Monday 18 June 2018

Storytelling: Crow. Blood. Snow.

Tonight, I headed to storytelling by Crick Crack again, finally.. I hadn't been able to make any of their more recent ones. It was in Soho Theatre, and it was Sally Pomme Clayton, with Crow. Blood. Snow. Oh my God, it'd been ages. Naturally, you'd never know from their Meetup group that it was happening at all - have they given up on Meetup? Our boss was supposed to be in London this week, so I decided to leave the rest of the week free, for now. But this was something I wasn't going to miss, which was booked months ago.

I pushed my timing a little, knowing I could get there quickly - I had plenty to do in the office. Still, I was a little worried about having time to buy something to suck on beforehand - but a niggling cough had begun over the afternoon, and I didn't want to be caught short. Happily, my bus came earlier than Google Maps predicted, and I was dropped in town in good time, entertained by an Australian woman near me who was having an inane-sounding argument with her phone company (O2) about the fact that she'd just taken out a second account, when all she wanted was an upgrade to her existing one.. Between her not realising she'd done that, and them unable to discuss her account details either instore or on the phone, I don't know who sounded more ridiculous..

Google Maps had got the location of the stop wrong - I was right at the top of Dean Street, and it took me no time at all to get to the theatre. I was 10 minutes early, leaving me with plenty of time to gasp my way upstairs - allowed, I think, since it's on the third floor (fourth floor - American). Ben Haggarty, who co-founded the club with Sally Pomme Clayton, was sat outside as I showed my ticket and went in. Unfortunately, I was too late to get to the front - the house did fill up, as usual, within the next few minutes.


A stuffed crow sat on a chair that had a few bits and pieces on it, ready to make music. Black, red, white was to underlie the evening's story - I've heard so much about Crow that I worried that I'd already seen this. But no, it was her own invention, although I must have heard most of it before, at one time or another.

Crow brings creation, destruction, and redemption, and her story wove its way in and around itself, diving in different directions but always returning to the start - if you could remember where that was. Irish and British mythology featured heavily - it was the son of an Irish king that went to look for a girl who was black and red and white. And his uncle, Bran, ended up in the foundations of the Tower of London! (Well, his head did.) Bran is Welsh for Crow, which is supposed to be the origin of the Tower's ravens, who will not leave their master..

It was an excellent performance, delivered by the woman in black, with a black feather headdress and thick, black eye makeup. And it was so good to see them in action again! Of course, I'd been right to bring sweets - the blasted cough raised its ugly head about 2/3 through! I'm so sick of being sick.. Afterwards, Ben informed us that, sadly, that was it for London for the summer - they're off around the country to do festivals (details on the website). Mind you, the woman beside me couldn't get out fast enough - she'd been brought by her companion, and I don't think she enjoyed it. Well, it's not for everyone.

And off I schlepped into the night - went down to Shaftesbury Avenue to catch a bus, only to discover - from the notice on the bus stop - that the road was closed this evening to buses! So I needs must walk up to New Oxford Street to catch my bus. Turned out they were cleaning the road at Cambridge Circus.. I passed our old office on the way:


Seems they're no longer demolishing it, but have found another use for it..

On New Oxford Street, I was told to go to Stop Y - which was closed! Muttering to myself, I carried on - only to have one of my buses pull in just as I passed the next stop, which it wasn't supposed to stop at at all. Weird. Just plain weird. Anyway, going that way meant I got to the Co-Op before it closed.

Our boss pinged us, week before last, to say it'll actually be next week he's here. Cue me booking things frantically for the week that was now free - happily, I did well. Tomorrow, something very interesting - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to Whist, at Sadler's Wells. Now, turns out that this is an immersive, VR experience! Definitely different.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is off on Pop the Weasel, and I'm delighted to be able to accompany them. Local again, I see. Yet another attendee now that Mary's signed up, yay!

On Thursday, back to Sands Films for Fete de la Musique - Belcirque is performing, and they do sound quirky. London European ClubTunedIn LondonThen it's Ireland again at the weekend.

Next Monday, I'm indulging myself with a premium seat to see Andrew Scott perform the one-man show, Seawall, written especially for him. It's at the Old Vic, two weeks only.

On the 26th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells. It's the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remember good things about them from before. As I say, the boss is now in the office that week - well, he'll just have to manage without me, those two nights. I'm keeping the rest of the week, and the weekend, free, just in case. Hey, I do have to move that week as well, so could probably do with the time! Just waiting on the contract now, which I have to sign before I can pick up the keys.

And on the 2nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..!

No comments:

Post a Comment