Monday 2 July 2018

Play: Imperium I - Conspirator

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..! The same group was going to the double-bill last Saturday, but I'd already booked this. Only one other person going - I had a late meeting, so said I'd let her know when I was on the way.



Well, it would be this evening that the guy at the other end of the call was full of ideas. So, it was 6:15 by the time the meeting finished - I took the Tube, to be as quick as possible, since she'd said she'd be there from 6:30. Predictably crowded, it was also unusually hot - it's ages since I've taken it (thank goodness). Mercifully, when I changed trains, it was onto an almost empty train, and I got a seat straight away! which was for most of the journey.

At Piccadilly Circus, I messaged to tell her where I was, and discovered that she'd gone in - she arranged to meet me at the interval. (Had we still had an office locally, I'd have had no problem making it in time.) I made it to the theatre at about 6:50, queued for the bag check (they're handing out airline-style security tags now, to show you've been checked!), and collected my ticket - no-one asked for my postcode, for once, although I'd made sure to remember the correct one, now that I've moved again. And I discovered I'd been upgraded! Seems they closed off the Grand Circle (the top level), at least for tonight - both of us attending from that group had been moved down to the Dress Circle. I had to guess which side of the foyer to enter from - but the view is very nice. It'd want to be, for the £72 they're charging for this seat for Wednesday (I paid £10!!). Goes to show, cheap seats are worth it..


Keep an eye on that sphere, suspended above the stage - projections pertinent to the scene are displayed on it, and lend a lot to the setting. The stage doesn't change much from what you see here, apart from a section at the centre of the steps that projects to form a dais, and that rectangular bit of the stage floor, which includes a platform that can be raised or lowered.

These plays are based on a Robert Harris trilogy, and indeed, read a bit more modern than you would expect from the original words of a contemporary inhabitant of Rome. There are two intervals - suitable for a 3.5 hour play! Up to the first interval, to be honest, I found it a bit wordy - I mean, considering the overall length, I was wondering whether all this verbiage was worth it.

I was to be proved wrong with the later acts, which ramp up the action to extremes! It's a bum-numbing length, but it is worth sticking with it, as we learn how - in politics, at least - there is nothing new under the sun. I adored seeing a new take on familiar names - as well as Cicero, we get a young Mark Antony, and (oh, so prominently) an ambitious young Gaius Julius Caesar. Fascinating to see a side of them that we never usually do. Hilarious by turns. And chilling to see how the clever Cicero is boxed into a corner, by politicians even wilier than he is.

Recommended - I must see about booking the second part. Runs till the 8th of September. It was a good, if long night - and good to catch up with my companion, whom I hadn't seen in ages. And on the way home, I was glad I knew of a 24-hour food shop.

Tomorrow, it's either watch the England match (just because I have a stake, having drawn them in the office sweepstakes) or a film - for which the candidate is A Cambodian Spring, a documentary about activists in Cambodia. Regent Street Cinema only.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks, for the postponed Sculpture in the City walk. More people signed up for this one than last, which is nice.

I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, which is bookended by two UITCS events! Both booked very recently too, I might add. Thursday is Infinite Joy, at Southwark Playhouse - could hardly say no to that venue!

And next Monday, I'm off with them to A Monster Calls, at the Old Vic.

No comments:

Post a Comment