Friday 29 June 2018

Walk: Soho Scene & Concert: Alicja Smietana

The California boss was in the office this week - not much interest in hanging out with us, mind. I kept Wednesday and Thursday free, just in case - the alternative for Wednesday was London Literary Walks, with Soho Scene. However, I just checked that day and lo, the organiser had to work late, and postponed it to yesterday.

As usual, it started late enough that I got to stay quite late in the office, which is always a good look. Of course, that meant I got into a chat with the London boss - so I left a little later than intended, but knew I was in good time to catch the organiser in the Montagu Pyke - he always stays for half an hour in the pub beforehand, where his walkers can find him. Annoyingly, my bus was terminating before where I needed to get to (so common) - handily, another of the same number was coming right behind, and going the whole way. And lo, when I entered the pub, there he was on the left, just in from the main door.. despite the massive crowds watching the England v Belgium match, I'd had a feeling he wouldn't be at all hard to find.

And there we sat, the two of us, till it was time to leave. The crowds were too massive for me to consider getting a drink, so we occupied ourselves with chatting and looking - in vain - for the newcomers to the group. They never showed - nor did a longtime member, who mind  you has a habit of doing that. Nary a message from any of them - what prevented them from politely informing us that they wouldn't be there, as others had done in advance of the walk, I don't know, but it's very bad form to leave us waiting for people that never showed.

Anyway, after fully two groups of people had asked me to take their photo - he remarked that I must have that sort of face - off we went. All of two of us. What the hey, as I told him later, this was the third time that had happened to me! and each time it's been just fine. The Montagu Pyke itself was our first point of interest - why, it's been a nightspot since the 18th century!

After that, the famous-name dropping came thick and fast. London's first proper French restaurant, L' Escargot, was on the menu:


(More photos here.) We moseyed around Soho Square, and past so many places that retain only a hint of their film-making past:


We found Goths:


and more music legends that you can shake a stick at:




And we finished off with a nod to fashion:


So many more famous names, so many stories. All the things that happened here - and looking around, you could still see the same vibrancy that always powered it. I kept sighing - had to reassure my companion that it was nostalgia for when I lived within walking distance of here. Truly, nowhere compares with it. May it never lose that spark.

Afterwards, too late to drink, and again, too late to blog. After all, I was working from home so I could be in the old place in time for the removal guy. As it turns out, I actually wasn't - he bloody rang me as soon as I arrived (I'd just turned on my phone at that point, it needed charging - and discovered he'd rung me half an hour earlier as well). He was around the corner, and could he come now? Er, ok.. cue a frantic day of packing and moving. Fair play to him though, in this heat as well - and a way better price than I got last time! No wonder he's so busy, with that service.

Tonight, I booked with the London Jazz Meetup, for only the second time ever! A Polish one, this - Alicja Smietana is a violinist who combines classical and jazz, which to me sounded like the best thing happening tonight. It was in POSK Theatre, which is associated with the thriving local Polish community - I must have passed it when I was living out that way, I figured.

Well, I set out in plenty of time - would you believe, although I used to be within walking distance of that place, it's over seven miles from where I am now! The only option was to catch a bus to the District Line, and take that for most of the way. I have to say, the District Line was a real pleasure - roomier and airier than most other lines. I got off at Ravenscourt Park - and when I figured my way out of there, it was only a hop, skip and jump to POSK. And yes, I've passed it dozens of times! Never been in before, though.

Finding the bar where we were to meet was a no-brainer. It's just upstairs. Unfortunately, a private party was in progress, and two people in succession saw me looking lost, and thought I was with them but no-one had welcomed me. Bless. I should have stayed with them really, as there was no sign of the group organiser. I left a number of messages on the Meetup page, but she literally only now got back to me, saying how she had looked around but couldn't see me. Feck that, what was she looking for..? I was standing quite obviously on my own, I thought..

When it came time to go in, I presented my Eventbrite ticket on my phone (could just have bought a ticket on the night and saved the booking fee, it wasn't sold out). Only to be told - as were those with tickets they'd printed from the internet - that we had to go down to reception and get another ticket! See, the online tickets had no blasted seat numbers.. Reception told me to go to the box office, although they were sure I needed the jazz club in the basement. At least the organiser did that much for us - she had specifically mentioned that that wasn't the one. And the guy at the box office acted as though he'd never before seen an online ticket, and what was this strange beast..?! At least the guy in front of me had the same issue, so I got it explained for me, I just had to say I had the same as him. Except he'd had a printed ticket - the box office guy was terribly upset that I didn't have one for him to keep as a souvenir. Never mind, he gave me a ticket anyway. With a seat number.

..which, typically, was behind a tall guy. And as for being worried about missing the start - hah! Advertised to start at 8, it finally got underway at 20 past. She had a large bunch of musicians behind her, dressed in black, as typically for a classical orchestra - less typical was the black jumpsuit she was wearing, although I believe they're in fashion.

This is a very talented young lady, that much is obvious. She can play, she can compose, she can rearrange - seems her late father was a famous composer, and lately some of his friends asked her to rearrange a medley of his work in a classical fashion. Now, I've always said I like most kinds of music - however, I'm afraid there will always be some I prefer to others, and predictably, the classical medley was my favourite bit of the performance. My least favourite bit.. was all of the rest. Oh dear. I cringed whenever anyone went into a solo, which of course, being jazz, they were prone to doing - and most particularly when the pianist started to squawk. Seriously, I hated it, by and large - it didn't help that there was no aircon - I don't blame the lady in front of me, fanning herself.

I was so relieved when the interval came. I would've legged it, except that then they announced there was free wine! So I got that - half a plastic cup, thanks, although I suspect you could get refills - and then I legged it. What a relief! Only glitch in the plan was the delay at Earl's Court - which was quickly followed by a 15-minute delay in a tunnel just past Earl's Court. "Red signals." Gee, that's one thing I don't miss about living that side of town!

Tomorrow, I don't know whether I missed it before or just didn't consider it, but ultimately I booked the Dark Side of Docklands Street Theatre Pub Tour - courtesy of Walking in London. Usual 10% discount codes apply. In the evening, so I can get the keys to my old place handed back earlier - have to get them back by 1pm. Today, however, the walk was cancelled.. so I thought "film". Looking at what was on tomorrow, top of the list was an Indian space adventure film - Tik Tik Tik. However, I wasn't quite sure of its focus after viewing the trailer - so I checked for another on YouTube, and what did I discover but the film itself, available online! So I don't have to bother with that, then. Next up was The Bromley Boys - as that's about soccer, it got eliminated fairly quickly.

Next up.. ooh, Hereditary! It's slipped a bit, but still highly rated - and I'm dying to see it. Billed as this generation's The Exorcist, in it Toni Collette plays a woman whose mother passes away, only to have her little daughter start to exhibit some very odd traits. Very spooky traits. They do say it's a masterpiece of psychological horror. So I've booked, it being cheaper to book in Vue. Back in Vue Islington, although it's also in Rich Mix, which is now slightly closer to me - but it isn't showing there tomorrow. I'm not bothering with the midnight showing, mind - I think it'll be quite spooky enough a bit earlier!

On Sunday, I decided to sign up for a new walk by Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - they were off the radar for ages! However, the discount code for the Bleeding Hearts & Body Parts walk does't seem to be working - I've commented as much, we'll see what happens. If I can't get the discount, I'll pay on the day and avoid the booking fee. Now, two others have commented that they can't use the code either. Dunno what happened to this guide - she used to be on the ball with her group!

And on Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..! I see the same group is going to the double-bill tomorrow - ah well, I've booked this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment