Tuesday 20 June 2023

Film: Mi País Imaginario (My Imaginary Country)

Tonight, what was coming up was something not even advertised on my film list, tsk - dunno why I didn't notice it on my local cinema website before, either. Seven Winters in Tehran tells the true story of a 19-year old girl in Tehran, who killed her would-be rapist, and was in turn sentenced to death herself, and imprisoned for seven years. However, checking over the weekend, it turned out not to be showing this evening - so that wasn't an option any more! And so I was back to my original choice, another by Patricio Guzmán - My Imaginary Country describes the activism of women in Chile.

Two days in a row there - I'd normally go to GBK for dinner, but didn't fancy that twice in a row. So I decided to go to Nando's, also in the Brunswick Centre. What a good idea - I was seated quickly, and with the door kept open, I was in the way of a nice breeze. And it made a change - it's a while since I was in Nando's. And it was yummy. I finished in good time, although this evening's film was on earlier than yesterday's, so I was set to shop afterwards.

This is actually a cracker of a film - concentrating pretty much entirely on contemporary activists, we get to see them interviewed, we get to see them protest. We have an interview with a photographer who was shot in the eye. We have an interview with a woman - face covered the whole time - who has a son, and hopes that someone will care for him if, some day, she doesn't come back. We have an interview with a medic, who describes how it's as dangerous for her as for any of the protestors, even though all she's doing is caring for the wounded. And the whole time, he's concentrating on the women..

It's a heady film, as we get planted in the middle of chanting protestors, throwing stones. Irish as I am, the scenes of armoured cars reminded me of the North.. the filmmaker remarked how he couldn't believe these scenes, which looked to him like civil war! Personally, looking at the offices of multinationals in the background, as protestors hurled missiles and police fought back with tear gas, I couldn't imagine how anyone does business in the middle of that - speaking of the North again, investment grew so much after the Good Friday Agreement! As for the filmmaker, he couldn't believe how society could function in this environment either. And such issues as were raised honestly didn't seem that significant in themselves - a hike in train fares, a demand for increased pensions - you have to think, if things like that incite the people to such a degree - how desperate are things for them..?

Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for We Will Rock You! at the Coliseum. Excellent - this didn't have tickets for the night I looked for before. Written by Queen with Ben Elton, should be a great night out.

On Thursday - heading out to Elstree, of all places, for Giffords Circus. Well, it was the best of what I saw advertised..

On Friday, my sometime-companion from UITCS suggested a murder mystery! The Murder Express: Jewel of the Empire.. set on a train, and includes dinner. Oh, lovely.. she got a Groupon deal, apparently..

On Saturday, delighted to be back with Expat Bucket List London! Well, back with the founder of both this and Bucket List London - I haven't actually been with the Expat group yet. Yippee, back to the Globe - for The Comedy of Errors. Unfortunately, while I'm in the Lower Gallery, as usual, the others are upstairs.. the organiser did offer to switch with me, so I'd have some company, but I wouldn't subject him to such a lower-priced seat! Anyway, I do like to be close. And as I've now booked a flat on that side of town, and can hopefully move in by then.. I might be walking to this!

On Sunday, back with Discover London - History Walks and Events to Discover the Secrets of the 19th Century London Docks. Always love this part of town - again, this will be walking distance from my new place.

On Monday, got a cheap ticket with CT for From Swing to Soul, a concert series at Wonderville. I do wonder whether they fixed their tech issues from last time..

And next Tuesday, back with UITCS again - this time, for A Strange Loop, at the Barbican. Multi-award-winning, it seems - cheaper tickets available from WhatsOnStage (WOS), fulfilled by London Theatre Direct. Interestingly though, to get the cheaper offer, buy through WOS..

No comments:

Post a Comment