Thursday 14 June 2018

Walk: A Circus School and Shakespeare's Dark Lady

Last night, London Literary Walks took us to A Circus School and Shakespeare's Dark Lady. And it'd warmed up a bit. Handily, they were meeting in the Old Fountain - not that I was honestly familiar with it, but would you believe, as you enter my office building, if you happen to look to the right, it's at the end of the path..! So, not a terribly long journey then.

We were to meet at 8:30 - I moseyed down there at 8:10, and what with having to come downstairs n all, it took me until 8:15 to get there. Sure enough, our guide was there early, and so I got myself a drink and joined him. Nice place - I haven't been in here before, and don't actually know anyone from the office who has. Apparently, they have a wonderful choice of beers.

We were joined by Mary, and had a long chat. The Man with the Hat popped up in conversation again.. truly, he'll never be forgotten, where two or more of his followers gather together.. After a fruitless wait for the final person - who never did say she wasn't coming - we set off around the area, which I hadn't really explored much.



More photos here. It might be a concrete jungle, but they do have some terrific architecture. And, just one street away from where I'm moving to, it turned quite suburban..!



We did get to the circus school - unfortunately, they were on the point of closing, so we didn't see anything! However, apparently when they're open, you can go peek through a window and see people rehearsing. We did find out that circus acts developed from real-life skills.. for example, sailors tightrope-ealking between masts on a ship! And apparently, the modern circus originated in London. You can certainly still see wonderful examples here..

As we meandered through hipster central, it occurred to me that this would be a great East London base for my friends, who are planning to come over at some stage this year for a weekend. Nice one, Stephen!

I don't have any photos associated with Shakespeare's Dark Lady, but it's an intriguing theory - who can the lady have been, who inspired many of his sonnets? Someone with an Italian connection perhaps? He certainly referenced Italy many times in his plays.

When we hit Rivington Street, I thought the name was familiar - sure enough, that's where they keep The Lighthouse! As I told my companions, I've been to a few Funzing talks here.. terrible venue for it though, with a live music stage right underneath the room where the talks are held. I never knew it used to be a famous comedy venue..


Not finished yet, on what was one of our longer walks - we ended up at the actual original theatre where Shakespeare worked, north of the river! Known as The Theatre, because quite simply theatre wasn't a common phenomenon yet, it was built by James Burbage, and is thought to be the first building built in London specifically to stage theatrical productions! After a dispute with the landlord, it was dismantled, and its materials used in the construction of the Globe, to the south. Anyway, it was the venue where Romeo and Juliet was first staged! Nothing there now, as he said, but a mural:



We headed for the Water Poet at the end - unfortunately we were a bit too late, but as I peeked in the window, I realised that yes, of course I have been there before! It's over a year ago, and I'd forgotten the name, but I was there for a Pint of Science talk. Never mind, we wended our ways home - we were near Liverpool Street now, and not only did I know how to get home from there, but from my recent experiences, I also knew of a 24-hour Tesco! So I got to stave off starvation - and wouldn't you know it, I also just perfectly made the bus home! Too late to blog though - as I say, this was a long one. But one of the best!!

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats - at the Bridge Theatre this time, for My Name is Lucy Barton, starring Laura Linney. I got the very last £15 seat!

Tomorrow, would you credit it, I'm back with London Dramatic Arts! to see Monogamy, at the Park Theatre. Well, it sounds interesting - and they've sold their allocation for this showing, so we're free to buy our own (gee). My good God, it's August since I was last with them..

On Saturday, Funzing is advertising an ice skating display in aid of the victims of Grenfell. Via Funzing UK. The usual 10% discount applies.

On Sunday, Let's Do This is headed to the World Illustration Awards exhibition at Somerset House.

On Monday, I'm headed to storytelling by Crick Crack again, finally.. I haven't been able to make any of their more recent ones. It's in Soho Theatre, and it's Sally Pomme Clayton, with Crow. Blood. Snow. Oh my God, it's been ages. Naturally, you'd never know from their Meetup group that it's happening at all. Our boss was supposed to be in London that week, so I decided to leave the rest of the week free, for now.

Then he pinged us, last week, to say it'll actually be the week after. Cue me booking things frantically for the week that was now free - happily, I did well. On Tuesday, something very interesting - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to Whist, at Sadler's Wells. Now, turns out that this is an immersive, VR experience! Definitely different.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is off on Pop the Weasel, and I'm delighted to be able to accompany them. Local again, I see. I also see we finally have another attendee, yay!

Next Thursday, back to Sands Films for Fete de la Musique - Belcirque is performing, and they do sound quirky. Then it's Ireland again at the weekend.

On the 25th, I'm indulging myself with a premium seat to see Andrew Scott perform the one-man show, Seawall, written especially for him. It's at the Old Vic, two weeks only.

On the 26th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells. It's the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remember good things about them from before. As I say, the boss is now in the office that week - well, he'll just have to manage without me, those two nights. I'm keeping the rest of the week, and the weekend, free, just in case. Hey, I do have to move that week as well, so could probably do with the time! Just waiting on the contract now, which I have to sign before I can pick up the keys.

And on the 2nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..!


No comments:

Post a Comment