Saturday 12 November 2022

Opera: Alcina & Exhibition: The Horror Show

On Thursday, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

I was gonna be passing The Lucas Arms, so ate there. And well. And arrived, in due course, at the Opera House -to discover I was the first (apart from the organiser) to arrive! Well, that's what the Tube strike will do for you.. Well anyway, we decided we probably wouldn't see anyone else, so headed to our seats.


Before the first (of two) intervals, I had a lot of empty seats around me, which was nice! Well now, I love Baroque opera - for the music. Never, never try to follow the story - as I'm sure someone once told me. Of course, I'd made the mistake of looking up the synopsis the night before - it's a mishmash of confusing characters, a woman pretending to be a man, and a pair of sorceresses (Alcina and her sister) busily falling in and out of love, and turning people into animals on a whim. Neh, just go with it.. the members of the group that night agreed! (We met another at the first interval.)

The music is gorgeous, of course. And wow, what a fun production! In a stroke of genius, they've decided to present the ordinary, non-magical folk as kind of Puritan characters, as hinted at by the security curtain. Dressed in plain clothing, and busily reading their bibles, they're completely flummoxed by the sexy, glamorous sorceresses - Alcina's magic powers are contained in, of all things, a perfume bottle. The show is full of humour, the "transformed" characters wearing very cute animal heads, and there are plenty of visual gags to keep us entertained over what is, admittedly, a very, very long runtime. The singing was top-notch, though, and they played to an appreciative audience, who applauded after most arias.

I went down to meet the others at the first interval, but honestly couldn't be bothered at the second, and we didn't meet after, as the organiser had to run for a train. But it was good to see her again - I don't think I knew the other guy there - and it was lovely to get back to the opera. And to the Opera House. This production runs on selected dates till the 26th. I was back so late though, and was so tired, there was no point in blogging.

Yesterday, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London (CL) popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just over a week ago, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. And you think you know someone.. Can't believe I used to consider him a friend.

Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I was back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket wouldn't go to waste!

We met at a Pret on Strand - just as well she gave us the address, and that was what I searched for, as there are several in the area! It's a lovely building, actually - very high ceilings. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the salmon sandwiches I like - they had little left, by this hour. I grabbed an apple juice and joined the group - the only group in the place, and easy to spot. And we had a lovely chat - seems none of them had yet seen Barbarian, which I recommended highly, and not all had even heard of Darkfield. Man, they need me for recommendations..

Well, when everyone had arrived, we headed off. As you come from Strand, large signs advertise the show, but there's nothing on the door itself - however, if you head through the main entrance on that side, and left past the reception desk, you'll come to a lift, which you can take down to it - it's downstairs, in the Embankment Galleries. We entered by another door (opened by a button to the side), taking stairs down - there are some signs on the floor to direct you. Actually, it's much easier just to come in from Embankment, where they have a very obvious entrance. With an interesting soundtrack to entertain you - something like a demon eating. And having indigestion..


Now, I read a terrible review of this - which I'm happy to say I didn't agree with. Mostly. As we agreed in the group, though, they have a point in saying it's poorly curated. Seems a bit - scattered. However, helpful information boards throughout explain that it's divided into three sections - Monster is first, dealing with horrific art (including punk) through the 70s and 80s. And I have to say, this was my favourite:




The later sections were less successful for me - but there some pieces I liked. Including a strange little film of a woman inching her way around the edge of a room without touching the floor..



Well, I mightn't have liked everything - but as I said to people in the group, I think anyone with an interest in horror would find something in there for them. Runs till the 19th of February - recommended, if, as I say, you have an interest in such things! Meantime, we schlepped off to a pub - and I have to say, found an ideal one in Temple Brew House, which has a downstairs bar serving craft beer. And, crucially, had a long table free! Lovely - and I had a cracker of an evening, chatting to various people. So glad I made this in the end - both for the exhibition, and for the group. I had such a better time than I'd have had with that snob who runs CL.. Anyway, again, I was far too tired to blog last night.


This evening, planned another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! But lo, of the four people I invited, three bowed out. Jeez.. so I'm down to just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, so I decided to head somewhere different. For variety. We're going to The Garrick Arms, which is in a nice, central area, and is - crucially - a Greene King pub: so I can have my pie! again..

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On Monday, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On Tuesday, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On Wednesday, I'm back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. Next Saturday, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment