything! On the second bus, light relief was provided by the two young girls who got on, the first flouncing past the driver without paying, calling back to him "My card is in the post!". As they sat at the back, she giggled to her friend - "He didn't know what to say to that!" Ah, the trials of a bus driver..

Tonight, back with the Crick Crack Club, yay! for The Winner Takes It All at Rich Mix. This, the club's last performance of the year, is performed by a congregation of souls known as Pandvani 108, comprising Ben HaggartyEmily Hennessy, and Sheema Mukherjee, among others. I'm planning to drop out of today's sales call early, shh.. so I might actually get fed beforehand..

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - just worked out that way - coinciding perfectly with a train strike! So I've booked a ticket on the bus - will just have to take tomorrow evening's meeting on my phone! If it even happens.. since I started this job, there hasn't been an evening meeting! Fingers crossed.. And would you believe it, there isn't a single film showing in any of my local cinemas in Ireland at the weekend that I haven't seen and want to see.. Bah humbug! Just have to go Christmas shopping. ;-)

On Monday, back with London Baroque Music Lovers for the first time in months! This time, we're back to see Les Arts Florissants, who are performing Charpentier's Christmas music at the Barbican.

On Tuesday, couldn't see anything on Meetup, again - so I'm with TAC for The Grotto, a Christmas comedy at the Drayton Arms, which was local to me, many years ago!

On Wednesday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - we're going to St. John's, Smith Square to hear the Tallis Scholars. Which should be lovely!

And - last London event of the year, next Thursday, goes to (drum roll).. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners!! Oh, it'll be so good to see them again - I'm taking the day off specially. It's for Dickens in the City - a Festive Walk. Ah well now, I wouldn't miss the last of the year.. Starts nice and close to me too, at the Shakespeare's Head pub. And it's full, with four on the waitlist. Nice way to finish the year - I can't go on his walks so much now, while I'm working and he's only scheduling them during working hours..

On the 23rd, it's back to Ireland for Christmas. See you on the other side..! Have a very merry one.

No comments:

Post a Comment