Tuesday 10 July 2018

Comedy: Garrett Millerick

Tonight, nothing appealed on Meetup, so I was back with my £3.60 club. Who, funnily enough, are only charging £2.40 (I guess they've noticed they have competition in the cheap ticket market!) to go see a standup show by Garrett Millerick at 2 Northdown. Nice n close, goodee!

Not quite close enough for me to fancy walking. There were a couple of buses I could get from just outside the office - and I was rushing, as usual - there's always something else grabbing my attention. The #214 was the first to come, and we nipped up the road fairly rapidly - the journey was comfortable enough until about 25 Italian students got on, filling the entire length of the single-decker bus and, indeed, starting a singsong! The softspoken woman on the phone beside me had terrible trouble with her conversation - it was no wonder, as I made to get past her to get off, that she remarked, "Lucky you!".

I got off with five minutes to go to showtime - happily, Northdown Street is only just up the road from where we stopped, and gee, 2 Northdown is right at the start of it. With a convenient chalkboard outside, advertising what's on. Can't miss it - but in case you're wondering, as you come from Pentonville Road, it's on the right. A table full of people was placed outside. Inside, I had to ask whether this was where the comedy was. I mean, it kind of looked like it, but it was a bit empty..


The lady lugging drinks around suggested that I get a drink, which I did - my wine was served in a tumbler. I mooched around, picked up a brochure for the Camden Fringe - eventually, someone asked someone else whether he should go round up the audience, which he then did. No sign of anyone asking for tickets - I strongly suspect I could have got in without one, although maybe I was the only stranger, and they knew I must be The One with a Ticket, since they didn't recognise my face; the comedian shortly gave the impression that it was pretty much all friends and staff.

As I made my way to the seats, the comedian urged me to fill from the front, as there was no interaction in the show. Hmm. I sat in the second row. Which was as far forward as anyone did. So, the minute he came on stage, he went "Hmm," and got one of the staff to help him to remove the front row of seats. Whereupon he shunned the stage and performed on the floor, in front of it. So I was in the front row, after all. As he said, "After all this time, in this garage, they finally get a stage - and first night out, I don't use it."


As usual at this time of year, with the Edinburgh Fringe coming up, much of the comedy available around London is Fringe preview - performers practicing for the main event. Sure enough, he brought his notes - although no pen to edit them with, as I've seen from some people. And the early part of his show displayed some nerves, I thought, as he sipped a beer and eased himself into it. A few rough edges, but he has a neat line of observation, and when his act is a bit more polished, it'll be very entertaining. He seems to base his stuff on real-life experiences; they have a ring of truth to them. Best routine of the night, for me, was his description of Catholic school. I ended up feeling quite self-conscious though, as - being a strange face in the front row - he kept focusing on me, and asked me the odd question (so much for no interaction); he didn't really seem comfortable with audience interaction in general, though. Hey-ho, as he was finishing he said it'd been most helpful. 

I bet he was glad to be finished - and I was glad to get home in daylight! Tomorrow, back with London Literary Walks (natch) for the Amy Winehouse Walk. A short one, this - and unfortunately, as before, clashing with the footie. A small turnout is expected, but I'm sure we'll have fun.

On Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Immaculate Correction, at the King's Head. Ages since I've been there - and it sounds like fun.

On Friday, Walking in London is taking me on a walking tour of The Secret History of Magic, Witchcraft & the Occult. Starting outside St. Paul's, of all places. Mmm yes, had my eye on this for a while. And being Funzing, the code crazy_fun will score you a 10% discount.

And on Saturday, why, I was spoiled for choice! UITCS alone has three events - I finally plumped for the first, chronologically: so we're off to see Machinal, at the Almeida. Always dependably good drama there - and again, close to me. And, it being Bastille Day, we're off to La Petite Auberge beforehand for lunch / brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment