Monday 12 June 2023

Play: The Accidental Death of an Anarchist

Tonight, took myself off to see The Accidental Death of an Anarchist, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I heard only good things.. A thundery afternoon cleared up in the evening, and I finally shook myself free of work and headed off to The Lucas Arms for dinner. And was well fed - but what a surprise to have to give in my order in full! They must have new staff..

En route, I passed the installation on Charing Cross Road - which changes regularly, and today was a theme of floating hearts:


Arrived early - and for once, wasn't exactly in the gods, but only in the Royal Circle. Only the next level up - so I wasn't in too much danger of imminent collapse. Took myself to the bar for a drink first - interestingly, the doors don't indicate the function, so I had to ask an usher where to find it! Also found they don't have seats in the bar - so I asked for my drink in plastic, and went and sat in my seat in the auditorium, to drink it.


It took the seats a long time to fill, and I had thoughts of moving more centrally - but no, it pretty much filled up by showtime.

So, this is a farce - not my favourite type of comedy, but I don't mind it if it's done well. And yes, this is done well: frequently hilarious. Basically, a lunatic - with a knack for impersonation - starts to make a nuisance of himself down the police station - the very one where a so-called "anarchist" recently plummeted to his death from a window. Not just a comedy, though - this one is a very pointed satire of the police force, with some subtle (and many not-so-subtle) barbs. A real tour-de-force from the lead actor, who basically carries it, it also takes a small swipe at the media. But the final word goes to the police.. don't rush off at the end, they show some statistics that might shock you.

The couple beside me were obviously Italian - they nearly collapsed with laughter at a Berlusconi joke! The standing ovation at the end was even more enthusiastic when it was the lead actor's turn.. it's not many can play such a physical role, so constantly throughout - although it is a little shorter than your typical show. Includes flashing lights and an explosion, in the second half. This play has a history - and I would have preferred the original ending - but hey, it still has some points to make. Booking till the 9th September - recommended.

Tomorrow, giving up on Meetup, I'm with TAC, for Mixed Omens - an improvised horror show, at the Drayton Arms.

On Wednesday, thinking film - and what's coming up is a documentary called The Pearl Button, set in Chile. Scenery looks spectacular.. this is showing in the ICA only. Wow, it's years since I was last there, too! This is part of an In Focus series they're doing on the director, Patricio Guzmán.

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for All of It, at the Royal Court. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Where it looks as though they've completely given up on entertainment for adults for the summer - well, we'll see about Limerick; Ennis is a no-hoper!

No comments:

Post a Comment