Friday 23 June 2023

Murder Mystery: The Murder Express - Jewel of the Empire

Tonight, my sometime-companion from Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) suggested a murder mystery! The Murder Express: Jewel of the Empire.. set on a train, and includes dinner (phew). Oh, lovely.. she got a Groupon deal, apparently..

Well, I headed out there by bus, she by train - I got less lost than she did, arrived first, and took refuge in the shade, on what was a very hot day.


She arrived just as we were being let in. Tables seat six, although not all were full - space was left for performers to sit. First though, we were left waiting in the bar - where there was no seating, unless you needed it. Drinks can only be ordered online - they have two WiFi systems, one of which I could connect to, ordering us some wine - took about five minutes to get it all sorted. Remember your table number when you check in, BTW..


Screens at each table depict "passing scenery" - although the graphics aren't great, this is still quite atmospheric. And the actors are quite entertaining. Dinner progresses in the meanwhile - we started with an amuse-bouche, which was ok, then a leek starter that I didn't like much. Beef, for main course, was lovely - there is a vegan alternative. Dessert is a delish chocolate thing. Portions are tiny though.. do eat beforehand if you're hungry.

As to the murder mystery - they recommend you buy the paper at the bar outside beforehand - and it's a good idea, it does help with the atmosphere, and you do get a clue from it. In my case, the barman's WiFi was down, so he couldn't charge me - and forgot to do it later, so I got it for free! Apart from that, though, you can forget the "immersive" murder mystery - the actors might talk to you, and they're very entertaining, but you haven't really a hope of solving it, you're not given enough clues. I remember doing a murder mystery over lockdown where you really could have a stab at solving it - not this one. But, as I say, it's atmospheric, it's entertaining - a fun night out.

Being at the earlier showing though, we were rushed out. And afterwards, we went to Casa Blue for one more drink. Passing, on the way, some of the graffiti that the area is known for:




Tomorrow, delighted to be back with Expat Bucket List London! Well, back with the founder of both this and Bucket List London - I haven't actually been with the Expat group yet. Yippee, back to the Globe - for The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, while I'm in the Lower Gallery, as usual, the others are upstairs.. the organiser did offer to switch with me, so I'd have some company, but I wouldn't subject him to such a lower-priced seat! Anyway, I do like to be close. I'd have moved to my new flat by now - indeed, tonight's event was closer to my new place than to my old one - but there's so much to move, even for a brief stay, that it's impractical! I have to make at least two trips - I'll have a go tomorrow evening.

On Sunday, back with Discover London - History Walks and Events to Discover the Secrets of the 19th Century London Docks. Always love this part of town - again, this is walking distance from my new place.

On Monday, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I do wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

On Tuesday, back with UITCS again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

On Wednesday, thinking film - and delighted to see that Asteroid City has risen in ratings, and is now top of my list! Ah well, that's a no-brainer - a Wes Anderson comedy, with an all-star cast, including Jason SchwartzmanScarlett JohanssonTom HanksJeffrey WrightBryan CranstonEdward NortonMaya HawkeRupert FriendSteve ParkLiev SchreiberMatt DillonSteve CarellTilda SwintonJeff Goldblum (playing an alien, appropriately I guess..), Adrien BrodyWillem DafoeMargot Robbie.. and probably some other people I recognise. Anyway, I love Wes Anderson's stuff - and it's on in my local cinema (for flat #1). My new flat isn't so close to a cinema, so I'll stay in the old one for this, while I still have access to it. And there are showings all day, so, given that I probably shan't have any other demands on my time that day, until I get another job, I can go to whatever suits!

On Thursday, thinking of heading back to Watkin's Bookshop, for the first time in an age - they have an author talk called Holy Waters - Searching for the Sacred in a Glass. There's a new book about this, which considers the use of alcohol in religion - sounds interesting! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 3rd, I'm back with UITCS for A Playlist for the Revolution, at the Bush Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment