Wednesday 4 July 2018

Walk: Sculpture in the City (2018)

Tonight, another late one - back with London Literary Walks, for the postponed Sculpture in the City walk. More people signed up for this one than last, which is nice. A late finish because of a late start - I don't mind, it gives me an excuse to do stuff in the office. Mind you, I did leave it a little late to set off - so instead of the bus, I took the Tube for once. Just to give me more time!

I was desperately relieved to get off of it.. it was stifling! Despite a slight downturn in temperatures. And Google Maps was reliable enough in telling me where to go - but jeez, just crossing roads around Bank was hard, with all the barriers they've erected for roadworks. Made it to the Crutched Friar about 10 minutes after the organiser had said he'd arrive - sure enough, a group was gathered around him: nice to see that again. And taking the Tube had given me time enough to have a drink - although not the whole bottle that the barman offered (a bargain, at half the price of the equivalent in glasses).

After a nice chat, we were off - with a first stop at St. Olave's. Nearby, something new - they've laid down paving stones in the park that depict elements of the life of Samuel Pepys! A bust of him, too. Very fetching.


More photos here. When we got onto the actual sculptures, we saw some interesting ones, some not-so-enthralling, some did nothing for me at all. But whatever the verdict, it was great to meander through the City streets, lit up like it was Christmas, and which we practically had all to ourselves. 


One of the last sculptures of the night was, you could say, an update to last year's black horse; this year, they've put him to work:


We mightn't have liked everything we saw, but that's art for you - and it was great to hang out with the group again. Always a must for me, when I can make it. We finished at Liverpool Street Station, where I availed of the 24-hour Tesco, and just nicely caught a bus home. Popped the dinners I'd bought in the fridge, and came upstairs - ironically, I'm now too tired to go back down for them! Bed beckons more strongly.

I'm back to Ireland for the weekend, which is bookended by two Up in the Cheap Seats events! Both booked very recently too, I might add. Tomorrow is Infinite Joy, at Southwark Playhouse - could hardly say no to that venue!

And on Monday, I'm off with them to A Monster Calls, at the Old Vic.

No comments:

Post a Comment