Tuesday 19 June 2018

Virtual Reality: Whist

Our boss is coming to London - was supposed to be this week. But then he pinged us, week before last, to say it'll actually be next week he's here. Cue me booking things frantically for the week that was now free - happily, I did well. Tonight, something very interesting - Up in the Cheap Seats was off to Whist, at Sadler's Wells. Now, this turned out to be an immersive, VR experience! Definitely different.

I stayed later than intended at the office - got something finished, which is always satisfying. Then headed out to walk to Sadler's Wells, setting a comfortable but brisk pace that I noted I probably couldn't have managed, the last time I tried, what with my chest infection. Arrived a bit after when the organiser had said he'd be there - but in plenty of time for the show; they have several per night, but most had sold out for tonight. We were booked in for 8pm, which he noted hadn't sold out - perhaps because of the football. Anyway, what do you know - as I was heading to the entrance, I ran into Henning from the London European Club (LEC)! I don't see it on their page, but he seemed to have a group of LEC members at the self-same thing. Well now, it's a small world. As for Up in the Cheap Seats, there were only the two of us.. so we kind of merged.

Inside, there's a place to leave your coats and bags - believe me, you don't want the hassle of carrying them. Downstairs, on the stage area, the floor is bare apart from some very odd-looking props - we were encouraged to have a nosey at them before gathering for a briefing. Where we were given basic instructions on how to use the headsets, on how to work our way around the props, on what to do if something went wrong. We were also encouraged to remove our glasses - I remarked afterwards that the place looked like an optician's, with the row of spectacles left there! And then they applied the headset - a Samsung Gear again, like my other VR experience, I see - plonked on a set of headphones, and we were off.

Ooh, I love VR. After a set of instructions, a shape appears on screen, which represents one of the props in the room, which you go find; although you can see the humans, past the representation of the shape, we were advised to lift the headset while walking between props - it's more comfortable. When the shape on screen matches with one of the props, the film starts.

Seriously weird stuff. Three actors - at first - enact a most unusual set of scenarios, in a large, run-down old house. The characters persist from film to film - and you're encouraged to make sure to look around you, as action could be happening anywhere. Including behind you. They say there are 76 possible permutations - which seem to be based on how you interact with the film, i.e. where you look! Freaky.. as is the content of the film, which is surreal, dark, and most definitely adult in parts. Not to mention that, in this VR, you appear to be floating, and if you look down you will not see your feet. This is fine in outer space - not so much when you're floating above the centrepiece of a dinner table! For some, you will definitely need to sit down - this is quite permitted.

I absolutely adored it. I was one of the first out - does that mean I looked around more in the film? At the end, you get a number, which you note on a card and check afterwards on the web address they give you - I didn't really agree with my analysis, but what the hey, this is based on Freudian analysis, and I'm Irish - and he did say that we're the one nation that can't be psychoanalysed! So now. After a convivial chat afterwards, during which we mostly concluded that we were baffled, we wended our ways home. Great to see Alisdair from Up in the Cheap Seats again, after so long - and a lovely surprise to see the others! A great night out. I'll definitely be recommending this in the office - runs till Saturday, before they head off around the world, returning to Waterman's in November. Only the 6pm showing left with tickets tomorrow - otherwise, good availability on Saturday.

Tomorrow, London Literary Walks is off on Pop the Weasel, and I'm delighted to be able to accompany them. Local again, I see. Yet another attendee now that Mary's signed up, yay!

On Thursday, back to Sands Films for Fete de la Musique - Belcirque is performing, and they do sound quirky. LEC, TunedIn LondonThen it's Ireland again at the weekend.

On Monday, I'm indulging myself with a premium seat to see Andrew Scott perform the one-man show, Seawall, written especially for him. It's at the Old Vic, two weeks only.

Next Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells. It's the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remember good things about them from before. As I say, the boss is now in the office that week - well, he'll just have to manage without me, those two nights. I'm keeping the rest of the week, and the weekend, free, just in case. Hey, I do have to move that week as well, so could probably do with the time! Signed the contract today, hallelujah! Can't wait.

And on the 2nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..!


No comments:

Post a Comment