Monday 16 July 2018

Play: The Tempest

Tonight, I was with Anthony's Cultural Events & Walking Activities group, to see The Tempest at the free Outdoor Theatre in Westferry Circus. Seating on the grass, in the middle of a roundabout. Well, that promised to be interesting! Just as well my evening meetings were cancelled - this was an early start. Set in outer space, this one.

The usual last-minute shenanigans at work meant I couldn't leave quite as early as I wanted to - so to get there for the group's suggested meeting time of 6 (an hour before the start), I had to take the (sweltering) Tube. Two of them, in fact. Got off at Canary Wharf, and it was only a short walk to Westferry Circus - got a message, as I was in the final minutes of my journey, that they were in the middle of the grass. Sure enough, when I got there, there was a pedestrian crossing to the centre of the roundabout, which is ringed with trees. And there I found them, in a decent spot in front of the stage.

The organiser didn't remember me - but hey, he hasn't met me that often, and I only attend this group sporadically. No sign of any mats going, so I plonked myself on the grass - probably artificial; it's oddly green, in this heat, and frankly very scratchy - I wasn't the only one who found it uncomfortable. As usual, I introduced myself by the method of adding my name at the end of his round of introductions, and to be fair, he included me thereafter! I do recommend arriving that early - it got very full. The mats were handed out about half an hour before the start - most welcome, simple plastic sheets in a little plastic bag.


My only problem with this was my lack of practice at prolonged sitting on the ground - it's been a while, and I was stiff as a board! Hope I didn't irritate anyone with my constant wriggling. And, for a brief while, I wished I'd brought a hat. Otherwise, it was a spectacular hybrid of Shakespeare, Star Trek, Star Wars.. and Alien!


(Note the costumes - and the backdrop!) Great rock soundtrack, performed by the artists themselves:


And Ariel played a blinder, with some clever magic tricks:


They finished on American Idiot - an homage to a recent visitor. ;-) What's not to like..?

We didn't go for a drink afterwards, although someone asked - our organiser didn't think Monday was a good day for it. So I caught a bus back - very conveniently, right across the roundabout! And now if you'll excuse me, I have to run to Tesco before they close..!

Speaking of Outer Space, tomorrow I'm with London Science Events for a talk on Moon, Mars and Beyond at The Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there'll be an astronaut there, and - something I haven't heard of before - if you want his autograph, it'll cost you £20! (discount prices for members of the Institution). I think I can live without.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (but of course!) for The Belgravia Walk.

And on Thursday, I RSVPed with North London Friends, for the first time in ages, for End of Term Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks. And then, wouldn't you know it, Ryanair announced another pilots' strike - for the next day, when I was to go back to Ireland for the weekend! Nothing about it on their website, of course - and you know, if it affects me, I'll just find out at the last possible minute. Like all of those delayed flights that they only email you about - with the option to cancel or reschedule - when they're already in the air! (when it's actually legally too late to cancel, even if you don't go). I know from personal experience how hard it is to get last-minute flights - and how expensive. So, for safety's sake, I'm now flying on Thursday.. damnit, I'll never get to that Blues bar! And this group will think I'm avoiding them..

No comments:

Post a Comment