Monday 21 March 2016

Organ Recital

I was without anything specific to do yesterday - until last Thursday, when the London European Club saved the day with an organ recital in All Saints' Church, Margaret Street. Free, with a suggested donation of £5. Lovely - I decided to go.

With nothing else to do all day but get out of bed and feed myself, of course I was rushing in the end. We were to meet beforehand in Yumchaa, a tea shop not far away from the church - turned out be pretty much the route I take to Dean Street, but turn off early from Oxford Street, turning right on Berwick Street instead. It's a little way down on the left, just on a corner.

As I made my way to the counter to order, I spotted the organiser in the queue ahead of me - good timing, then! I ordered a hot chocolate, which was rapidly served, and he grabbed a small table - the place was pretty packed. Just as well, in the end, that only one other person showed up there. And the hot chocolate was excellent, might I add - and it's something I'm picky about. Mind you, tea seems to be their specialty, with 400 different blends. Nice, cosy place to know about - free WiFi n all - and I'm assured it's less busy during the week.

The church was to be open to the public at about 7, after Benediction - so we trotted along there in due course, our organiser pointing out to us the many religious institutions on Margaret Street. It wasn't long before we came across the one we were after - the ornate porch gives it away, and the spire is visible from Oxford Street, if you know where to look. We waited in the courtyard while Benediction finished - we could hear the congregation inside.

We filed in when we could, taking seats in the main aisle. It's fabulously ornate - pictures available at the "organ recital" link above. And I was struck, having been raised Catholic, at the similarities to that church in what is an Anglican church - not only the ornate design, but the covering of statues in purple cloth for Lent, and the clergy's antiquated costumes, the likes of which haven't been worn by Catholic priests for years (well, certainly not for walking around).. ankle-length cassocks, and capes, for goodness' sake! Looked gorgeous, mind.

The organist was introduced to us - a second-year student at the Royal College of Music, he looked about 12! He gave a short intro to each piece he'd be playing - which we had the details of, courtesy of the fliers that had been handed out (again, this is pictured at the "organ recital" link above. And then he made his way all around the altar to the organ, hidden behind a screen on the left of the altar as you looked at it.

The concert lasted something over an hour, and consisted of five pieces, the sound swelling gloriously to fill this quite small space. Although preferences varied among our group, my personal preference was for the older, Baroque pieces - although all were spectacular, and a lovely, contemplative way to end Palm Sunday.

Afterwards, we passed our donations to the fellow with the basket, standing discreetly at the door, and after another brief look around, we headed to the door on the other side of the courtyard, where a steep and narrow spiral staircase led down to the bar. Which - as the organiser remarked - reminded him of sports clubs when he was a kid. Yep, I concur - a bare room, some simple tables and chairs, and a bar at the end. At £2 for a glass of decent wine, however, I wasn't complaining! They close quite early, mind, and we left as they were clearing glasses, just before 9. As we made our way up the stairs again, someone called out that the exit wasn't that way! but with the courtyard gate still open, we left the way we'd come.

A lovely evening, good company, and a good prelude to Easter. Tonight, for something completely different..  my last Meetup before Easter sees me back with - surprise, surprise, Let's Do London - for less! The Man with the Hat is taking us underground - to the Vaults. Jeez, it's ages since I've been there - definitely more a warm-weather venue, we may have to keep our coats on! Pop-up Opera is staging their version of Romeo & Juliet down there. Romantic, down in the dark? Well, as long as I don't get dripped on.. I'll tell you this much, it's about as complicated to get to as anything around Waterloo, I just spent some time on Streetview confirming the route.. and I think I'll take a printout of the directions (as given by the Man with the Hat) with me.

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for just over a week, for Easter - dates specifically chosen for the cheapest flights! I fly back to London on the 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment