Tuesday 22 March 2016

Opera: I Capuleti e i Montecchi

Let's Do London - for less! Pop-up Opera. The Vaults. No-brainer - I booked as soon as I saw it.

I was in Guildford yesterday, but since this was around Waterloo, it wouldn't take long from home. Mind you, since it was around Waterloo - and the Leake Street entrance, the one I was previously familiar with, was closed - I made sure I knew where I was going. Hey, I even got lost while tracing the route to Lounge 34 - where we were to meet - on Streetview..

So, the traffic was light and I got to Waterloo in plenty of time. Around by Waterloo Road (exits to the right of the concourse as you come off the trains) and at the Old Vic, hang a right. This is where I got lost on Streetview - there are a few roads here. I wanted Lower Marsh.. head down the street to the right of Cubana, with the giant mural of the Latina dancer. Lounge 34 is just a bit down on the left.

The group was in the far corner when I arrived - and comprised most of the clientele, from what I could see. Well, it was a Monday! I could've got a drink, but it would've been a slight rush, and I didn't feel like rushing. Very chilled out, I was, on this last evening out before I fly back to Ireland for Easter. We chatted there while more drifted in - and at about 7, our Shepherd in the Hat trotted off to see whether the theatre was open yet. He reappeared shortly after to say that it was - and kudos to the lady who'd just got a glass of wine, and had it finished by the time I made it to the door! Couldn't have done it better myself.

This entrance is on Launcelot Street - left from Lounge 34 and the next right. Straight away, and typically for the Vaults, it got a bit mysterious - you don't enter by the large gate straight ahead, but by a door to the left. And we queued, while our names were ticked off a list. Then down a typically dark and mysterious tunnel (you'd have to come back out here for the toilet, BTW). Past a bar, up some steps, to a rather cool space where you could have your drink, on one of several slightly scruffy sofas. Where we queued again, listening to the odd snatch of operatic singing - we took it they were rehearsing.

We were finally admitted to the theatre proper. I hadn't been in this bit of the Vaults before - seating, on cinema-style seats that looked a bit worse for wear (but were quite comfortable), was tiered, and as we entered, we were asked please not to leave any spaces, as the performance was sold out. Nice wide steps meant I didn't have a problem with the stairs, for once. Good legroom, I noted as I sat.. funny how the seating in an underground tunnel is more comfortable than many an ornate theatre overhead.

Conscious of the fact that there'd be surtitles to read, we sat fairly close to the front. The words were projected onto a flat bit straight ahead, to the left side of the stage, and also on a blank bit of wall to the right - which came in very handy when singers got in the way of the other projection. And the programme seller was out in force again, merrily flogging as many programmes as he could before the show. I noted he had an assistant this time. Kind of. I gathered he, too, was selling programmes by the fact that he was carrying a big pile of them, and looking around him. Otherwise, you wouldn't have guessed.

We started a bit late. So, I Capuleti e i Montecchi (The Capulets and the Montagues) is based on Romeo & Juliet, with just a few tweaks. To start with, Romeo is traditionally sung by a woman. Juliet is now Giulietta, and her father makes more of an appearance - in this production, sung by a chap with a prodigious beard. Lorenzo is aligned to the Capulets, and has been helping Romeo for ages to have an affair with Giulietta. The whole thing starts with Romeo making a futile attempt to broker a peace deal - then Tebaldo, who's always wanted to marry Giulietta, persuades her father to hasten the wedding, and we're off in a frenzy of wedding preparations, with an understandably reluctant bride.

Pop-up Opera.. must be summer again! I love them, always have - the standard of performance is very high, and it's so fantastic to hear arias booming out so close to you. The Vaults make for good acoustics, and we were wowed throughout as they threw themselves into their parts. Fabulous, in such a unique venue..

The interval found us discovering the free WiFi, and one of us getting lost on her way to the loo. And there were some interesting touches in the second act. For one thing, I like this Giulietta! Fiestier than the original Juliet, this one stands up for herself.. argues with her dad, argues with Romeo - why must I be the one to give up everything? What are you giving up?! Stands in front of a gun to protect Romeo at one point (probably swords in the original, but anyway). And ooh - for her tomb scene, they have her in her wedding dress and veil - and standing! Kind of an elevated corpse idea. And.. poseable! Romeo is trying to bring her back to life, and pulling her arms out and turning her face to the side - crikey, in this setting, it was like watching the Bride of Frankenstein.

Yes, I do like this update. They're touring with this around the south of England until 7 May - one night only in each venue. Check them out - terrific performances, as up close to opera as you're ever likely to get, and terrific value.

Afterwards, with doors open at both ends of the theatre, we weren't quite sure which way to go for the Man with the Hat. We plumped for the rear, where we'd come in - and indeed, there he was, packing me off again to lead the thirsty back to Lounge 34. Not that many accompanied us, mind - well, we select few again comprised the bar's clientele until, after a succession of progressively less subtle hints, the barman finally gave up and just asked us, ever so nicely, if we'd leave..? So, reluctantly, we did - all heading back towards Waterloo, except for the Man with the Hat, who wended his solitary way in t' other direction. Another excellent night.. and Happy Easter to all!

Back to Ireland tonight, and nothing of note on the horizon before I fly back to London, on the 30th. On the 31st, I'm back in action, going to see Bad Jews at Pentland Theatre - it's funny, I had loads of offer emails for this, but all for the run at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, which is just over. Damn long trip up there, and I'll probably be in Guildford that day - well, we'll see.

Which brings us into April - on the 1st, I'm back with the London Dramatic Arts Meetup - we're off to see The Caretaker, starring Timothy Spall, at the Old Vic. And on the 2nd, I'm back with Let's Do London - for less! (yay..) for The Fifth Column, at Southwark Playhouse. Love the venue, love Hemingway - and when Helen heard, she was tempted enough to come too. So that'll be a fun day out, being a Saturday..

No comments:

Post a Comment