Monday 9 July 2018

Play: A Monster Calls

Well, predictably, I've been tired all day. So would you be, I bet, having finally managed to get home at 3.45am! It was absolutely the quickest I could have managed, given that our 9.40pm flight didn't take off until 12.15am (a record late departure), arriving at 1.25am. The bus to the terminal was a shorter journey than usual, I had my bag lickety split, squeezed onto the last bus to London before the 90-minute drought (missing the last Stansted Express - for which I'd prepaid - as usual), and caught a bus home straight away. Couldn't have been faster, once I landed. And before that? Blame Stansted - their staffing problems are becoming legendary, leading to unprecedented delays. Oh, and avoid travelling through there if at all possible! They have quite literally gone to hell - never used to be this bad. Our poor pilot pleaded with us repeatedly not to take it put on the cabin crew, saying there was nothing they could do, and that they'd had a long day too. Quite. (Even Ryanair staff were saying that we'd be better off paying more with Aer Lingus, just to avoid Stansted..)

And so to today. I was off with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to A Monster Calls, at the Old VicWork was predictably busy - given the apparent general lack of interest in documentation from our new management, and the chronic understaffing we're experiencing as a result. Anyhoo, I was in the middle of something come leaving time, but managed to leave before too long - and although I missed the bus I wanted to catch, another was along shortly. And a sweltering journey it was, too - Lord knows what the driver was wittering about a diversion, as we came to the end of the journey, since we got off pretty much where we were supposed to, opposite Waterloo. I stopped into the Tesco en route to the theatre - they've stopped getting food into the office, so I must forage for myself in the evenings. I swear, it was pure coincidence that led me to buy a packet of Monster Munch..!

They were meeting outside the theatre - sensibly, as the Old Vic just isn't designed to process large crowds! So we stood there and chatted for a bit before going in - I was Dress Circle, which was nice; not only had I fewer steps to climb, but that was the bar we were meeting at in the interval, which was most convenient. Well, there is't one in the lobby, you see. There's nowhere to fit it, frankly. I found my own seat, the ushers being otherwise engaged - not hard, it was at the end of the back row. Plenty of space for my stuff then, and good legroom to the side. And although they'd been quite careful to let me know that my view was restricted (by a slim pillar), why, it was hardly an inconvenience at all:



Now, this has got great reviews - and apparently the house was sold out (I can believe it). The stage - as someone remarked afterwards - is extremely minimalist, especially for this venue. Bare white, with occasional projections - chairs, ropes, occasional small props, that's all. It does make perfect sense for the scene changes.

The story concerns a 13-year-old boy who's going through more than his fair share of personal trauma. Not only does he have the regular ordeal of school and bullying - the lad's mother, with whom he lives, has cancer, his father lives in the States and hardly sees them, and he can't abide his granny, whom he finds patronising and strict. Every night, at the same time, he has this weird nightmare conversation with the yew tree in the garden. Or.. is it a nightmare? In due course, the tree comes to life, and promises him three stories - in return for which, he will demand a fourth from the boy himself. The boy will have to tell the truth.

This isn't the kind of thing I'd honestly have booked, if it hadn't been for the group - but gee, it's fantastic! The plot unfolds so sensitively - a real tearjerker at the end - and of course, I'm a sucker for storytelling anyway, making this ideal for me! Also notable is the terrific soundtrack, played by a band perched above the stage. And you just won't believe how inventive they get with the ropes - I particularly liked how they use them to represent the tree, quite effectively. It's a completely charming and quite moving production - I can see where all those good reviews come from. Recommended - running till the 25th of next month. Lots of kids there tonight, which was nice to see - although perhaps the subject matter is a bit dark for smallies, and apparently some did get quite upset; the guidelines say it's suitable for ages 10+.

Afterwards, some of us repaired to the basement bar, and had a drink and a lovely chat - when we could hear each other, above the hubbub! And on a Monday night, yet.. Very decent house white too, I must say. And handily, Tesco was still open for me to buy dinner on the way home.

Tomorrow, nothing appealed on Meetup, so I'm back with my £3.60 club. Who, funnily enough, are only charging £2.40 (I guess they've noticed they have competition in the cheap ticket market) to go see a standup show by Garrett Millerick at 2 Northdown. Nice n close, goodee!

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (natch) for the Amy Winehouse Walk. A short one, this - and unfortunately, as before, clashing with the footie. A small turnout is expected, but I'm sure we'll have fun.

On Thursday, back with UITCS for Immaculate Correction, at the King's Head. Ages since I've been there - and it sounds like fun.

On Friday, Walking in London is taking me on a walking tour of The Secret History of Magic, Witchcraft & the Occult. Starting outside St. Paul's, of all places. Mmm yes, had my eye on this for a while. And being Funzing, the code crazy_fun will score you a 10% discount.

And on Saturday, why, I was spoiled for choice! UITCS alone has three events - I finally plumped for the first, chronologically: so we're off to see Machinal, at the Almeida. Always dependably good drama there - and again, close to me. And, it being Bastille Day, we're off to La Petite Auberge beforehand for lunch / brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment