Wednesday 9 November 2022

Play: Noor

Tonight - originally, nothing better coming up than Soho Comedy Factory, upstairs at The Blue PostsNow, last Thursday, I was to be back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) - for Noor, at Southwark Playhouse. The true story of a WWII spy - and bought, as usual, on my PAYG subscription - which gives you cheap tickets to five shows, and never expires. But wouldn't you know it, that performance was cancelled. Instead, I changed my booking for Noor to this night. Sadly, not with the group, who rearranged for a night I can't go.

They had suggested meeting at Mercato Metropolitano, which is a good choice for the theatre - however, I was celebrating in a small way, having had a very promising interview for a permanent job, and decided to head back to The Lucas Arms again: which, after all, I would be passing. Rather preferable to having to head to separate stalls for your food and drink. Well, it was less crowded than last night, and I got a table without too much trouble, and ordered - exactly the same. Yes, they are beginning to recognise me here, too.. And interestingly, I was sat beside a group of young folks that I think I've sat beside before! Intense political discussion, very left-wing - and the same table that they were sat at before. I bet it's a regular thing..

Well, I quietly ate and left, avoiding joining in - their views being a bit too left-wing for me. Was just in time to miss one of the buses I could catch, and just in time to catch the other! At the theatre, spent ages queueing behind a couple that were confused about whether to buy a playtext or a program - and then the lady behind me tried to jump in front of me! Hmph. Annoying that they don't just scan e-tickets here any more. Anyway, I got my ticket and was just in time to buy a drink of v nice sauvignon blanc before they declared the house open. Unassigned seating, so I made my way in - you can take drinks in, here, and in glass too!


A very interesting, long, thin stage, seating on both sides. An usher was at pains to keep people from walking on the stage itself! Not even the actors always did that, frequently making their way past our feet, so that I was scared of tripping them - I sat in the front row. And wow, what a powerful performance - a gripping story, cleverly told, with minimal props, and one actor playing multiple parts. Permeated throughout with background music: from jazz to the Bach that the Nazi officer likes to listen to, to - right at the end - Indian music, evocative of the title character's origins. All beautiful. And the story itself is edge-of-your-seat stuff, a combination of carelessness and betrayal leading to Noor's downfall. A really moving ending makes it all the more memorable. Highly recommended - runs, again, till the 26th.

Tomorrow, back - at last! - with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG), for Alcina at the Royal Opera House. More Handel..

On Friday, I was heading to The Horror Show at Somerset House - a horror-based art exhibition - with The Horror Book Club. But then Civilised London popped up with another meal - so I booked that, and we were headed to Champor Champor, a Thai / Malay restaurant. Meeting beforehand at The Rose, nearby. Until he decided, just last Thursday, to cancel it! I supposed he hadn't wanted to do it with only two of us, since I was - unusually - the only one to sign up. But to my further surprise - he kicked me out of the group later that night! No warning, no explanation - not very "civilised". Jeez, I suppose he's had enough of me. And you think you know someone.. Can't believe I used to consider him a friend.

Killer is, he was such a good reference for good eateries - and the group is private, so without being a member, I won't be able to see where he's going. Ah well, TBH, I was beginning to feel out of place with the people who were attending the meals.. which was pretty much all I was doing with the group, lately. Meantime, I'm back at The Horror Show - at least the ticket won't go to waste!

On Saturday, planned another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! But lo, of the four people I invited, three have now bowed out. Jeez.. so I'm down to just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, so I decided to head somewhere different. For variety. We're going to The Garrick Arms, which is in a nice, central area, and is - crucially - a Greene King pub: so I can have my pie! again..

On Sunday, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On Monday, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On Tuesday, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

Next Wednesday, I'm back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On the 17th, I'm back with UITCS at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. On the 19th, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment