Saturday 10 June 2023

Walk: Rockin' in the West End

I had to be up in the morning.. uhh.. Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners were headed on a new walk, Rockin' in the West End! Got myself out of bed with a sigh, dug out the summer clothes, including a U2 t-shirt.. it certainly promised to be t-shirt weather! Didn't go for a skirt.. the legs are not yet summer-ready, and I didn't leave myself time, in the end, to make them so. I did leave slightly later than intended - but still made it before he left - he does hang around for 15 minutes, for latecomers. And TBH, I was glad not to have been hanging around with him in the sun for that time - it was, as they say, scorchio!

As he said, we'd be more strolling than walking - and we stayed in the shade, mostly. Crikey, what a difference from yesterday, never mind the rest of the week.. our walk took us straight down onto Charing Cross Road, where we passed that marvellous installation, just south of Tottenham Court Road Station - I didn't think to take a photo there, being, frankly, too fascinated with the pictures of Star Wars spaceships drifting through the image. We were, of course, headed to Denmark Street, with its numerous musical associations - and it so happens that the installation seems to have another entrance there! So I snapped off a quick one:


Anyway, we positioned ourselves outside Regent Sounds, which used to be a recording studio, but has now morphed into a guitar shop:



And wouldn't you know it, as we were stood there, one of the workers came out and produced a list of all the famous people who have recorded there. In fact, he started to read us the list.. gave up about halfway through, and just hit the highlights. Wow, huh? Pity about the bloke who popped out after him, offering to sell us merchandise - nobody was as interested in him. But it's good to know they have it, if you need it.


As we went around, Laurence's audience were as vocal as he was, sharing their experiences - not surprising, considering the importance that people attach to the music they love. My personal association with the area dates from when I was based at an office around here - which, as it happened, we passed. Now, I've noticed the frieze on the cinema next door before - what I didn't realise is that it depicts the arts!


There's some dispute over the origin of the name! ;-)


Damn, I could have used one about then..

We stopped outside the famous Ronnie Scott's:


and saw some Pride:


Chinatown baked in the heat, which increased as we went around:


As usual, we went for lunch afterwards - unusually, however, nowhere had been booked! He took us to Caffe Inn - where they were a bit nonplussed to see this group of eight descend on them. We weren't sure, at first, whether you could have a full meal here - but you can, and although menus aren't left on the tables, they do have them. What they had left out at the counter didn't appeal to me, and I had a ham and cheese melt - which was pretty light, just what I needed in that heat. I also didn't think they did wine, until I spotted the bottles behind the counter - so I ordered a bottle of "light and crispy" pinot grigio, to share. And things looked up - especially with a fascinating chat about travel. Ah yes, been there, bought the guide books.. our meal was a bit fraught, however, what with constant mistakes with the orders: but hey, it all got sorted in the end. I wouldn't be rushing back, though.

Afterwards, we repaired to the nearby Ye Grapes:


where more wine, and much excellent conversation, was had before we braved the heat again. Sadly, I dunno when I'll next be with them - he doesn't seem to be doing a walk in two weeks' time, and apparently is only doing one Saturday walk next month, which I can't make. So we'll have to try and coordinate for August..

This evening, I was supposed to be having my monthly get-together with my ex-work colleagues, too - at The Lucas Arms - but two couldn't make it, and the other two of us decided to wait for next month, and do it properly. A pity, but I appreciate the chance to have a rest..

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club, for Dauntless - Grace O' Malley, Pirate Queen, at the British Museum. AKA Granuaile, she was a real person.. the pirate queen of the West of Ireland, who did one better than Mary, Queen of Scots, and actually did get to meet Elizabeth I! This one isn't told by Clare Murphy, though - it's Debs Newbold

On Monday, taking myself off to see The Accidental Death of an Anarchist, at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I've heard only good things..

On Tuesday, giving up on Meetup, I'm with TAC, for Mixed Omens - an improvised horror show, at the Drayton Arms.

On Wednesday, thinking film - and what's coming up is a documentary called The Pearl Button, set in Chile. Scenery looks spectacular.. this is showing in the ICA only. Wow, it's years since I was last there, too!

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for All of It, at the Royal Court. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment