Saturday 17 June 2023

Film: The Queen's Corgi

So, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Where, again, there's absolutely nothing for me to watch in the cinema. Had to take myself into town anyway, to shop for my mother - Limerick has a better selection, so I went there. And wouldn't you know it, her oven has broken down..  Now, she has meals she can microwave, but for me, it meant getting something to eat there. I shopped in the Crescent Shopping Centre, where the only decent place to eat (i.e. not fast food, serves alcohol) is Milano's. So, in I went.

I was seated quickly - but service after that was not exactly snappy. I had to wait a while for anyone to take my order - and while my starter wasn't too long in coming, it felt like I waited forever for my main course. Indeed, the people at the table beside me - who'd arrived after I did - felt the same, and asked the server when they could expect their food - "five minutes", she said. I got served just before they did.

As to the food - well, of course, this is the equivalent of Pizza Express in the UK. And the last time I was there, I asked for hot honey dough balls - which I didn't get. So I ordered them again - and carbonara. Wow - they aren't joking with the word "hot"! Too spicy for my taste, and I won't be having them again - although the dough balls themselves were a nice texture. I just don't find that level of spice comfortable. The carbonara was delicious - although smothered in a rich sauce, which has been repeating on me all evening. Now, all I had to drink while I was having the dough balls was wine - so the first glass of that went down pretty fast, and I asked for another. Handily, they forgot to include that one on the bill.. ;-) In brief, the food is good, but don't go if you're in a hurry.

Later on, back at my mother's, the tv movie for the early evening was The Queen's Corgi: and with nothing better on, I decided to watch it. I figured, if nothing else, it'd have fun depictions of the Palace, and the Royal Family. And I was right - the depictions of the late Queen and Prince Philip (who were alive when this was made) are hilarious! what with her tickling the corgi's tummy, and Philip muttering grumpily. Not to mention the long-suffering servants, who have to clean up after the corgis, or hold umbrellas over them when they're out in the rain. That, to be fair, was the most I got out of the film - the story of Rex, her favourite, who legs it rather than end up having to mate with the corgi owned by the POTUS (Trump, in this case), only to find true love among the dogs of the street, left me a bit ho-hum. But it is sweet - and as I say, I loved the Palace bits!

On Monday and Tuesday, thinking film - and the top-rated films on my list are all showing at my local cinema. As usual, I had to check that website specifically. Monday, it was looking like Pretty Red Dress, a comic drama about a red dress, and its effects on a family. However.. it's plummeted in ratings! and now what's coming up is War Pony, the coming-of-age story of two young Native American boys.

On Tuesday, what was coming up  was something not even advertised on my film list, tsk - dunno why I didn't notice it on the cinema website before, either. Seven Winters in Tehran tells the true story of a 19-year old girl in Tehran, who killed her would-be rapist, and was in turn sentenced to death herself, and imprisoned for seven years. However, checking just now, it doesn't seem to be showing that evening - so that's not an option any more! And so I'm back to my original choice, another by Patricio GuzmánMy Imaginary Country describes the activism of women in Chile.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for We Will Rock You! at the Coliseum. Excellent - this didn't have tickets for the night I looked for before. Written by Queen with Ben Elton, should be a great night out.

On Thursday - heading out to Elstree, of all places, for Giffords Circus. Well, it was the best of what I saw advertised..

On Friday, my sometime-companion from UITCS suggested a murder mystery! The Murder Express: Jewel of the Empire.. set on a train, and includes dinner. Oh, lovely.. she got a Groupon deal, apparently..

Next Saturday, delighted to be back with Expat Bucket List London! Well, back with the founder of both this and Bucket List London - I haven't actually been with the Expat group yet. Yippee, back to the Globe - for The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, while I'm in the Lower Gallery, as usual, the others are upstairs.. the organiser did offer to switch with me, so I'd have some company, but I wouldn't subject him to such a lower-priced seat! Anyway, I do like to be close. And as I've now booked a flat on that side of town, and can hopefully move in on Wednesday.. I might be walking to this!

On the 25th, back with Discover London - History Walks and Events to Discover the Secrets of the 19th Century London Docks. Always love this part of town - again, this will be walking distance from my new place.

On the 26th, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I do wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

And on the 27th, back with UITCS again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

No comments:

Post a Comment