Saturday 12 March 2016

Concert: Iness Mezel

Such a pity I didn't get to go to Rich Mix on Wednesday - I love the venue, and know the organiser from other London European Club events. But och! it was raining, it had taken me two hours to get back from Guildford, I was very tired, I was hungry, I wasn't going to have time to eat, it was over late and I had to be up early and would be even more tired.. the list was endless, and it was a free concert anyway. So I cancelled, and had a very nice night in.

Come Thursday, ironically, it took me just as long to get back from Guildford - what a dreadful week for traffic! No fewer than three accidents on the A3, you see.. my passenger was very vexed, he missed his yoga class. But I'd had a decent night's sleep for a change, and although again I wouldn't have time to eat, I wasn't that hungry - besides, I'm working from home today, so I could eat late. So off I went, on the journey I should've taken on Wednesday.

I still nearly fell asleep on the Overground to Shoreditch. Turn left from the station, there's an interesting wire fence like that bridge in Paris, with "love" padlocks on it, that people have written their names on. I'd have taken a photo if my phone hadn't been dead again.. turn right on the main road, continue to where it forks, and you can see Rich Mix a short distance ahead, on the left. Much more convenient for the Overground than for the Tube..

The organiser had said he'd be there from 7, but had no table in the café - I sat in the lobby, where he came and introduced himself in due course, having heard me give my name when I was getting my hand stamped. There were a few of us - the main space, where the concert was to take place, didn't open till 8, and he told us he had reserved a corner of it, with tables and sofas. So when we went in, two of us dashed for a sofa - a slightly dangerous option, as it rolls really easily. The suspension was also gone - but what the hey, it was comfy, with a good view of the stage - the room is large enough, but it's not long, so you're never that far away.

When I went to the bar on the side to get a drink, she poured me a good - and cheap - house white (in plastic), but couldn't yet give me change - the till hadn't arrived. And it was a while until it did. Think it's a cash bar, too. Hey-ho, the concert didn't start until 8.30, and I had plenty of time to chat to my fellow members beforehand - I do like the World Music Meetup, which attracts a good mixture of nationalities (Algerian, French, and Tunisian that night, at least..) It's a pity I haven't got to more of their Meetups, but they always seem to clash with something. I'd also signed up with the London European Club for this - the organiser is a member of both, and advertised it on both pages - but there weren't any others there from that group, as far as I was aware, despite some having said they'd come.

At 8.30, Iness Mezel and her band took the stage - no support. Now, the last time I was here was a while ago, also with World Music Meetup, as it happens; I don't remember who was playing, but it didn't appeal to me at all, and I left early. No such trouble last night - after some sound problems in the first number, I thought, she was terrific! A heady, slightly crazy mix of blues and African rhythms, with some really beautiful Berber numbers, entertained us for an hour or so before she took a well deserved break. Every second number, pretty much, was a lively one - which made it difficult for her to catch her breath for the slower numbers in between. Because she not only sang - she seemed incapable of not dancing, and wanted us to do the same - apart from a couple of people, she didn't get her way until she restarted after the break and we all got up. Once we did, of course, it was infectious - much easier to stay up than to get up. And we had a great night!

An obliging performer, at the break she happily posed for selfies.. I bought a copy of her cd. The second bit was shorter than the first, and after she gave a brief interview at the end, we were out of there for 10.30 - handy, as my last train was due to leave just after 11. Really recommended, if she happens by your way!

Well, by the time I got home it was nearly midnight, and I didn't have time to blog. Then, when I'd nearly finished this post yesterday, my internet crashed! Hope my flatmates have it fixed by the time I get back tomorrow. I'm back in Ireland for the weekend now, despite the best efforts of London fog, which delayed all yesterday's flights.. and after hours of iffy internet, and when it was fixed, the blog site being down.. I finally got online to do this. Good to be back!

We were supposed to be off to the final night of the Clare Drama Festival tonight, in my old school, but my mother's now decided she doesn't want the hassle. As she says, we'd have to figure out parking.. and we'd eat in Nuala's, whose service tends to be slow.. and it's adjudication night, which means tons of waiting around for votes, for plays we haven't seen..

Back in London, I'm headed to the Crick Crack Club on Monday, who are back at Soho Theatre for an evening of storytelling entitled UniVerse - as ever with these, booking essential; they always sell out. On Tuesday, I'm with Let's Do London - for Less! again, as they head to Cyrano de Bergerac at Southwark Playhouse - one of the Man with the Hat's preferred venues, and a good one.

On Wednesday, I got a cheap ticket to a concert by the Coppell High School Band, at the Central Hall, Westminster. A new venue for me! Cool, I do like to keep discovering them. On Thursday, Kensington Classical Music is off to a concert by the Trio Isimsiz - you had to get your own ticket, though, then pay extra to join the group at the concert. Huh. I'll avoid them, and the extra charge - have to be discreet though, I believe it's a small room! It's at the 1901 Arts Club - another first for me.


On Friday, I was supposed to join Spooky London for their monthly spooky pub night - but the venue was never announced, and now it seems to have been cancelled.. Instead, I'm off with the London European Club again, to an excellent-sounding event, entitled French Chanson and Swing, at Jamboree. Third new place in a row.. And on Saturday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for an event entitled Seven Princesses - at Rich Mix, which will be my first event there with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment