Monday 26 June 2023

Concert: From Swing to Soul

For today, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I did wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

Couldn't see anywhere to eat out there that I fancied - and goodness knows, Wonderville itself was never known for its culinary offerings. So I ate at The Lucas Arms. Where I got a great welcome. They'd changed the seating arrangement slightly, and the only really suitable table for me ended up being that sole table for 1, beside the ladies' loos. Which is fine - my chair was only banged once by the toilet door opening - you have to do it with some force to achieve that. Anyway - sadly, I really couldn't finish my dinner; the steak and ale pie is delish, but a bit heavy for this weather. But I did eat most.

I kind of remembered where Wonderville was - certainly, off the bus, I made my way to Haymarket unassisted. Couldn't then quite remember where on Haymarket it was - but it didn't take long to find. Bless her, the receptionist was quite away with the fairies - didn't notice me standing there at all: in fact, I gave her an awful fright! She checked me off the list and waved me in. Now, seeing the entrance to the concert area open, I headed in there - only to find that they were still working on the soundcheck, and I was supposed to head back out to the bar. The maitre d' did ask whether there was a table I fancied - so I asked whether I could just leave my coat on a chair, to reserve it! He kind of made a face, then said ok.

I was delighted to find that the bar was now - unlike last time - taking actual verbal orders. So I had a glass of wine, and grabbed a sofa, while the going was good - the bar was completely full by half an hour before showtime, I was lucky I was early. As for the soundcheck being private - HAH! It was, in fact, deafening, from the perspective of the far side of the bar. And when it was time, in I went-  seating appeared unassigned, and lots of people were throwing dirty looks at my poor coat, which was in a pretty prime position. Thank goodness I left it there - I really don't know how that maitre d' would have reserved it for me otherwise!

Well, there I was, the only one at a table on my own, and feeling a bit sorry for myself - and just at that point, a young lady popped up and asked - very politely - whether she and her friend could gatecrash my table, as they didn't have a great view! Well of course, I said yes - and they turned out to be lovely, we had a lovely chat all evening.

The show is excellent - three singers, all top notch, a terrific backing band.



And they perform lots of classics - also some classical takes on more modern pieces. Highlight, for me, was the two-song tribute to Tina Turner - I could have listened to their adaptations of her music all night! Low point.. had to be their (swing) adaptation of, er - Creep. Now, I admire their willingness to try to adapt - pretty much anything. But honestly, how did those lyrics fit into this concert? ("I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo"..) No, no, this was just surreal.

At the interval, I gave up on trying to get another drink online, and headed for the bar again. Where a group arrived, wanting to know where their order was, it was taking so long! Yep, I guess DIY is the way to go - although we did note one group that got their orders delivered. But in general - nope, I don't think it's working yet.

Meantime, the performers were mingling with the audience, which was a nice touch. The second half is, as they say, our chance to dance. Now, we didn't - but plenty did. The atmosphere was great - I'd be delighted to come back. Highly recommended - runs on selected dates until the 15th of November.

Tomorrow evening, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

On Wednesday, thinking film - and delighted to see that Asteroid City has risen in ratings, and is now top of my list! Ah well, that's a no-brainer - a Wes Anderson comedy, with an all-star cast, including Jason SchwartzmanScarlett JohanssonTom HanksJeffrey WrightBryan CranstonEdward NortonMaya HawkeRupert FriendSteve ParkLiev SchreiberMatt DillonSteve CarellTilda SwintonJeff Goldblum (playing an alien, appropriately I guess..), Adrien BrodyWillem DafoeMargot Robbie.. and probably some other people I recognise. Anyway, I love Wes Anderson's stuff - and it's on in my local cinema (for flat #1). And there are showings all day, so, given that I probably shan't have any other demands on my time that day, until I get another job, I can go to whatever suits!

On Thursday, thinking of heading back to Watkin's Bookshop, for the first time in an age - they have an author talk called Holy Waters - Searching for the Sacred in a Glass. There's a new book about this, which considers the use of alcohol in religion - sounds interesting! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And next Monday, I'm back with UITCS for A Playlist for the Revolution, at the Bush Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment