Wednesday 23 November 2022

Comedy: Radu Isac

Tonight - oh dear, I just wasn't sure. A few things were coming up that I was iffy about.. I was leaning towards Chess Community Wednesdays, with the London Chess Community (LCC). But I booked with them twice before and cancelled, so was reluctant to do it again. In the end, I plumped for TAC, who had cheap tickets for Radu Isac in the Trapeze Bar - love him! Ate in O' Neill's, though - I prefer their fare to anything I can get in Shoreditch!

Well, I worked late, and left a little late. And the place was packed - which was predictable as I approached, and could see the upstairs dining area open - they don't do that midweek unless necessary. World Cup, don'tcha know..


So I headed upstairs, got one of about the last two tables, and watched Belgium beat Canada. (Yay for this side of the world, I guess!) Service was predictably slow - I had to go and get her to take my order, whereupon she said she'd do it at the table. Well, gee! So she did, and I got fed - about half an hour after I'd arrived. And it was delish, as ever - I'll have to be careful in future though, I think I got charged extra for the chips, even though I had them instead of rice! I think she wasn't used to the menu, but I'll pay more attention next time.

Now, I'm used to waiting all day for the #205 - so it was a miraculous treat to see it arrive, not only at the same time I did, but also exactly at its allotted time! So, I arrived 10 minutes in advance of the show - the TAC does like you to get there half an hour early, but the venues don't usually make a thing of it. It's been a while since I was last here, so I forgot how one of the front doors remains closed - which flummoxed me for a while. Never mind, a friendly chap having a smoke directed us right. The comedy was downstairs, of course - I got a glass of white wine, first one in years I grimaced after taking a sip of, and found a seat safely back from the front row.

It was absolutely packed - I wondered about the necessity of advertising through TAC in that case, until I realised it was being filmed, and they probably wanted a capacity crowd. Well, after a very mediocre warm-up act (sorry, but he really was), Radu came on. And was his usual, brilliant, self-deprecating self, reminiscing with nostalgia about days on the couch during lockdown, furloughed and doing nothing. Took swipes along the way at bankers, capitalism, and drivers. He was on for a little under an hour, and yes, I really enjoyed it.. or would have, if the damn seat hadn't been so uncomfortable. No lower back support. 'S funny, I have a chair like that at home, but it doesn't make me stiff like this one did. Well anyway, this meant I was very glad when it was over.. And wow, the #205 appeared again, straight away. This has to be a record!

Tomorrow, I'm back with TAC for Haunting Julia, at The Questors Theatre, a new one to me. A ghost story, goodee! Written by Alan Ayckbourn.

On Friday, back with the Crick Crack Club for The Beast in Me, by Daniel Morden. At King's Place. Fantastic! And yay, I persuaded the lady from last night who booked the restaurant to come to this as well - we're grabbing a bite in the Rotunda Bar beforehand.

On Saturday, I have my Christmas get-together with Helen! We're planning a Christmas bonanza - first to the Magical Ice Kingdom at Winter Wonderland, where we must also have a stroll around the Christmas markets, and get some alcoholic hot chocolate. Then food - then we're on a Tootbus night-time open-top bus tour. As booked on Wowcher. Now, there is a rail strike that day, but she says it's not yet affecting her - she'll keep an eye on it. Mind you, the Tube strike might - I had her asking me for bus directions on Monday!

On Sunday, I'm back with Discover London, for a walk entitled Secrets of the Riverside Part 1: Tower Bridge to London Bridge. These events are good - I'm delighted to be back on one! And I see this one is now booked up.

The next two days, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for some reason, I only just saw their advertised trip, on Monday, to see Austentatious: An Improvised Jane Austen Novel, at the Arts Theatre. Awesome! This should be good - title decided by the audience on the night.

On Tuesday, we're back at the Park Theatre for the Make Mine a Double series - next week, it's Press, which examines the world of journalism, and Tunnels, about two cousins hoping to escape East Berlin. So, darker than this week's.

Next Wednesday.. same problem as this Wednesday. Again, watch this space..

On the 1st - well, I might be unemployed, as my contract technically ends the day before, and the new company is busy with a background check. If I am, best thing on is an online talk, The Life and Times of Magnus Folk, from the Surrey History Meetup. One of the earliest electrical engineers in England, it seems. Anyway, it's free, if I want to cancel.

Then back to Ireland for the weekend again - flying Aer Lingus for a change! My passport is due to expire, you see - I don't technically need one to travel between Ireland and the UK, but Ryanair demands it. Aer Lingus doesn't.. so, I must get on to that renewal now!

On the 5th - yep, the LCC again looked like the best option. Hmm. But just today - hallelujah! I was saved by London Social & Cultural Meetups, who have scheduled a talk on The 70th Anniversary of the Great London Smog. (Although oddly, we're meeting outside - perhaps the venue is hard to find?) Anyway, I'm delighted - this is that friendly group I joined a while ago for Evensong at St. Bartholomew the Great, and I'm glad to be seeing them again.

On the 6th, well, Free Stuff and Free Events are holding another online singalong. Again, I cancelled my attendance at the last of these I booked for, so am reluctant to rush off and book again.. Or the Garden Talks have one on How Did Language Begin? Unfortunately, my free trial has long since expired, and they won't let me take out another. Well, I might pay - but I'd be paying for a month's worth, so I figure I might as well wait until closer to the date, and get the value..

On the 7th, phew, a definite plan! I'm back with UITCS for Baghdaddy at the Royal Court. About a little girl, realising she's half Iraqi, just as the Gulf War is raging. I see CT now has tickets for this.. unusually for this venue!

On the 8th, I've signed up for another Watkin's Bookshop talk! This is Colin Stanley on Colin Wilson's Introducing the Occult. Well, the last talk I was at here was interesting, so..

On the 9th, I'm heading to Lightopia, at Crystal Palace Park. As suggested by Over 40 Living the Life, who are not actually hosting a trip themselves, but just wanted to advertise it. 15% discount if you subscribe to Lightopia's mailing list, 20% discount for purchases of 10 or more tickets. And durnit if Groupon hsn't just advertised cheap tickets..

On the 10th - I've bravely scheduled another meeting of Those who Do Not Come. It's my last weekend in London before Christmas, you see. Well, so far Ivan and my first boss in London are probable attendees, the one person who came the last two times probably not, for once. We shall see - I asked them again to confirm, and Ivan did, and the one who probably can't make it said he probably couldn't! Nowhere booked yet, but I'm thinking The Lucas Arms, maybe - O' Neill's isn't taking bookings for that day.

And on the 11th, I'm vaguely thinking of heading to see Carnaby Street's Christmas lights..

No comments:

Post a Comment