Wednesday 14 June 2023

Film: The Pearl Button

Tonight, thought film - and what came up was a documentary called The Pearl Button, set in Chile. Scenery looked spectacular.. this is showing in the ICA only. Wow, it's years since I was last there, too! This is part of an In Focus series they're doing on the director, Patricio Guzmán.

I had a meeting due to finish at 5.30, and a flat viewing at 6.30. Which just about gave me time to nip down to The Lucas Arms in between - given that the flat viewing was in my building! Unfortunately, I hit the pub at the busy time - so, not only did I have to sit in the dark corner by the Gents, but it took a while for my dinner to arrive. Which meant I didn't have time to finish it - and me hungry, too. And after all that, the flat was distinctly underwhelming - I've just about given up on finding anything decent in this area. Have another viewing tomorrow, near Tower Bridge - the room looks massive, and has a private patio. Here's hoping..

So, I galloped off to the ICA afterwards. On the bus, had a charming interaction with a cute-as-a-button toddler, whose buggy I was sat beside, and who reached for my phone every time it was in reach! only for me to snatch it back, with a glare. She got a great kick out of the glares! and when they were getting off, we waved bye-bye to each other. When I switched to walking for the last part of my trip, it was to the frustrating sight of the Mall, completely lined with crash barriers! Honestly, I know there's a lot on there these days - but do they really have to leave them up all the time?! If I hadn't jay-walked on the road, I'd never have made it in time!


As I remarked, gaspingly, to the lady who sold me my ticket, it didn't help that every pedestrian crossing I needed to use was about to turn red as I got to it! Never mind, she reassured me, there were still about five minutes of trailers. Seating was unassigned, so I took an unobtrusive seat near the back - very comfortable, and I could easily have dozed off, if there had been a headrest!

The trailer looked stunning, and so the film proved to be. The scenic shots are amazing. The "pearl button" of the title references the story of Jemmy Button, a native Chilean who, for the price of a pearl button, allowed himself to be taken with them for a year. He dressed as a European, spoke English - and then returned to his native people, but apparently was never quite the same for his experience. The director carries on this theme by interviewing an indigenous Chilean woman, asking her to recount, in her native language, a trip she took, paddling through the Chilean archipelago. All of this to highlight Chileans' love of the water.

My though, things do take a turn thereafter - the water, too, takes on a sinister role, as the dictatorship in Chile is described, and the dumping of dissenters' bodies in the ocean. Shocking and compelling, as much so as the beautiful scenery that went before. This is a fascinating watch, the director himself having had to flee the country at the time he describes. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in that country.

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), for All of It, at the Royal Court. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Where, again, there's absolutely nothing for me to watch.

On Monday and Tuesday, thinking film - and the top-rated films on my list are both showing at my local cinema. As usual, I had to check that website specifically. Monday, it's looking like Pretty Red Dress, a comic drama about a red dress, and its effects on a family.

On Tuesday, the choice is looking like another by Patricio Guzmán - My Imaginary Country describes the activism of women in Chile.

Next Wednesday, back with UITCS - for We Will Rock You! at the Coliseum. Excellent - this didn't have tickets for the night I looked for before. Written by Queen with Ben Elton, should be a great night out.

On the 22nd - heading out to Elstree, of all places, for Giffords Circus. Well, it was the best of what I saw advertised..

On the 23rd, my sometime-companion from UITCS suggested a murder mystery! The Murder Express: Jewel of the Empire.. set on a train, and includes dinner. Oh, lovely.. she got a Groupon deal, apparently..

On the 24th, delighted to be back with Expat Bucket List London! Well, back with the founder of both this and Bucket List London - I haven't actually been with the Expat group yet. Yippee, back to the Globe - for The Comedy of Errors.

On the 25th, back with Discover London - History Walks and Events to Discover the Secrets of the 19th Century London Docks. Always love this part of town - wouldn't be at all put out to live nearby!

On the 26th, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I do wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

And on the 27th, back with UITCS again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

No comments:

Post a Comment