Tuesday 8 November 2022

Play: John Gabriel Borkman

Tonight, headed to see John Gabriel Borkman, by Ibsen, at the Bridge Theatre. Now, I can eat decently around there - but fancied The Lucas Arms, which I'd be passing on the way to the bus. Honestly, there's a better atmosphere there than in The Brigade, which would have been my other choice. So, I schlepped along to The Lucas Arms in good time - arriving, it seemed, right at the same time as a large group - I left the corner to them, and took one of the long tables near the door. The friendly guy at the bar - whom I've met before - knew without asking where I was sat: and I finally got an answer as to why they've been serving drinks in plastic all this time! Sure enough, the dishwasher is broken, and they're waiting for parts. Anyway, I got a nicer plastic container tonight than usual - in the shape of a wine glass - and was quickly, and well, fed.

Made it just in time to catch the bus! Mind you, it was a bumpy ride - and after what was quite a rich meal, I was feeling quite queasy by the time we eventually got to London Bridge - the journey made longer by atrocious traffic on Gray's Inn Road (lots of roadworks). Just as well I left early - and it was a relief to get out, and walk through the cool night air. Great views around here, of course:



The guy at the door flashed a torch into my bag, and I was in - headed straight for my seat, as the bar here only gives very small measures, and I didn't fancy it. Again, though, kudos to them for texting me my ticket link on the day of the performance! So handy..


The set moves around a little to depict different scenes - and yes, if you look at the top right, that is a grand piano, up on that ledge, looking precarious. I had to wonder whether it was going to be played - principle of Chekhov's Gun? Sure enough, one of the characters plays the piano - for real, it seems; Daisy Ou is an actual concert pianist, and through much of the play, gives a lovely rendition of Danse Macabre as background music! Fair play to her, also, for navigating the steep climb up there..

Simon Russell Beale is JG Borkman himself, a former king of banking, latterly disgraced, who spent five years in prison for embezzling customers' funds - and since his release, seems to have become a prisoner in his own palatial house, with him and his wife keeping strictly to their separate sections. Until people start to come and visit - her sister, the Borkmans' son (whom his mother depends on to restore the family name), his much older female friend, of whom mummy strictly disapproves. Oh, and the pianist, who is soon dispatched upstairs to tinkle the ivories. Her dad appears too - he's an old friend of JG's, it transpires.

I'd never heard of this play - described as Ibsen's most modern, and sure enough, we can relate to banking scandals! It's also a transition between the old guard and the new. As the play progresses, we find out much of the truth behind JG's downfall. And we see how much is vested by the older generation in the new, all of the older people wanting something from their younger counterparts. Ah, but what do the young have to say about all this..?

It's a cracking yarn - and I think might be my favourite of Ibsen's plays. Gripping - highly recommended. Runs till the 26th. And a side seat is just fine, BTW!

Tomorrow - originally, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue PostsNow, last Thursday, I was to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. But wouldn't you know it, that performance was cancelled. Instead, I've changed my booking for Noor to this night. Sadly, not with the group, who rearranged for a night I can't go.

On Thursday, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On Friday, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just last Thursday, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. And you think you know someone.. Can't believe I used to consider him a friend.

Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I'm back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket won't go to waste!

On Saturday, planned another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! But lo, of the four people I invited, three have now bowed out. Jeez.. so I'm down to just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, so I decided to head somewhere different. For variety. We're going to The Garrick Arms, which is in a nice, central area, and is - crucially - a Greene King pub: so I can have my pie!

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On Monday, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

Next Tuesday, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On the 16th, I'm back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On the 17th, I'm back with UITCS at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. On the 19th, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment