Friday 22 June 2018

Rest of the week (again!)

So, my boss was scheduled to come over this week - but, given that the VP is coming next week, he decided to accompany him then. Cue much frantic booking on my part for this week! Happily, I came up with some good stuff. On Wednesday, London Literary Walks was off on Pop the Weasel, and I was delighted to be able to accompany them. Local again, I see. Yet another attendee once Mary signed up, yay!

It was all of a five-minute walk to The Eagle - so I worked nice and late again. When I got there, a pub quiz was in progress - I eased my way around it to find my companions at a table at the back, quiz papers in hand, although it turned out they'd arrived late, and weren't officially participating. And yes, there were only the three of us - again! So we sat and attempted to answer what we could - not easy, the questions were quite devious. We did get a few. Meantime, we were being stared at by the most adorable dog:



More photos here. Well, when the quiz ended, and we tore ourselves away from doggie, we started our walk, as generally happens, talking about the pub itself. For instance, there's a sign on the side, with apparently the original words to Pop Goes the Weasel! (Hence the name of the walk:)



As usual, we couldn't get away from football:



Anyway, off we went, around my neighbourhood - and what would I do, without this guide to show me what's on my very doorstep! For instance, I didn't know that Bruce Springsteen recorded in St. Luke's, which I pass most days.. we heard plenty about the outside, although I've been inside for a few concerts, and can tell you it's just a shell really, not worth it for sightseeing. Good music venue, though!

We saw a plaque to someone remembered by someone other than English heritage.. and passed Wesley's Chapel, hearing about Methodists. But possibly the most appropriate thing we saw that night - for tech central - was the only statue I've ever heard of that depicts a smartphone:



Maybe he was looking for the Coronation ley Line.. We finished earlier than last time.. so we managed to fit one in at the ever-excellent Astronomer. And, being near Liverpool Street, I got to the 24-hour Tesco again! (when I could find it). In the end, I had spectacular luck with my bus timings - my bus came to the stop just as I did. But it still ran too late to blog.

Yesterday had a surfeit of meetings - no blogging during the day, either. In the evening, I was back to Sands Films for FĂȘte de la Musique - Belcirque was performing, and they did sound quirky. London European ClubTunedIn London.

I left the office a bit later than intended.. as usual. I see they've corrected the stop details for the #43! On the way to the stop, I had an abortive dash to the Co-Op (dodging a pavement skateboard display, of all things) - and they didn't have what I wanted, after all. So was I ever vexed to see a #43 leave just as I finally approached! Happily, there was another right along. We then spent almost an hour stuck in traffic.. and when I got to London Bridge, somehow, in this complicated station, I got onto the bridge overhead Tooley Street, where I needed to be to catch my next bus! Happily, just as I found my way down, that one came as well - truly, I've been lucky with buses this week. Even got a seat, despite the large crowd that got on with me.

This turned out to be one I could have done with when my leg was bad - I was dropped just down from Rotherhithe Station. The house turned out to be open early, and I made a beeline for what is now my favourite seat - unfortunately, the comfy armchair tended to encourage the cough that's been bothering me for the past week. Happily, I still had sweets left over, which I ate more of over the course of the evening. Some group members were sat on the other side of the room - but I didn't really get a chance to chat with them beforehand, and wasn't in the mood to mingle at the interval.

Belcirque weren't long in coming on:



More photos - but mostly videos - here. The lead singer (sorry, I can't remember any names!) did most of the talking, thanking us for speaking English - their stuff is written in English and French. That ain't half the story with this quirkiest of groups. Frequently they're surreally silly - but they're also melodic, they're great singers, and their songs are memorable. And catchy - someone near me was whistling the final tune as we reluctantly, finally left. Me, I think Rita is my favourite from what was a great night - trust Eleanor to source the best material! Sadly, I'm not sure I'll be able to make any more of the series - never mind, one day.

Handily, the Nisa beside the bus stop was still open when I was leaving! Checking my bus app, I saw that my bus wasn't due for a few minutes - and so it was that I shopped, and did not starve that night, which is always good. Still too late to blog, of course, and too busy today - this is getting to be a habit! 

Now in Ireland again for the weekend. On Monday, I'm indulging myself with a premium seat to see Andrew Scott perform the one-man show, Seawall, written especially for him. It's at the Old Vic, two weeks only. Now, that wouldn't be a good time to get a cough - luckily, I got a ton of phlegm up last night, and I think I might just be beating this at last.

On Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at Sadler's Wells. It's the Nederlands Dans Theater again - I remember good things about them from before.

As I say, the boss is now in the office this upcoming week - well, he'll just have to manage without me, those two nights. I'm keeping Wednesday and Thursday free, just in case - our team lead informs us that they're not staying past Thursday though, so I've booked with the London Jazz Meetup, for only the second time ever, for Friday! A Polish one, this - Alicja Smietana is a violinist who combines classical and jazz, which to me sounds like the best thing happening that night.

Nothing as promising for next weekend, but on the 2nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, at the Gielgud Theatre for Imperium I - Conspirator. The first part of a double-bill, but viewable independently, it is told from the point of view of Cicero's secretary, as he watches how his master's work is used to bring about an end to the Roman Republic. I should probably have booked the second part at the same time - there's a discount for that - but well, my schedule is generally so packed..! I see the same group is going to the double-bill on the 30th June - ah well, I've booked this now.


No comments:

Post a Comment