Tuesday 1 November 2022

Play: The Drought

Tonight, the horror continued - I booked with TAC again for The Drought, a short horror play at Grimfest at the Old Red Lion again.

Had a very moreish pie at The Lucas Arms first - and when the waiter dropped by and asked whether I'd like anything else, why, I decided I'd have another glass of wine - after all, it was nicer - as were the surroundings - than where I was going. And although the booking confirmation instructed me to be there half an hour beforehand - well, I knew that wasn't necessary. Hell, last time, they didn't even have a record of me!

In the event, I arrived 10 minutes early. This time, the guy with the checklist was a bit more prominent - and even had my name on the list! He'd no sooner checked off my name than the bell rang to say we could go up.. mind you, the actors weren't to be rushed! We were waiting on the landing for quite a few minutes before they deigned to open the door and admit us. (Fill from the front, as usual.)

I'm rather sorry I sat at the corner - it was ideal for the last production, but this time, one of the three characters spent most of his time with his back to me. Ah well. So, this is set on a Royal Navy vessel, in Victorian times, and it seems - eh - the ocean has dried up. Initially, we meet the captain and his steward - goodness, you couldn't have a Royal Navy officer without a servant! The rest of the crew has, apparently, gone for help. The ship is grounded on the ocean floor. The captain guards - with his life - a bottle with the last vestiges of seawater. And then another human arrives - a whaler, astonished to find other people around..

Would you believe, with a starting time of 7.30 (not sure what time we actually started), we didn't finish until 8.50. And I - felt - every - painful - minute. Now, if you were to ask me - and I'm no expert, mind - what the essentials of a play were, I'd say - have a coherent storyline. Doesn't have to have much happen, but please, let's be clear what is actually happening. After that, you can lay whatever existential bs you want over it.

I have no idea what this is about. I do know this - it wanders round and around in circles, and comes to no conclusion at all. The villain of the piece alternates between the captain and the whaler, it does seem to be saying something about the British class system (reflected in the Royal Navy).. maybe it's an environmental piece. Lord knows, that's a hot topic. Given the vital importance attached to the bottle of water - which is seawater, so you can't even drink it..

If these are its themes, it certainly has nothing new to say. Reminds me a bit of that tv series, The Terror, set on a doomed ship, around the same era, marooned in the ice (inspired by the Franklin expedition) - I gave up on that too, to be fair, it just spent ages going nowhere. Good acting, but a pointless play. Runs till Friday, if you're desperate. Me, I hope it's a long time till I'm back here..

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for their annual Day of the Dead event - this one is at Rich Mix. Stars Daniel MordenClare MurphyLucy Lill, and TUUP - and all but Clare Murphy, I haven't seen in an age! In fact, I've never heard of Lucy Lill before..

On Thursday,  I was to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. Suggestion of eating beforehand at Mercato Metropolitano. But wouldn't you know it, that night's performance was cancelled.. Instead, I'm off to a talk at Watkin's Bookshop (which also has a Meetup presence!). Theme is The First Ghosts, by Irving Finkel - ghost stories have been around for a long time..! He's written a book about the first evidence of tales of the supernatural.. 

Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Film for Saturday - now that the listings are finally out - is looking like Róise & Frank. Set in the Irish-speaking Gaeltacht, it's the story of a grieving, recently bereaved woman, who becomes convinced that a stray dog she finds is the reincarnation of her husband, Frank.. Not showing in London at all, it seems, but I can see it in Ennis. Let us pray there isn't a match on..

On Monday, with nothing on Meetup, I thought about heading to see the Carnaby Street Christmas lights, which will be up by then. But I had another look at what's on, and have now booked for Piano Passions at Cadogan Hall - Beethoven and Chopin, gorgeous!

Next Tuesday, headed to see John Gabriel Borkman, by Ibsen, at the Bridge Theatre.

On the 9th - originally, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue Posts. Now, instead, I've changed my booking for Noor to this night. Sadly, not with the group, who rearranged for a night I can't go.

On the 10th, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On the 11th, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just on Thursday, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I'm back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket won't go to waste!

On the 12th, planning another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! As of now, of the four people I've invited, one is a pretty certain "no" and two more are iffy, as they might have to be abroad. Jeez.. If it's just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, I think we'll head somewhere different. For variety. On the other hand, Imad's Syrian Kitchen is right off Carnaby Street.. and the lights are probably going to be cool.. Of course, there is the small issue of the irregularity of the wine measures!

On the 13th, back with the CCC at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On the 14th, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On the 15th, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On the 16th, Im back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On the 17th, I'm back with UITCS at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. And for once, not going to the cinema that weekend - instead, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment