Monday 7 November 2022

Concert: Piano Passions

Well, I made it back! eventually. It occurred to me afterwards that the reason my flights have been earlier in recent weeks might simply be that I didn't book in time to get the later ones! They wouldn't necessarily advertise the flights that are full.. Anyway, I was now back to the later time - with a vengeance. Ryanair had its standard 1-hour delay - so, instead of taking off at 10.15pm, we were now scheduled to leave at 11.15. So it's a shame that the airports no longer seem to have free WiFi:


As someone said, this sign should read "WiFi-Free Zone"!

Now, at 11.05, we were still waiting to get onto the tarmac and walk to the plane. Could see it out the window, could see the passengers disembark. They were long gone and still no sign of letting us out - I was wondering whether the plane had a fault, and whether we'd get out at all! Half an hour, we were stood there.. finally, someone opened the door. The guy at the head of our queue asked him what the delay was - wouldn't you know it, he said, they were late already, and then two kids were sick. So they were just cleaning it up. Lordy.. I guess even Ryanair wouldn't leave that for us to find!

So, it was 11.45pm by the time we took off, 12.50am by the time we landed. Too late for the Stansted Express, of course, which finishes at 12.30 (I must remember I have an unused return portion of a ticket with them, now) - fair play to the National Express though, I've always said they had enough demand to put on a more frequent service, and it looks as though they've finally noticed. Not much of a queue, and I easily got on a bus at 1.25. Which means it was after 3 when I got home, fielding regular calls from my mother, who stayed up till she knew I was in..

Ah, the advantages of WFH - I rolled out of bed at 9.30, logged into the computer, set it to stay on as if I was working, and went back to bed for a few hours. Lovely! and no-one was looking for me till after I was properly up. Tonight, with nothing on Meetup, I thought about heading to see the Carnaby Street Christmas lights, which will be up by now. But I had another look at what was on, and booked for Piano Passions at Cadogan Hall - Beethoven and Chopin, gorgeous! Hadn't had a chance to shop, of course, and was properly hungry by the evening - I decided to go for Cote in Sloane Square, just down from the concert hall. Decided also to book, just in case.

I had to take a couple of buses - had some fun. I had a choice for my first bus - one was the #46, so I was sad to see it come as I made my way to the stop. Happily, just as I got to the stop, along came another! and I was off. Just down the road, we came across the first #46 - I dunno what happened, but it was now empty and executing a complicated turnaround - our driver got out to assist. Shortly afterwards, I had to change buses - and of course, my stop was closed for roadworks, and I needs must head to the next. (This closure is not flagged online.) Never mind, things went smoothly after that - and I could view the Christmas lights progress! Plenty of signs on Piccadilly, warning of road closures this week so they can be put up.. A lot of places haven't gotten around to them yet - this will be a spectacular route in a few weeks. Harvey Nichols is a notable exception, looking as though Christmas has exploded all over it! (Sorry, I couldn't get a good shot of it.)

Arrived slightly early at Cote - she gave me a choice of a cramped table between two occupied ones, or heading down the back - which is what I did, taking a seat with a good view of the bar. (Which proved handy when I wanted a second glass of wine, later on, and the barman noticed me and brought it himself.) The Prix Fixe menu had butternut squash and roasted garlic soup, which I thought sounded nice - as well as steak frites, my old reliable, and chocolate mousse. So all of that is what I had, along with their excellent chardonnay.

Service, I have to say, was unparalleled in my recent experience - it makes such a difference. In fact, my waiter was being trained in, and boy was he keen to please! Poor lad only made one mistake, getting flustered when he brought my steak knife, and forgetting to remove my regular knife. As to the food - oh man, that soup was divine, lovely and sweet. I wasn't mad about the burnt offering of sourdough served with it - but it was warm, I was hungry, and I ate every bite. The rest was excellent, as ever - when Cote is good, it's very, very good, and this is a lovely branch of it. No wonder I had another glass there, instead of in the concert hall bar - and I had a great view of the barman, impressing customers with his cocktail-shaking tricks. Interestingly, towards the end of my meal, I got an email to say my reservation had been cancelled - I suspect the restaurant forgot to confirm I'd arrived, then cancelled it later. As it happened, there were plenty of tables - I needn't have booked at all.

A short walk to the hall then, and the guy wasn't half as interested in checking my bag as my ticket. Well, it's a small bag. I had to run to the loo, which just left me enough time to pant my way upstairs to the hall. Just as well I wasn't late - I was front row centre!


I just had time to snap that photo as the pianist walked onstage. And it was an impassioned performance indeed - unable to see his face properly, or his hands, from where I was sitting, I focussed on his feet - constant use of the right pedal, I noticed. Rather like driving! Similar function here, in a way, to the accelerator pedal in a car - driving the sound forward by blending the notes.

Beethoven first, and I was in heaven. After the interval, passion of a different sort, with Chopin - I've never been as keen, I'm afraid: in contrast with the chap to my left, who was enraptured. But they were both beautifully played, and it was an interesting combination of repertoire. Also great to be back here - it's been a while.

On the way home, I caught the bus much more easily - and got a glimpse of the tree on Regent Street, as we turned the corner:


Got off near the Brunswick Centre to do a bit of shopping on the way home - of course, again my bus stop was closed because of roadworks! (This, at least, is flagged online.) Anyway, again, it looks as though Christmas has exploded over Brunswick Square:


Tomorrow, headed to see 
John Gabriel Borkman, by Ibsen, at the Bridge Theatre.

On Wednesday - originally, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue PostsNow, last Thursday, I was to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. But wouldn't you know it, that performance was cancelled. Instead, I've changed my booking for Noor to this night. Sadly, not with the group, who rearranged for a night I can't go.

On Thursday, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On Friday, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just last Thursday, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. And you think you know someone.. Can't believe I used to consider him a friend.

Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I'm back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket won't go to waste!

On Saturday, planned another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! But lo, of the four people I invited, three have now bowed out. Jeez.. so I'm down to just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, so I decided to head somewhere different. For variety. We're going to The Garrick Arms, which is in a nice, central area, and is - crucially - a Greene King pub: so I can have my pie!

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

Next Monday, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On the 15th, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On the 16th, I'm back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On the 17th, I'm back with UITCS at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. On the 19th, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment