Wednesday 25 July 2018

Walk: Little Italy

Tonight, London Literary Walks again - this time it was Little Italy. Now, I've done this area before - but I betted he'd come up with something new. Starting earlier than usual, but happily just in time that I had time to breathe - and eat - after my last evening meeting - which didn't even overrun! And this was another walk that I could walk to.

Could, but didn't - I spent so much time writing the last post. Never mind, a bus happened along pretty promptly, and it was only four stops and a quick trot down the road. We were to meet in the Sir John Oldcastle - meet was all we did, as they were ready to go by the time I got there! Hey-ho, I wasn't the last to arrive.. we had a few people who aren't in the habit of coming regularly, which was nice to see.

As usual, we started with the pub itself, named for a boyhood friend of the future Henry V, and apparently the original character that was ultimately renamed Falstaff! The character was renamed so as not to cause offence to a descendant of Oldcastle's. Anyway, onwards to the jewellery shops of Hatton Garden..



..we had a small lecture on the local film industry, and then on to the plaque to Sir Hiram Maxim, inventor of the Maxim gun. Where we got a very in-depth description of the influence that it had on warfare. More photos here.

On through a varied landscape, including the Italian church and nearby buildings, a cafe whose basement apparently hosts French conversation group meetings, attended by one of our group, and the Mount Pleasant Post Office - which was my last local post office. Who knew that ITN's offices were right across the road! Well, our guide did.. Down, then, past techie offices and modern apartments, in stagnant air - it was too hot to be walking, and every breeze that came was welcome. We finished the evening in The Dolphin Tavern, where we conveniently snagged two adjacent tables and chatted away. And in looking up this link, I'm reminded that I passed it before, on a hot, sunny Sunday when it was closed, on another walk! (can't remember the details). And although it was closed, it was pointed out to us that day that it has a clock whose hands were frozen at the time the pub was hit by a bomb in 1915. Gosh, shame I didn't make the association while we were there! Anyway, a great night, and great to see everyone. And yes, quite a unique walk. And I walked back.

Tomorrow, back with London Science Events at the Royal Institution - this time, it's Synthetic IntelligenceLast Tuesday's organiser can't make it now - someone has volunteered to do the honours, but has asked people to confirm they're coming - and I seem to be the only one who has, so far!

On Friday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again, for Pity, at the Royal Court - which I missed last week, when the same group was doing it with another organiser. Delighted to make this - also delighted to avail of a terrific Time Out offer of £12 tickets for Band B seats - the official price for Band D is £14, so this was great value! Sadly, now sold out. There was a mixed reaction to it last night, among those who'd seen it.. well, time will tell.

On Saturday, back with them again, for the very last performance of Spun, at the Arcola. Second in a row with a theme of terrorism - this one is about the London bombings. Beforehand, we're headed for dinner at the Stone Cave, a Turkish place - and afterwards, to the Aqua 7 wine bar.

On Sunday, back with Walking in London, and Katie of Look Up London! Delighted she has a new walk - Smithfield & Clerkenwell: Guts & Glory. It's actually cheaper on her own site than on Funzing - unless you're getting one of those common 10% discounts!

On Monday, I'm taking myself to the Proms, at the Albert Hall, for the first time in ages. This one is An Alpine Symphony.

On Tuesday, I'm finally back with North London Friends, for Give My Regards to Broadway, Upstairs at the Gatehouse. Completely sold out now, I believe.

Next Wednesday - London Literary Walks is taking a break! That was the day I was looking at films for - but what was coming top was Teefa in Trouble. A Bollywood film - fine: except when I watched the trailer, the jokes weren't quite as funny to me as I think they were to the makers, and there was a bit too much exaggerated action - think slo-mo, and people balancing motorbikes on their fingertips. And 2.5 hours of all that was, I thought, a bit much - so no thanks. Which left Sanju again. Not so much.. so I then thought about heading, with UITCS, to Julie, again at the National. Huh! Only tickets left were £50, when I checked! I then checked again.. they had two tickets for £26! Gone again now. Anyway, I've booked for a Heroism & Villainy Walking Tour (with Real Magic!), via Walking in London.

On the 2nd, I was also booked with them - for The Summer Ghost Walk. I've been with this guide before - found him very good. And then.. Ryanair announced another bloody strike!! Yes, for the next day. Yes, when I was to go to Ireland for the weekend. So now I'm flying on the 2nd, instead - happily, it was Funzing, so I'll get a refund. And they've even refunded me the credits that I used to book it! And I retain the record of bookings that'll earn me more credits. And at least I found out earlier this time, so booked an alternative flight earlier, so it was a bit cheaper.

On the 6th, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group is off to Westferry Circus again, for The Importance of Being Earnest. Must remember to bring supplies, this time. And a hat.

On the 7th, UITCS is off to When Midnight Strikes, Upstairs at the Gatehouse.

On the 8th, London Literary Walks is back with Brook Green - another area near where I used to live! Actually, the first medical practice that I registered with, in London. Nice nurse - one very narky doctor.

On the 9th, UITCS is back to the Camden Fringe, with How to Be a Londoner in an Hour, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre. Then I'm down to Helen's for the weekend, for a party..

And on the 13th, back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment