Saturday 12 November 2022

Pub: The Garrick Arms

This evening, planned another meal with the people that are harder to herd than cats! But lo, of the four people I invited, three bowed out. Jeez.. so I was down to just the same person that was the only one to make it last time, so I decided to head somewhere different. For variety. We went to The Garrick Arms, which is in a nice, central area, and is - crucially - a Greene King pub: so I could have my pie! again..

I was really lucky with buses this evening, hardly had to wait. But wow, was I right to book - you forget how insanely busy the West End gets at the weekend. I was also right not to walk - it was a little far for me, and looking at the crush on the pavements, it would've taken me forever. The bus driver thought the same about the crush, and honked his horn continually as we headed down Charing Cross Road, to warn people he was coming, and could potentially squish them if they stepped into the road without checking.

At the pub, a bouncer checked my bag for bottles. Inside, I discovered there is no separate dining area here, like in most Greene King pubs - and both the standing area and all the tables were packed. Hmm. So I went to the bar to ask. Now, what I didn't know was that, of all the people behind the bar, only one was actually taking orders - the lady who seemed to be in charge, and had an Italian accent. No wonder she seemed frazzled - well, I told her I had a booking, she asked for how many, and dispatched the guy beside her to find our table. Sure enough, one table had a sign on that said "I am booked, but feel free to have a quick one". And there were three people sat at it, looking comfortable. Boy, they really didn't want to be moved.. I didn't envy the poor guy who'd been given the job! One was playing cards, one holding a bouquet.. some kind of special occasion, it looked like. And of course, they had an attitude that screamed "Where are we going to go now?!" My sympathies. Anyway, I was just seated when my friend arrived.

He was well impressed with the variety on the menu - spent some time poring over it, then I dispatched him to order. I'd had enough of waiting at the bar. He paid, I paid him back later. Now, he brought the drinks straight away, but it took some time for our food to arrive. To be fair, the place was chaotic! Felt like Christmas had come early, with the fairy lights n all, and all the large groups, some with Harrods bags. Well, when we were finally fed, he was jealous of my pie. :-) Having said that, he cleaned his own plate - he had the chickpea curry. I bought the next round of drinks - and wouldn't you know it, the Old Mout cider he asked me for comes in different flavours! Duh, I hadn't asked. The manager laughed and busied herself getting my wine, while I yelled across the room and asked him - he said any would do, they're all good. (He was particularly impressed with the one I brought.) Anyway, I have to give that manager credit - in a difficult situation, she was laughing her way through it. Still, it was crazy - not sure I'd recommend it. But if you want a central location, and don't mind a bit of chaos, just make sure to book..

Tomorrow, back with the Crick Crack Club at the British Museum, where Daniel Morden and Hugh Lupton are performing The Iliad.

On Monday, not having been with LCMTG for ages, I'm with them for the second time in a week! Heading to Wigmore Hall this time, for the Takács Quartet, who are playing Beethoven. Now sold out - and I'm not surprised, given that when I booked, I got one of the last three (top price) seats! Ah well, it wasn't astronomical - and I do love Beethoven.

On Tuesday, back at the QT Bar - for the RB and Soul Revue. Now, they put on a great show - but, given my experience last time, I'll know to buy my drink at the upstairs bar and take it down with me - better choice! And at least this time, I'll know where I'm going.. Pity I didn't think to check CT first, who have cheap tickets!!

On Wednesday, I'm back at Conway Hall, for a concert called Sing Like a Vagabond - Shouts and Cries of Victorian London. Tickets are free, but you do have to book.

On Thursday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Coliseum, for a performance of Yeomen of the Guard, by Gilbert & Sullivan. And knowing the steepness of the steps in the Balcony - and the irregularity - and what with my stairs phobia - I've done my best to get a seat at the side, so I can use the handrail to get down. Oh, and an aisle seat, what with the restricted legroom..

Then I'm back to Ireland again. Next Saturday, UL is hosting a PhD reunion, with a tour of the campus and, crucially, free lunch. And I'll be using the occasion to catch up with an old friend and, hopefully, find out what finally prompted him to quit lecturing at last, more than 10 years after I did, considering he was bullied even worse than I was! With a late flight the next day, I might get to a film as well..

No comments:

Post a Comment