Saturday 14 July 2018

Play: Machinal

Today, why, I was spoiled for choice! Up in the Cheap Seats alone has three events - I finally plumped for the first, chronologically: so booked to see Machinal, at the Almeida. Always dependably good drama there - and again, close to me. And, it being Bastille Day, we headed off to La Petite Auberge beforehand for lunch / brunch!

I had a late night last night, but just squeezed in enough sleep. Handily, none of what I wanted to wear was still packed, so getting ready didn't take long - neither, surprisingly, did the walk to the restaurant! despite it being uphill, and hot. I ended up being the first there - apart from the organiser, I think. They'd arranged a long table for us, tucked away upstairs at the back. Ours was the only window not open - we soon remedied that, and the occasional breeze wafting across the table was most welcome.

I have to say, I loved what I had - I was the only one to choose a starter, but then the waiter suggested I have it with the main, and that worked out perfectly. I hadn't been able to resist - garlic mushrooms with cheese would have been far too heavy for a main course, but for a starter it was perfect, and went very well with the grilled chicken I had as a main. There was plenty more to tempt me, but not in this heat. A lovely lemon sorbet finished it off - and it's a while since I had the option of a carafe of wine - so I did, thank you! Mind you, although there was a lunch offer of a special price for two, or three, courses, I don't think it was applied when the bill came.. Never mind, it's a place I'd happily return to. And so convenient for the theatre!

We hung around in the lobby for a while - others who had decided to skip the meal were to join us there. I was glad when we went in - despite them having opened all the doors and windows, it was a bit stuffy in the lobby; the aircon in the theatre was great though. I had a side view - after a bit, an usher moved some people near us to more central seats and I improved my position slightly. A most sensible idea, to shift people around to minimise the effect of the empty seats - pity more places don't do that. Some are actively hostile to it!



This was taken from my original seat. No, that's not a lightsaber - a very brightly lit double bar crosses the protective screen over the stage, the screen parting for each scene. Before it does so, a projection tells you what "episode" you're going to see next, and gives a keyword that hints at its content.

It's a stunner. 80 minutes straight through, and I certainly didn't feel the length. Emily Berrington is compelling as the fragile young woman, weighted down by the mechanism of the society in which she lives, unable to live as she wants, and unable to have her voice heard, or explain to anyone how she feels. She lives with her overbearing mother, works in a pressurised environment that she seems to hate - unwisely, as it turns out, she sees marriage as her only get-out clause. The play is set in the 20s - and to be fair, in those days, a woman's choices were generally limited.

It's a beautifully balanced play - you can argue that her job isn't really that bad, that her marriage is a step up financially, and her husband is decent to her - but that isn't at all the point. The point is that she can't handle it. And she has no outlet for her frustration - as she screams near the end, she's always had to submit, and she'll submit no more! The theme is depressing, but we are constantly hoping for a breakthrough for her, it's supremely intense, and the mirrored, sloping ceiling adds to a claustrophobic feeling throughout. I loved it! Runs till next Saturday, and - as always with this theatre - highly recommended.

Afterwards, we chatted for a while before heading off - and I nearly melted on the way home, despite it being downhill! Still, it'd have been worse on a bus. The ice cream I bought at the end of my walk was truly welcome.

Tomorrow, well, my £3.60 club finally got tickets to Circa's Peepshow, the new cabaret circus act at Udderbelly! Awesome, another one I had my eye on - have seen cheap tickets for this already. This was much better than the other things advertised for that day - and with a regular price of £21.50 (or £26.50, at this short notice), a bargain, it has to be said - the regular price is quite high for a show that only lasts an hour. And it's in the evening, so I get a lie-in.. and it should be a bit cooler by the time I leave.

On Monday, I'm with Anthony's Cultural Events & Walking Activities group, to see The Tempest at the free Outdoor Theatre in Westferry Circus. Seating on the grass, in the middle of a roundabout, it seems. Apparently they provide mats. Well, that should be interesting! Just as well my evening meeting has been cancelled - this is an early start. Set in outer space, this one, it seems.

Speaking of which, on Tuesday I'm with London Science Events for a talk on Moon, Mars and Beyond at The Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there'll be an astronaut there, and - something I haven't heard of before - if you want his autograph, it'll cost you £20! (discount prices for members of the Institution). I think I can live without.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (but of course!) for The Belgravia Walk.

And on Thursday, I RSVPed with North London Friends, for the first time in ages, for End of Term Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks. And then, wouldn't you know it, Ryanair announced another pilots' strike - for the next day, when I was to go back to Ireland for the weekend! Nothing about it on their website, of course - and you know, if it affects me, I'll just find out at the last possible minute. Like all of those delayed flights that they only email you about - with the option to cancel or reschedule - when they're already in the air! (when it's actually legally too late to cancel, even if you don't go). I know from personal experience how hard it is to get last-minute flights - and how expensive. So, for safety's sake, I'm now flying on Thursday.. damnit, I'll never get to that Blues bar! And this group will think I'm avoiding them..

No comments:

Post a Comment