Saturday 19 March 2016

Storytelling: 7 Princesses

When I heard the Crick Crack Club had a meeting tonight, I rushed to book it. Love a good story, me. This one, unusually in my experience of the group, was in Rich Mix - 7 Princesses was the intriguing title.

Again, the drive would've been too complicated - and I've discovered my phone simply doesn't have space for Waze, that'll have to wait till I get a new one. Good incentive to do so though - I've been checking it out online, looks like the way to go! Back to sourcing my route - not only would the drive have been too much, but I remember not seeing obvious parking around the venue. So, Overground to Shoreditch High Street again.

Now, I remembered the bar in Rich Mix only taking cash, at least in the main space, where I was before. So I determined to get some cash before I left - would you believe, there isn't a cash machine in Clapham Junction Station? The closest was probably on St. John's Hill - I decided to try for the earlier train, and take my chances with a cash machine in Shoreditch - as it happened, I came across one outside the Sainsbury's across the road from Rich Mix.

Both times I've been in Rich Mix before have been in the Main Space - well, tonight was an eye-opener! That had been my only impression of the building - actually, tonight's performance was upstairs, as it happened; a sign in the lobby had an arrow pointing to the lift, and directions to the Crick Crack Club in Venue 1, or an art installation in Venue 2 (both on the 4th floor).. the Main space was devoted, tonight, to comedy. I had to queue at the ticket desk first - never have I seen such a queue here. Busy, busy night.

There's only one lift, but I didn't have to wait long - when you alight, Venue 2 is on the left, Venue 1 on the right. And, about 10 minutes before the advertised start time, it wasn't yet open. The guy standing guard to make sure we didn't go in helpfully pointed out the bar, conveniently located between the Venues - so I popped over there, where they were automatically handing out drinks in plastic containers. I see the installation had a buffet. Hmph!

We were let in about five minutes early. And I was duly impressed - Venue 1 is a substantial space, with a large performance area and tiered seating. What the hey, I sat in the front row. For once, this didn't sell out completely - almost, but not quite! And as I sat, I contemplated the stage. Firstly, although I didn't remember the details I'd read about the performance, it was obvious there'd be more than one performer; to the side, a chair was almost completely surrounded by musical instruments, including a table on which various music-making devices had been placed. Now, someone had to be making use of all that - but since it didn't provide a conducive setting for storytelling, someone else would have to do that.. The rest of the stage was mainly populated by 1, 2, 3.. yes, 7 hairdresser's dummy heads, arranged in an arc, and all adorned with long, curling wigs. These would be the princesses, I mused.

There was a considerable delay while the audience trooped in, and finally the man in the (suit and) hat welcomed us, and introduced our entertainers - yes, a storyteller and a musician. She (the storyteller, Xanthe Gresham) took her place centre stage - he (the musician, Arash Moradi) clambered into his chair, from where he adorned the stories she told, with a constant musical backdrop.

We were served an Iranian tale in honour of Nowruz, the Iranian New Year. And yes, she donned the wigs. The story basically concerns a prince who falls for, and marries, seven princesses, then builds a palace with seven different-coloured domes, one for each of them. And he spends a night with each one, and each tells him a story from her land. As our storyteller wove the stories for us, she swapped one wig for another.. even picking up a (red, naturally) accordion to accompany her tale of the (red) Russian princess.

She knows how to tell a story. And required audience participation! (Don't worry, mainly just in making sounds.) And each story had the most fantastic musical accompaniment - with a variety of instruments, some of which seemed specially tailored for the purpose. But the highlight of the whole evening, for me, was the last bit just before the interval, when they both sat on the floor in the middle of the room, a spotlight trained on them, and he told a tale himself, neglecting his tanbour for a spell.. he's Iranian himself, and it was just as though we were sitting in the desert, listening to tales around the dim light of a campfire on a pitch black night..

Spellbinding stuff. Can't wait for my next storytelling outing - although that'll have to wait till next month, what with Easter n all. Climbed a lot of stairs, back up to the Overground platform, and JUST arrived in time for a train to Clapham Junction. Just as well - there's a 15-minute gap between those trains, you know.

For tomorrow, the London European Club just on Thursday announced an organ concert at the church of All Saints, Margaret Street.. free, with suggested donation of £5. So I've said I'll go..

On Monday, my last Meetup before Easter sees me back with - surprise, surprise, Let's Do London - for less! The (main) Man with the Hat is taking us underground - to the Vaults. Jeez, it's ages since I've been there - definitely more a warm-weather venue, we may have to keep our coats on! Pop-up Opera is staging their version of Romeo & Juliet down there. Romantic, down in the dark? Well, as long as I don't get dripped on.. And then I'm back to Ireland for just over a week, for Easter - dates specifically chosen for the cheapest flights! I fly back to London on the 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment