Saturday 16 June 2018

Ice Skating Display

Today, Funzing advertised an ice skating display in aid of the victims of Grenfell. Via Funzing UK. The usual 10% discount applied.

A funny thing happened on the way to the ice rink.. Now, I know it was past 3 on a Saturday afternoon, but I needn't have been up yet. So it's just as well I was, because in comes a letting agent, trailing a potential renter, with nary a word of warning! Not straight into my room, I hasten to add.. I was in the bathroom when they arrived, and the agent checked politely before entering my room. Still, I had to apologise for the state of the place (actually, I can't do anything about that anyway until I get the keys to the new place and start moving stuff), and explain about the lightbulb that needs replacing (which I could have done). Why they didn't think to fire off an email this morning, at least, to warn me, I don't know! Never mind, she was still impressed at the size of the room - and not impressed by the unwashed plate to the side. Hah! If that bothers her, she'll have trouble in this flat.. at least I keep mine in my room!

Well, after all that excitement, I moseyed off to Tesco to get in food - for later, as it happened, because by the time I got back, it was time to head off again. Today was the first time I was headed to Alexandra Palace! Makes sense - apparently, it's the country's largest indoor ice rink. And it's quite a trek; I had to go to Finsbury Park - second day in a row - and then as far north again. Two buses, then - and as I waited for the first, it was quite a pleasant, mild day.

I was just in time for the W3 at Finsbury Park, as it happened - and gee, "Ally Pally" (as it's called) is on a hill, so I was glad of the bus to get up there. Great views:


Now, Ally Pally is so big that it has several bus stops - one for the garden centre, one for the Palm Court, one for the ice rink, others after. Naturally, I continued to the ice rink - unfortunately, the car park entrance, near the bus stop, is closed, apparently for building works, and I needs must walk back to the main entrance - no path on that side, I had to cross the road and then cross back, California-style. Oddly, the main entrance is near nothing in particular, apart from the above view.


So, I moseyed in - I'd received a email earlier, telling me to proceed through the entrance for the ice rink, and through the cafe to the ice rink proper, where people would be practicing. Gave my name at the desk, where she checked it off a list - and was prevailed upon to buy a programme, which I did. I'd got cash at Tesco. In the cafe, brunch was a packet of Munchies, which I ate before following the lead of some people around me, and heading in.

I was wise to wait, like the others - OH GOD it was freezing! Well yes, it'd have to be - it's years since I'd been in an ice rink, and I'd forgotten. They have to keep the ice from melting, after all. I noticed some of the female skaters wearing chunky socks under their tights. So I picked a seat - open seating - and shivered away merrily. As someone remarked upon arrival, "Where is everyone?" Sure enough, counting the number of people to perform, there were hardly many more than them in the audience - which is a real shame. I skipped the raffle, mind - the prizes were a bit naff.

The whole thing was organised by the London Adult Figure Skating Club - LAFSC. And it's great to see such a mixture of people on the ice - young and old, skinny and chubby, faltering and expert. There turned out to be one of the teachers sat near me, clapping everything enthusiastically - and complaining to his companion, at the interval, about the absolute beginner classes he has to teach, where some people can't even stand up on the ice! (Yep, that'd be me.) He saw this as something of a humiliation, although he accepted that someone had to do it - rubbish! When I was a lecturer, the junior lecturers were never given the more junior classes to teach - that was the job of the most senior professors, who were considered able to do it because they had a greater breadth of knowledge. He should feel flattered, methinks.

Sadly, we weren't allowed to photograph or film - photos shall appear on the LAFSC website in due course, and videos - for download by friends and family only (I'm guessing they're password-protected). But we were treated to a feast of short pieces, set to popular tunes, danced to by - as I say - performers with a varying range of skills. Some were obviously faltering - one fell, and bravely picked herself up and carried on. Others were more accomplished, and an absolute joy to watch, skimming over the ice in their sparkly costumes, spinning and gliding. Well done to them, by the way, for even being able to walk off the ice on skates - they generally had a protective guard on them when off the ice, but I'd never have managed the balance! A beautiful - if chilly - way to spend the evening, and as someone coming out behind me remarked, definitely a different thing to do!

My nose, which started to give trouble again a couple of days ago, went into full flight in the cold of the ice rink. And the strong, cold breeze outside didn't help - nor did the fact that my bus back departed while I was trying to get across the road, tricky with all the people arriving for the Haim concert. I was in a miserable, snivelling state by the time the next bus arrived, nearly 15 minutes later - and ended up with two of the good skaters sitting behind me! At Finsbury Park, the #4 would have taken me closer to home, but seeing there'd be a 14-minute wait, I hopped on a #19 instead. And that man was in a hurry to get back.. you risked your life, standing while the bus was moving, he took corners at such speed, and braked so suddenly! Never mind, it did get me home quicker - and, of course, I already had food in.

Tomorrow, Let's Do This is headed to the World Illustration Awards exhibition at Somerset House. Hopefully indoors, and warmer.

On Monday, I'm headed to storytelling by Crick Crack again, finally.. I haven't been able to make any of their more recent ones. It's in Soho Theatre, and it's Sally Pomme Clayton, with Crow. Blood. Snow. Oh my God, it's been ages. Naturally, you'd never know from their Meetup group that it's happening at all. Our boss was supposed to be in London that week, so I decided to leave the rest of the week free, for now.

Then he pinged us, last week, to say it'll actually be the week after. Cue me booking things frantically for the week that was now free - happily, I did well. On Tuesday, something very interesting - Up in the Cheap Seats is off to Whist, at Sadler's Wells. Now, turns out that this is an immersive, VR experience! Definitely different.

On Wednesday, London Literary Walks is off on Pop the Weasel, and I'm delighted to be able to accompany them. Local again, I see. Yet another attendee now that Mary's signed up, yay!

On Thursday, back to Sands Films for Fete de la Musique - Belcirque is performing, and they do sound quirky. London European ClubTunedIn LondonThen it's Ireland again at the weekend.

On the 25th, I'm indulging myself with a premium seat to see Andrew Scott perform the one-man show, Seawall, written especially for him. It's at the Old Vic, two weeks only.

On the 26th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells. It's the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remember good things about them from before. As I say, the boss is now in the office that week - well, he'll just have to manage without me, those two nights. I'm keeping the rest of the week, and the weekend, free, just in case. Hey, I do have to move that week as well, so could probably do with the time! Just waiting on the contract now, which I have to sign before I can pick up the keys.

And on the 2nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..!

No comments:

Post a Comment