Monday 14 November 2022

Concert: Takács Quartet

Tonight, not having been with London Classical Music and Theatre Group for ages, I was with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who were playing Beethoven. Sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

As all the buses I was recommended to get left from the same stop - which is a hop, skip and jump from O' Neill's - that's where I ate. Plenty of room downstairs, for once - but as I was about to order on my phone, I suddenly remembered how I'd decided to switch from rice to chips with my curry. Unfortunately, that turned out to be something I couldn't do online - just as well it wasn't busy, because I ordered from the bar for the first time. AND he remembered me (this is becoming a habit - I now have three local eateries that know what I want the minute I come in!). I did cause him a bit of a headache, changing to chips - and had to remind him of the onion rings - but he did well! especially considering the last time I was in here was the week before last. Oh, and I'll be having chips in future - they were very moreish. It's so long since I had curry chips! Yum to the curry in general, it's been too long.


And so down to the hall, in plenty of time - just as well, because the bar seating area filled up completely. I secured a table, and went in search of a glass of wine. Just as well I got a peep at the menu before ordering - I have NEVER before seen anyone charge (wait for it) £15.50 for a large glass of sauvignon blanc! And I thought the £12.70 I've seen in other places was bad. I baulked - went for the chardonnay instead, at £5 less..

And so back to the table I'd grabbed. I had it to myself for a long time, then an elderly lady, seeing every other table was taken, asked whether she could occupy one of my chairs - and I said yes, I can let you have one! And when the organiser of our group arrived - and we started talking about the opera, and Tube strike - she chipped in to say that she'd been there that night too! So we had a bit of a natter about that production, and how much we'd enjoyed it! and as she spotted an old friend, and got up to leave us, she remarked how glad she was to meet us. So, that was nice.


I've never seen the hall so full. My seat was dead centre of the row - an excellent seat, indeed. And when the musicians arrived, they played with great vim and vigour - it was an enthusiastic rendition, and a lovely concert. Good to meet up with the organiser again, too. And a nice, early finish.. and on the way home, I discovered that Byron was born in John Lewis..



Tomorrow, back at the 
QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On Wednesday, I booked at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

Of course, when something is free and I'm going on my own, you know my plans can change.. Well now, I did think it funny that the one free, solo, and therefore changeable, event that I was going to this week.. coincided with Bono's stopover in London (at the Palladium) on his book tour; he's promoting his autobiography, Surrender. Which, of course, I have already - plus the audiobook. Couldn't resist, given that Bono himself narrates it. Anyway, tickets for his live appearances went on sale a month ago. Could I get one?! Not a hope - Dublin sold out in five seconds, London in seven, I hear. (They are smaller venues than usual for U2 concerts - not that U2 is actually playing on this tour, he has a few stand-in musicians.)

But lately, there have been ticket drops.. so I checked when I woke yesterday. And would you credit it, London was advertising about eight tickets.. literally shaking, I booked the closest I could get to the stage - Stalls, Row M. Had the wrong password for my Ticketmaster account, of course.. but managed it, in the end. (At this stage, only the London one is convenient.) And then - I wept tears of joy and relief. Goes to show - never give up. (Now sold out again.) Oh, and the ticket comes with a free copy of the book.. Lordy, at this stage I'll be gifting everyone a copy for Christmas!

On Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. On Saturday, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment