Thursday 12 July 2018

Play: Immaculate Correction

Tonight, after a late, lazy start, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Immaculate Correction, at the King's Head. Ages since I'd been there - and it sounded like fun. My God, it's been a muggy day though - predicted rain never materialised, but clouds hung heavily over the city, and it was hot..

I could walk to this, and did - good exercise, with a slight uphill slope most of the way. I did leave a bit late though, as I finally got around to booking stuff for next week and was on a roll! I made it in time for the show, but not really in time to have a drink. Quickly spotted the group, at a table over the side, and after I'd picked up my ticket at the box office, I joined them. Tickets are laminated, which is a sure sign that you're to give them back.. and we just had time for a brief chat, before they yelled at the bar that the house was now open! so we meandered back over there, and give them back we did.

Unassigned seating - we took the second row, and happily no-one sat in front of us (well, except in front of Colin). Indeed, as Clive, the organiser, remarked, the three Cs were sitting in a row! We were even in alphabetical order! except Colin.. unfortunately, this is straight through, and the bench seating isn't the most comfortable. Couple that with the heat, and you have something of an unpleasant experience - at least there were fans working at the side, and it wasn't the sauna that we endured last week, at Southwark Playhouse!

This is part of the theatre's Playmill schedule for new British writers, which runs until the 21st. And this play is the story of a young girl in Glasgow, navigating the treacherous waters of her teenage years, dealing with Catholic school, boys, dreams of stardom, and her single mum - who claims that she was the product of an immaculate conception!

A statue of the Madonna overlooks proceedings, and props are largely restricted to three chairs - well, there are only three cast members - and a few small things dragged out of bags that are hidden under the table at the back. But the acting is absolutely spot-on! The central character and narrator, onstage in every scene, is terrific as the naive youngster, whose information about life is mostly gleaned from tv and her best friend, cossetted as she is by the highly religious education she's getting. The others are just there as foils to her story, but play a blinder, one acting, in turns, as her mother (an overgrown teenager herself), a prissy teacher at the school, and a fellow student in her imaginary school girl-group!

It had the ring of truth, for me - something of a rant about the perils of growing up. Mind you, I can't say my school experience was like that - and Clive thought the same. Still, apparently not everyone's had such a sheltered upbringing! Finishes tomorrow - you could do worse. It deals with plenty of issues, but in such an entertaining way that you'll be absolutely charmed. Recommended. Oh, and bring change - they have a collection on the way out.

When we exited (thankfully), the bar was full - outside, the nearest we could see was Slim Jim's Liquor Store, so we ended up there for one. Where the decor was a mixture of Irish memorabilia and, eh, something opposite to a Catholic school?


Nice cool breeze on the way home, thank goodness - which was downhill! Tomorrow (Friday 13th, woo!), Walking in London is taking me on a walking tour of The Secret History of Magic, Witchcraft & the Occult. Starting outside St. Paul's, of all places. Mmm yes, had my eye on this for a while. And being Funzing, the code crazy_fun will score you a 10% discount.

On Saturday, why, I was spoiled for choice! UITCS alone has three events - I finally plumped for the first, chronologically: so we're off to see Machinal, at the Almeida. Always dependably good drama there - and again, close to me. And, it being Bastille Day, we're off to La Petite Auberge beforehand for lunch / brunch!

On Sunday, well, my £3.60 club finally got tickets to Circa's Peepshow, the new cabaret circus act at Udderbelly! Awesome, another one I had my eye on - have seen cheap tickets for this already. This was much better than the other things advertised for that day - and with a regular price of £21.50 (or £26.50, at this short notice), a bargain, it has to be said - the regular price is quite high for a show that only lasts an hour.

On Monday, I'm with Anthony's Cultural Events & Walking Activities group, to see The Tempest at the free Outdoor Theatre in Westferry Circus. Seating on the grass, in the middle of a roundabout, it seems. Apparently they provide mats. Well, that should be interesting! Set in outer space, this one, it seems.

Speaking of which, on Tuesday I'm with London Science Events for a talk on Moon, Mars and Beyond at The Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there'll be an astronaut there, and - something I haven't heard of before - if you want his autograph, it'll cost you £20! (discount prices for members of the Institution). I think I can live without.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (but of course!) for The Belgravia Walk.

And next Thursday, I RSVPed with North London Friends, for the first time in ages, for End of Term Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks. And then, wouldn't you know it, Ryanair announced another pilots' strike - for the next day, when I was to go back to Ireland for the weekend! Nothing about it on their website, of course - and you know, if it affects me, I'll just find out at the last possible minute. Like all of those delayed flights that they only email you about - with the option to cancel or reschedule - when they're already in the air! (when it's actually legally too late to cancel, even if you don't go). I know from personal experience how hard it is to get last-minute flights - and how expensive. So, for safety's sake, I'm now flying the night before.. damnit, I'll never get to that Blues bar! And this group will think I'm avoiding them..

No comments:

Post a Comment