Saturday 26 March 2016

Restaurant: Jim Edwards

Back in Ireland, snuffling away. My constitution just can't take this climate - I spend my entire time with my nose in a hankie! However, I managed to evade the torrential rain for my trip to Cork - just as well, considering it was the danger of flooding that prevented me from going there last Christmas..

I was, of course, visiting my friend who lives in Garrettstown. Didn't get there at all last year - we couldn't schedule it last Easter. Anyway, on Thursday, off I went in brilliant sunshine. They were away till evening, mind, so it was late-ish when I left. Still, I should've made it in time - we were to meet in the car park in Kinsale at 6:30 and go for something to eat. Until I met horrendous traffic while passing through Cork City - well, that put paid to that idea, and with small kids in the car, they returned home, and I met them there instead, half an hour late.

We had an awful lot of catching up to do, and it was a while before we set out again - but we still got back to Kinsale before 8:30. Jim Edwards we tried last time, and Jim Edwards we tried again; she was dubious about getting a table, but actually, the place was nearly empty, and we chose a cosy corner table.

My choice of starter was pretty immediate - I saw, and fancied, the golden fried mushrooms (unusually, not garlic), and I had those. For main course, I was determined to have the chicken chasseur - until my friend chose a steak sandwich, and I decided on that for myself as well. For her starter, she fancied the brie, which was on the set menu rather than the a la carte - no problem.

And we had a half bottle of wine. Which expanded to a second half bottle by the time we got through the starters! Well, they were very large portions - an unusually large number of mushrooms for me, huge pieces of brie for her. Her steak sandwich was well done, mine medium - she ate hers like a regular sandwich, with her hands, but that didn't work so well for mine, especially with blood running from the meat. Knife and fork it was for me.

The food was tasty, and despite the large portions we did our food justice. We polished off the wine, of course, but just didn't have room for dessert. Friendly service, good quality food, and prices much more reasonable than I'm used to, make this a reliable dinner spot in Kinsale. Go see for yourself..


I fly back to London on Wednesday. On Thursday, I'm back in action, going to see Bad Jews at Pentland Theatre - it's funny, I had loads of offer emails for this, but all for the run at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, which is just over. Damn long trip up there, and I'll probably be in Guildford that day - well, we'll see.


On Friday, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts Meetup - we're off to see The Caretaker, starring Timothy Spall, at the Old Vic. And on Saturday, I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! (yay..) for The Fifth Column, at Southwark Playhouse. Love the group, love the venue, love Hemingway - and when Helen heard, she was tempted enough to come too. So that'll be a fun day out..

No comments:

Post a Comment