Wednesday 27 June 2018

Nederlands Dans Theater

Yesterday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), at Sadler's Wells. It was the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remembered good things about them from before. Seeing as I was in the office - which is much easier than moving house - and this one, I could walk to: I made it! In fact, I was first there - we were meeting outside the theatre, on such a lovely, sunny, warm evening. It was a popular idea - the pavement was crammed. And when it was time, in we went - two of us were up in the cheap seats, appropriately, in the second circle, and my companion there was helpful enough to show me where the lifts were. Handy to know - there are a lot of stairs here. Not that I could find them again on my own when I wanted to come down..!


Four pieces to this performance - two intervals, and a "pause", for which you're advised not to leave your seat, as it isn't a long break, although the lights come up. Evidently, some of our audience missed that info, as several made for the exits at that point - only to be shooed back again by the ushers. For the intervals, we met again downstairs. Unusually, this wasn't completely sold out - with several free seats, I moved forward in the second circle after the first interval (nice and close), and down to the stalls after the second interval - unfortunately, that final piece included some visuals, projected on a screen that hung high on the stage, which was impossible to see properly from the rear stalls, with the overhang.

So. In short, I have nothing bad to say about this show. It is beautifully danced, beautifully scored, and for the bits whose story we didn't understand, we just enjoyed watching. The first piece is Shoot the Moon.. on a revolving stage, we see three different rooms, a couple or a single person in each. The movements are frequently robotic, suggesting puppets - perhaps awkwardness, or constraint. Each room contains a door and a window, through which the inhabitants watch each other. Meaning? The human condition, perhaps.. Who cares, it was gorgeous to watch, and gorgeous to listen to.

The second piece was even more incomprehensible - Woke Up Blind starts with dancers making weird shapes and rasping at each other like - lizards? Seeming to go into spasms at times, they - kind of evolve into regular dance. So, evolution of some kind is my guess here, to a thumping soundtrack. As entertaining as everything else, though.

Probably my favourite was The Statement - by Crystal Pite, whose work I'm sure I've seen and liked before. An unusual concept in dance, it has four corporate types, in suits, gathered around a table. And the soundtrack consists of - a conversation. Something bad has happened, and senior management has sent some middle management down to question the underlings, who are adamant that they were tasked with doing - whatever. The story is kept deliberately vague, but it seems to be related to armed conflict. However, what's striking about this is the interaction between the dancers and the script - they almost bring the words to life, their mannerisms evoking the text perfectly. A stunning piece of work.

The night ends with Stop-Motion, which brings what seemed to be footage of a Victorian woman to life. A striking element of the performance is the powder they spread on the stage early in the performance, which - when they dance through it - creates some memorable visual effects.

The show runs till Friday - highly recommended. It ran too late for me to blog last night, though, what with to-ing and fro-ing with stuff from the old flat.

As I say, the boss is now in the office this week - not much interest in hanging out with us, mind. I kept today and tomorrow free, just in case - the alternative for tonight was London Literary Walks, with Soho Scene. However, I just checked today and lo, he has to work late, and has postponed it to tomorrow. London European Club is off to Even the Stones, the graduate show for the National Centre for Circus Arts. I would've been interested - but it's sold out, damn! Not fancying anything else that Meetup is offering, I'm thinking of taking tonight to move more stuff. And with our boss that disconnected, I can go on that walk tomorrow.

Our team lead informs us that the visitors aren't staying past tomorrow, so I've booked with the London Jazz Meetup, for only the second time ever, for Friday! A Polish one, this - Alicja Smietana is a violinist who combines classical and jazz, which to me sounds like the best thing happening that night. It's in POSK Theatre, which seems to be associated with the thriving local Polish community - I must have passed it when I was living out that way.

On Saturday, I don't know whether I missed it before or just didn't consider it, but now I'm off on the Dark Side of Docklands Street Theatre Pub Tour - courtesy of Walking in London. Usual 10% discount codes apply. In the evening, so I can get the keys to my old place handed back earlier - I booked the major removal for Friday, and will work from home again for that - I've sorted internet access.

On Sunday, I was thinking film, but the film listings threw up an Indian space adventure film - Tik Tik Tik - whose nearest showing is in Wandsworth, ugh. So I rethought, and tried to sign up for a new walk by Walks, Talks and Treasure Hunts - they were off the radar for ages! However, the discount code for the Bleeding Hearts & Body Parts walk does't seem to be working - I've commented as much, we'll see what happens. If I can't get the discount, I'll pay on the day and avoid the booking fee.

And on Monday, back with UITCS, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..! I see the same group is going to the double-bill on Saturday - ah well, I've booked this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment