Wednesday 25 July 2018

Play: Exit the King

Last night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), for Exit the King, at the National. Closer than Monday's. Unfortunately, I had an evening meeting.. and predictably, the evening meeting overran. So I galloped out of there, and for once, took the Tube to the National - only slightly quicker, but every little helps! Only three stops on the Northern Line, followed by two on the Jubilee Line - so the natural discomfort of the underground tin can didn't have much time to affect me. In the National, took the lift up to the box office, where for once they weren't asking for identification, handily - and just as I collected my ticket, the announcement came for us to take our seats, and a message from the group to say they were going in. So I missed them beforehand - never mind.

The handy thing about being in the back row is that you don't have far to walk from the door! And oh, what delicious aircon.. the ice-cold air didn't last, but it was like nectar when I came in. With the National, of course, there are no restricted views, and no restricted legroom.. make it easy to choose a cheap seat without having to worry!



Interesting stage they have set up, as you go in- those are dust sheets, and yes, that rear wall has a royal symbol something like the old Prussian eagle:
The dust sheets in front cover thrones - the big one in the middle is the King's, and as we learn, the smaller ones to each side are for the Queens. For he has two wives - Marguerite, the first, whom he tired of, and Marie, the flighty second one. Honestly, I forget his actual name, he's so flipping inconsequential - and irritating.

Anyway, this is advertised as an absurd farce. That is indeed how it starts - some daft bits, some decent laughs. It seems that the kingdom is in crisis - that wall at the back is split by an enormous crack down the middle, apparently due to a recent earthquake. The kingdom has shrunk to a size of five square miles, surrounded by an abyss, into which people and things have a habit of falling. There's pretty much nothing left, frankly. The play includes - as well as the aforementioned - a goggle-eyed servant, reminiscent of Igor in various Frankenstein films, a doctor cum astrologer, and a soldier who represents the entire army. And there's a fellow perched on top of the wall, who bangs a drum periodically.

Basically, the king is supposed to be omnipotent, and in control of things like earthquakes and the weather. He's also supposed to be immortal, but the common practice is to choose the time of one's own death - he hasn't, has been hanging on for several centuries now, and this seems to be the source of all the trouble the kingdom's been having. Or might it be Marguerite, who seems to be a witch - and is determinedly of the opinion that it's time for the King to go..

Dear God, so was I. As the King gradually becomes more feeble, and his mortality is imminent, the farce ends - the middle section of the play just drags and drags, and I nearly fell asleep several times. What on earth were they doing, making it this long? It doesn't need to be. There is a moment where everyone on stage seems to freeze, with nothing else to do.

Happily, the last scene is terrific, somewhat making up for what came before. Spoiler: it's his death scene - but it's spectacularly done, with the back wall cracking and moving aside, the stage opening into a yawning pit, across which the red carpet that leads to his throne stretches on a platform, while the throne itself recedes slowly to the back. And he has to walk along the ledge that spans the chasm, to take his seat on the throne, symbolising his death. Marvellous. I could happily have skipped the rest, though - the best I can say of it is that Marguerite has some nice, sparkly jewellery. Runs until the 6th of October, if you're interested.

Afterwards - glad to be standing after such a long, unbroken period - I took the lift down with some folks, and was down early to the lobby, where I did get to meet the folks, this time. The play had finished early, and most groups would have gone for a drink - not this one, of course. Which did at least mean that, after getting the bus back, I could spend time on my film list last night - fruitlessly, as I still wasn't interested in what was coming top. Never mind, has to be done. No time to blog, though.

Tonight, London Literary Walks again - this time it's Little Italy. Now, I've done this area before - but I bet he'll come up with something new. Starting earlier than usual, but happily just in time that I have time to breathe - and eat - after my last evening meeting - which didn't even overrun! And this is another walk that I can walk to.

Tomorrow, back with London Science Events at the Royal Institution - this time, it's Synthetic IntelligenceLast Tuesday's organiser can't make it now - someone has volunteered to do the honours, but has asked people to confirm they're coming - and I seem to be the only one who has, so far!

On Friday, back with UITCS again, for Pity, at the Royal Court - which I missed last week, when the same group was doing it with another organiser. Delighted to make this - also delighted to avail of a terrific Time Out offer of £12 tickets for Band B seats - the official price for Band D is £14, so this was great value! Sadly, now sold out. There was a mixed reaction to it last night, among those who'd seen it.. well, time will tell.

On Saturday, back with them again, for the very last performance of Spun, at the Arcola. Second in a row with a theme of terrorism - this one is about the London bombings. Beforehand, we're headed for dinner at the Stone Cave, a Turkish place - and afterwards, to the Aqua 7 wine bar.

On Sunday, back with Walking in London, and Katie of Look Up London! Delighted she has a new walk - Smithfield & Clerkenwell: Guts & Glory. It's actually cheaper on her own site than on Funzing - unless you're getting one of those common 10% discounts!

On Monday, I'm taking myself to the Proms, at the Albert Hall, for the first time in ages. This one is An Alpine Symphony.

On Tuesday, I'm finally back with North London Friends, for Give My Regards to Broadway, Upstairs at the Gatehouse. Completely sold out now, I believe.

Next Wednesday - London Literary Walks seems to be taking a break! That was the day I was looking at films for - but what was coming top was Teefa in Trouble. A Bollywood film - fine: except when I watched the trailer, the jokes weren't quite as funny to me as I think they were to the makers, and there was a bit too much exaggerated action - think slo-mo, and people balancing motorbikes on their fingertips. And 2.5 hours of all that was, I thought, a bit much - so no thanks. Which left Sanju again. Not so much.. so I then thought about heading, with UITCS, to Julie, again at the National. Huh! Only tickets left were £50, when I checked! I just checked again.. they now have two tickets for £26. Too late - I've already booked for a Heroism & Villainy Walking Tour (with Real Magic!), via Walking in London.

On the 2nd, I was also booked with them - for The Summer Ghost Walk. I've been with this guide before - found him very good. And then.. Ryanair announced another bloody strike!! Yes, for the next day. Yes, when I was to go to Ireland for the weekend. So now I'm flying on the 2nd, instead - happily, it was Funzing, so I'll get a refund. And they've even refunded me the credits that I used to book it! And I retain the record of bookings that'll earn me more credits. And at least I found out earlier this time, so booked an alternative flight earlier, so it was a bit cheaper.

On the 6th, Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group is off to Westferry Circus again, for The Importance of Being Earnest. Must remember to bring supplies, this time. And a hat.

On the 7th, UITCS is off to When Midnight Strikes, Upstairs at the Gatehouse.

On the 8th, London Literary Walks is back with Brook Green - another area near where I used to live! Actually, the first medical practice that I registered with, in London. Nice nurse - one very snarky doctor.

On the 9th, UITCS is back to the Camden Fringe, with How to Be a Londoner in an Hour, at the Hen & Chickens Theatre. Then I'm down to Helen's for the weekend, for a party..

And on the 13th, back with Anthony's Cultural Events and Walking Activities Group, back to Westferry Circus.. this time it's for A Woman of No Importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment