Sunday 13 November 2022

Storytelling: The Iliad

Today, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton were performing The Iliad. I set out in enough time to get there 10 minutes early.. that's not how it turned out, though. The back entrance was closed, it transpired, and I must needs schlep around the front - and join a massive queue. Now, when you actually get through the gate, the queue separates, and if you have a ticket for a particular time, as I did, you get fast-tracked. However, by this time, I was already five minutes late - and by the time I'd queued in the tent, had my bag checked, and gotten into the museum proper, it was later still. You can imagine the short shrift I gave the people appealing for donations. Anyway, when I got to the venue, the doors were closed. However, they don't turn people away - a few people were standing around, and a guy with a clipboard took a cartoonishly long time to find my name. And finally let me in.

Martin Shaw was on the door, and directed me to the far side - where I would have gone anyway. An usher tried to direct me to one of the seats at the back that they save for latecomers - I asked her whether there wasn't one closer. Bless, she had a peep further down, and spied a single seat, two seats in on the fourth row. So that's where I sat.


The storytellers were already in full flight, but I know they always start five minutes late, and I can't have missed much. My, the place was packed! Word has really spread about these - it was nearly full. Anyway, where they were at was the wedding of Achilles' parents, as it transpired - I hadn't heard this one before, but Sleeping-Beauty-like, the unpleasant magical person wasn't invited: in this case, the Goddess of Argument, Eris. So she dropped a golden apple (the Apple of Discord) into the mix, and ordered Paris, Prince of Troy, to give it to the most beautiful woman there. Unfortunately for the poor man, three beautiful goddesses were present - Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite, the goddess of love and sex. Each wanted the apple - on principle - but Aphrodite made the most compelling argument to the young man, telling him she'd provide for him the most beautiful of women, and make her fall in love with him. This, of course, was Helen. And this was the origin of the Trojan War, when he later kidnapped Helen and the Greek armies rose in vengeance against Troy..

Oh, this was something special. The Iliad goes on for a long, long time - we're usually finished the Sunday afternoon sessions by 4pm, but this ran on until nearly 5pm, having to field, at one point, an announcement that the museum was closing! And they weren't nearly finished - they got as far as the death of Hector (Paris' older brother), but gave a list of all the things they didn't have time for. Such as the death of Achilles, the Trojan Horse - and the ultimate fall of Troy, describing Hecuba, Queen of Troy, being led away to slavery after her family was slaughtered: and as she looked back at the burning towers, we were told mysteriously, she remembered her dream..

There's a nobility, a lyricism, to Hugh Lupton's storytelling - Daniel Morden's brings us right down into the action, solemnly, but with unexpected flashes of humour. What a combination. It's a real shame we had to leave - I could happily have stayed there right to the end of the story. All night, if necessary. These are like the bards of old, the entertainers at the feast - anyone so entertained would think themselves lucky indeed. And the way they tell this story, you can see why it's endured for millennia.. More appreciative comments around me as we left, someone saying he's definitely booking for the next one there, Gilgamesh, with Ben Haggarty, who was MCing today (I've already seen that show). Yes, the Crick Crack Club is something special..

Exiting, I passed The Museum Tavern - but it's a Greene King pub, and of course I was in one of those yesterday as well, so fancied something different. I was passing GBK on the way home, so stopped in there - where the waiter recognised me from last time and suggested I mightn't need a menu! I didn't, gave him the order before I sat down. And it was very moreish. Shopped on the way out - v convenient.

Tomorrow, not having been with London Classical Music and Theatre Group for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On Tuesday, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On Wednesday, I booked at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

Of course, when something is free and I'm going on my own, you know my plans can change.. Well now, I did think it funny that the one free, solo, and therefore changeable, event that I was going to this week.. coincided with Bono's stopover in London (at the Palladium) on his book tour; he's promoting his autobiography, Surrender. Which, of course, I have already - plus the audiobook. Couldn't resist, given that Bono himself narrates it. Anyway, tickets for his live appearances went on sale a month ago. Could I get one?! Not a hope - Dublin sold out in five seconds, London in seven, I hear. (They are smaller venues than usual for U2 concerts - not that U2 is actually playing on this tour, he has a few stand-in musicians.)

But lately, there have been ticket drops.. so I checked when I woke today. And would you credit it, London was advertising about eight tickets.. literally shaking, I booked the closest I could get to the stage - Stalls, Row M. Had the wrong password for my Ticketmaster account, of course.. but managed it, in the end. (At this stage, only the London one is convenient.) And then - I wept tears of joy and relief. Goes to show - never give up. Oh, and the ticket comes with a free copy of the book.. Lordy, at this stage I'll be gifting everyone a copy for Christmas!

On Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. On Saturday, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment