Sunday 15 July 2018

Circus: Circa's Peepshow

Today, well, my £3.60 club finally got tickets to Circa's Peepshow, the new cabaret circus act at Udderbelly! Awesome, another one I had my eye on - had seen cheap tickets for this already. This was much better than the other things advertised for today - and with a regular price of £21.50 (or £26.50, at this short notice), a bargain, it has to be said. And it was in the evening, so I got a lie-in..

Spent most of the day in my room - which is reasonably cool, as I'm keeping the blinds permanently closed. Makes sense, if the alternative is for the sun to superheat the place.. not to mention that I can't easily get to the window for boxes! I also greatly impressed myself by digging out of boxes all the clothes I wanted for today.. see, it can be done. During the day, I got an advertising email for this show - seems you can get £15 tickets (much cheaper than normal) by quoting the code ROCKSTAR15, valid for all shows from Tuesday to the end of the month. By the time I ventured out.. it was still like an oven. This time, I was glad of the bus - sweltering as it was. Walking would have been torture.

By the time we got south of the river, I was dizzy with the heat - having a backwards-facing seat didn't help. But I survived, and made it to the box office at about a quarter to seven (show at 7). Joined the queue - it's in the Spiegeltent, with unreserved seating, and it pays to grab a seat as soon as you can. As I waited, my ticket was torn - and they were handing out free programmes! (marked price £10). Gee, I suspect they're having trouble getting people to spend money on this..

Barely five minutes before doors opened - at about 10 minutes before showtime. Some folks had got in early - I think they had VIP tickets. Inside - with glorious aircon - with no-one to tell us where to sit, I got myself a second-row seat to the side. It wasn't full, anyway. Sadly, no photography during the show.


Seven performers - you can find out all about them in the programme, which I wouldn't bother buying, it's the usual fare of glossy photos and ads. Now, I read a review of this that was quite dismissive, saying that the performers dropped things, fell over.. I do have to admit, the juggler could use some practice. However, that's just a tiny element of the show - and the rest is beautifully done, and occasionally spectacular! Truly artistic quirks on hula-hoop spinning and acrobatics, and some poses that will stay with me forever, accompanied by a well-thought out soundtrack.

An excellent show, thoughtfully staged - great to be so close, too. Highly recommended - even if I don't think their take on "peepshow" really came across. Still, there is some mild stripping. Nothing you can't really take the family to. Now running to the 18th of next month - do get a discount if you can, but of course, they really do work for their money, and to be fair, given what they present, the official price isn't excessive.

Mercifully, it was cool by the time I finally got off the bus home! At last.. Tomorrow, I'm with Anthony's Cultural Events & Walking Activities group, to see The Tempest at the free Outdoor Theatre in Westferry Circus. Seating on the grass, in the middle of a roundabout, it seems. Apparently they provide mats. Well, that should be interesting! Just as well my evening meeting has been cancelled - this is an early start. Set in outer space, this one, it seems.

Speaking of which, on Tuesday I'm with London Science Events for a talk on Moon, Mars and Beyond at The Royal Institution. Tickets from Eventbrite. And there'll be an astronaut there, and - something I haven't heard of before - if you want his autograph, it'll cost you £20! (discount prices for members of the Institution). I think I can live without.

On Wednesday, back with London Literary Walks (but of course!) for The Belgravia Walk.

And on Thursday, I RSVPed with North London Friends, for the first time in ages, for End of Term Moors Bar Blues Jam and Drinks. And then, wouldn't you know it, Ryanair announced another pilots' strike - for the next day, when I was to go back to Ireland for the weekend! Nothing about it on their website, of course - and you know, if it affects me, I'll just find out at the last possible minute. Like all of those delayed flights that they only email you about - with the option to cancel or reschedule - when they're already in the air! (when it's actually legally too late to cancel, even if you don't go). I know from personal experience how hard it is to get last-minute flights - and how expensive. So, for safety's sake, I'm now flying on Thursday.. damnit, I'll never get to that Blues bar! And this group will think I'm avoiding them..

No comments:

Post a Comment