Friday 13 July 2018

Walk: The Secret History of Magic, Witchcraft & the Occult

Tonight (Friday 13th, woo!), Walking in London took me on a walking tour of The Secret History of Magic, Witchcraft & the Occult. Starting outside St. Paul's, of all places. Mmm yes, had my eye on this for a while. And being Funzing, the code crazy_fun will score you a 10% discount.

So, off I meandered - had to take the bus, whereas I could've walked from the last place. Never mind. I arrived about five minutes early.. and as promised, he was on the steps, and already had a crowd around him. Oh hell though, he was nearly at the top of the steps! And me with a step phobia, and no handrails through the middle. Well, I managed to get up to them.. and not to fall back down the steps.. and I spent the whole time that he was telling us how this used to be a temple of Diana worrying about how I was to get down again! Well, I managed as far as the middle - and mercifully he descended the lower level at the side, so I had the handrail and was ok.

We made our way around that big hole they've dug in the road - the one that causes all the bus diversions. About six of us, he had - there were another couple of people that hadn't shown by the time we left. And as expected, we covered the same ground as some other walks, and heard some of the same tales. But yay, we heard some things that were new to me - such as how black Madonnas originate from Isis-worship, which was gaining a foothold in overtly masculine Christian Europe before they started to feminise it! Or the origin of the "shaggy dog" story..

Now, it hadn't been forecast to rain at all. But an ominous, black cloud lowered over St. Paul's as I arrived, and a flipping thunderstorm had started by the time we set off! I've seen worse rain showers associated with thunderstorms, but still.. Our guide was good enough to extend his umbrella over me, and stop under cover where possible - still, we were glad of a stop-off in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese. And it was here that our guide really came into his own! It isn't the best walk I've been on - he hasn't actually been doing it that long. However, he is an absolute fount of knowledge, and the most can be gleaned from this trip by scratching the surface and getting him to talk around his subject! Before we left, we paid a trip to the haunted, 13th Century cellars.


Around to Wardrobe Place, St. Bride's Church, and Dr. Johnson's House - places I've been before. Apart from some who needed to get home, we repaired after to The Edgar Wallace - where he told us lots about the current state of witchcraft and magic(k). Truly, a knowledgeable chap in these fields - and I do recommend the walk, if you're into such stuff.


And true to form, it'd stopped raining by the time we went home! Tomorrow, why, I was spoiled for choice! Up in the Cheap Seats alone has three events - I finally plumped for the first, chronologically: so we're off to see Machinal, at the Almeida. Always dependably good drama there - and again, close to me. And, it being Bastille Day, we're off to La Petite Auberge beforehand for lunch / brunch! Better get to bed.

On Sunday, well, my £3.60 club finally got tickets to Circa's Peepshow, the new cabaret circus act at Udderbelly! Awesome, another one I had my eye on - have seen cheap tickets for this already. This was much better than the other things advertised for that day - and with a regular price of £21.50 (or £26.50, at this short notice), a bargain, it has to be said - the regular price is quite high for a show that only lasts an hour.

On Monday, I'm with Anthony's Cultural Events & Walking Activities group, to see The Tempest at the free Outdoor Theatre in Westferry Circus. Seating on the grass, in the middle of a roundabout, it seems. Apparently they provide mats. Well, that should be interesting! Just as well my evening meeting has been cancelled - this is an early start. Set in outer space, this one, it seems.

Speaking of which, on Tuesday I'm with London Science Events for a talk on Moon, Mars and Beyond at The Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there'll be an astronaut there, and - something I haven't heard of before - if you want his autograph, it'll cost you £20! (discount prices for members of the Institution). I think I can live without.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (but of course!) for The Belgravia Walk.

And on Thursday, I RSVPed with North London Friends, for the first time in ages, for End of Term Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks. And then, wouldn't you know it, Ryanair announced another pilots' strike - for the next day, when I was to go back to Ireland for the weekend! Nothing about it on their website, of course - and you know, if it affects me, I'll just find out at the last possible minute. Like all of those delayed flights that they only email you about - with the option to cancel or reschedule - when they're already in the air! (when it's actually legally too late to cancel, even if you don't go). I know from personal experience how hard it is to get last-minute flights - and how expensive. So, for safety's sake, I'm now flying on Thursday.. damnit, I'll never get to that Blues bar! And this group will think I'm avoiding them..

No comments:

Post a Comment